Thread: Article: Advertising for a Game

Blog Entries

Default Article: Advertising for a Game

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Salvor Hardin, Foundation

The one and only Dwarven Warrior!

I agree that's a much better sell... but is it necessary? In my experience if a gamemaster posts "I'm running a game... its got dragons." He'll be buried in players within a week.

Blog Entries

You might be buried in player requests; that are empty. However, if you DMs put more effort into the recruitment you they just might get hits from people that are actually interested and want to play in the same world as you them.

I absolutely avoid even looking at a recruitment that I can't read. (Not that mine are ever free from errors.) Just posting a list of raw data without even formatting it is much more likely to draw flaky players, in my opinion, than taking the time to give your ad a voice of its own.

I have a recruitment up for a game right now that has drawn some interest, but must not meet the needs of the players because I have only sold two people on it. But the two people I have sold are actually interested and are working with me to make sure the game will work for us all.

how many responses have you seen like; "yeah, dat be cool," "hey, can I play a half dragon-godling with fire wings?" or even better is the radon post with a set of stat rolls. Really? Come on, man.

I think I'd be interested in at least talking about Greystone above.
    Last edited by Blynbradden; 05-04-2013 at 06:11 AM. Reason: Sounded snarky, my bad.

Personally, I wholeheartedly support this, and plan to use this as a bare minimum baseline for my own advertisements when I finally stop dawdling and choose one of my thousand ideas to run with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blynbradden View Post
    how many responses have you seen like; "yeah, dat be cool," "hey, can I play a half dragon-godling with fire wings?" or even better is the radon post with a set of stat rolls. Really? Come on, man.
    I like what Joshua76 used once: providing a scene as a prompt, to which the players write their character's response and activity, as they would in game.
    It shows you how dedicated the players are to expressing a character concept in a way that someone won't need a spellchecker to translate, and gives an early signal for things like your half-dragon friend. Even better, it sets a tone for similar scenes in the game itself.

Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising