Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990

Thread: Around the tavern table.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Theprettiestorc View Post
    "... I like your comparison." The sea, huh? Dark, aggressive, or even calming. She hasn't really been called majestic, either. "I can do that. I think it will... help me find out who that is, now, too. I suppose we both left something on that forsaken dustbowl." Thinking, Tsu looks towards the other buildings. Let's see.

"What do you do for fun? Out of curiosity. I don't think it's bladework, and I'm not a great dancer, but I do know how to swim."
    "Swim? Hell no." Dagge chuckles softly. "The biggest water I ever encountered was during a short lived stint as a Tunneler journeyman. Put me right off the stuff." He thinks for a moment.
    "I play a pretty mean hand of cards. And I sculpted some small pebbles to pass what little free time I have... I had. Guess I have nothing but free time now. I really don't kniw how to dance either... But how hard can it be? It's just fancy walking. We could learn together?"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    "Nonsense." Urfael assures her. "They can't touch you. They could try and harm the White Star, but at this point the time to do that without fear of reprisals is over. Also... I'm sorry, but I was under the impression I was talking to an accomplished and, forgive my common vernacular, badass witch? I have some resources in case you want to procure some useful spells. I suggest we both go to the church, identify weak spots in its organisation, charm, curse and otherwise hex our way in and take possession of the reports we need. Sister to Lamashtu? Princess of Mesurat? Scourge of the Bad Moon? Thwarter of the Box of Under? They don't stand a chance." he speaks, winking.
    Sarvine stares into Urfael's eyes for a long moment before sighing deeply. "We did burn out those goblins really well..." The witch mutters as she hears Urfael's reassuring voice. She takes another deep breath and tries to move past her initial paranoid panic attack, with at least some success.
    "I need some disguise spells then. I really don't want this to be traced back to the white star if possible, or maybe we can place the blame on someone else." Her mind begins working again, the devious little gears coming back into play as she gives a small smile.
    "You are risking quite a lot to help me with this. Expecting lots of gratitude are we?" Her expression doesn't waver, and her tone is playful, but she still wants to know. He seems rather eager to help her for gaining who knows what.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

Blog Entries

Tarsus nods a wordless thanks to the Usurers' messenger, and takes the book from him with his free hand. He examines its cover, running his thumb along its title. He inhales sharply, then looks to Elsa. "Party's over for me," he declares, before looking to Synn. When he makes eye contact, he mouths "I'm sorry." A celebration will have to wait. He has no intention of keeping this book, or paying for it, and so he'll need all of his focus and time to study it. He leaves his drink on a passing tray, and begins to leaf through the tome, looking up at Elsa. "Find Sarvine. Send her to my study. When the party's over, you'll join us." His words make clear he's not asking, a tone he hasn't taken since he acceded authority to run the outfit to Tsukohari, but one he's going to have to grow accustomed to again.
    Last edited by theScrappy; 04-12-2019 at 06:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    Tarsus nods a wordless thanks to the Usurers' messenger, and takes the book from him with his free hand. He examines its cover, running his thumb along its title. He inhales sharply, then looks to Elsa. "Party's over for me," he declares, before looking to Synn. When he makes eye contact, he mouths "I'm sorry." A celebration will have to wait. He has no intention of keeping this book, or paying for it, and so he'll need all of his focus and time to study it. He leaves his drink on a passing tray, and begins to leaf through the tome, looking up at Elsa. "Find Sarvine. Send her to my study. When the party's over, you'll join us." His words make clear he's not asking, a tone he hasn't taken since he acceded authority to run the outfit to Tsukohari, but one he's going to have to grow accustomed to again.
    Synn's face darkens and she strides over to Tarsus. She doesn't walk, nor does she glide; her form of movement expresses at once flawless grace, composure and being extremely miffed. She doesn't ask what is going on, merely tilts the book in Tarsus' hands so she can see what is causing her such annoyance. Her face softens somewhat when she sees the writer and denomination.
    "Boy, you must really want to get the White Star's reputation into depths unbeknownst to man with the churches. First the radical faith and now a genuine Fisk... I take from your expression you aren't familiar with the author. Fair enough. Fisk was a brilliant archmage with a serious fixation on explaining how the entire metaphysical reality works. He wrote some very astute treaties on the Cataclysm and on how the winds of magic affect drifting realms. As time went on he became a recluse, working on his grand masterpiece. He also began to use copious amounts if narcotics to enhance his mind. It cost him his life, which isn't so bad a problem, but mire importantly his mind. He went full on completely batshit crazy. Swore a second coming of Lamashtu was at hand, which confused the church of the Mother to no end since they had no idea what he was rambling about. When the book was printed he added insult to injury but he vanished. Gone without a trace. The book offends the churches so because in between the illegible parts he calls the gods and all outsiders automatons. Nothing more than just doing what they're supposed to be doing. And as such completely unworthy of worship. The mage guild censured the book out of a practical point of view. It's hard enough to teach students how not to unravel existence without such ramblings muddying the waters."
    Quote Originally Posted by GhoulRising View Post
    Sarvine stares into Urfael's eyes for a long moment before sighing deeply. "We did burn out those goblins really well..." The witch mutters as she hears Urfael's reassuring voice. She takes another deep breath and tries to move past her initial paranoid panic attack, with at least some success.
    "I need some disguise spells then. I really don't want this to be traced back to the white star if possible, or maybe we can place the blame on someone else." Her mind begins working again, the devious little gears coming back into play as she gives a small smile.
    "You are risking quite a lot to help me with this. Expecting lots of gratitude are we?" Her expression doesn't waver, and her tone is playful, but she still wants to know. He seems rather eager to help her for gaining who knows what.
    Urfael is a man who never lies. He demonstrates it thusly:
    "Isn't it obvious? I've been smitten with you ever since I first saw you... And I'm trying to get into your pants. Besides, prince Urfael has a nice hypothetical ring to it."
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Blog Entries

Default Around the tavern table.

"Well," Tarsus says, making it clear he is not to be dissuaded, "I'll try not to unravel too much. Somebody wants me to read this. Even setting aside my radical faith, the man's got a point. The god of war, the god of death, the god of love—they don't change. They fill a role. An important one, but a role nonetheless. That doesn't strike you as a little automated? And the worst kept secret in this company," he adds in a whisper, "is that she already second-came. No, I need answers. This Company needs answers. I'm sure I'll find far more than what we're looking for, maybe even most of it is bollocks, but all I need is to know more than I know now, and I know this book will give me that."

"Enjoy the party, love. I'm sorry to let you down. Elsa, I will need your and Sarvine's help. Oparal, too. Join me at your earliest convenience. I want to copy every word."
    Last edited by theScrappy; 04-14-2019 at 09:49 PM.

Blog Entries

Sarvine stares for a moment, stunned by the honesty that Urfael shows. Everyone always tries to phrase things differently but he is one of the very rare people who are confident enough (or religious enough) to state what he wants.
    "So, Prince,what are your plans for the rest of the night? How about a small pre-celebration? And anything that doesn't involve me, dancing,drinks and finding a room afterward doesn't count."
    She leans forward to whisper the last sentence into his ear, her heart rate picking up as she starts to imagine whats to come.

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    "Swim? Hell no." Dagge chuckles softly. "The biggest water I ever encountered was during a short lived stint as a Tunneler journeyman. Put me right off the stuff." He thinks for a moment.
    "I play a pretty mean hand of cards. And I sculpted some small pebbles to pass what little free time I have... I had. Guess I have nothing but free time now. I really don't kniw how to dance either... But how hard can it be? It's just fancy walking. We could learn together?"
    "Ah, cards, game of gamblers. I prefer chess. With strategy, predictions, tactics." She stands straight, stepping from the ledge. "Carving stone can lead to decorative work in metal, as my craft is blacksmithing. But truly, I feel I just wish to ask."

Tsu holds her hand out. "Would you like to stumble until we find a good rhythm of not stepping on toes and call it 'dancing'?"
    "A good speech should be like a woman's skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep people interested." -Winston Churchill

The very Prettiest Orc avatar done by the talented Letty Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    "Well," Tarsus says, making it clear he is not to be dissuaded, "I'll try not to unravel too much. Somebody wants me to read this. Even setting aside my radical faith, the man's got a point. The god of war, the god of death, the god of love—they don't change. They fill a role. An important one, but a role nonetheless. That doesn't strike you as a little automated? And the worst kept secret in this company," he adds in a whisper, "is that she already second-came. No, I need answers. This Company needs answers. I'm sure I'll find far more than what we're looking for, maybe even most of it is bollocks, but all I need is to know more than I know now, and I know this book will give me that."

"Enjoy the party, love. I'm sorry to let you down. Elsa, I will need your and Sarvine's help. Oparal, too. Join me at your earliest convenience. I want to copy every word."
    Elsa, for her part, did her best not to look *too* interested in the book, or in Synn's response however she *was* interested despite being obviously unhappy with Tarsus. Although not as elegant as Synn, Elsa was quite capable of looking both gorgeous, delightful, and thoroughly displeased with Tarsus. It did occur to her that Tarsus was now a man with two gorgeous women with him who were both making it clear they were peeved with him, however she deemed it sufficient for the time being.

"Tarsus, if the gods could change their natures, then they wouldn't *be* gods." Elsa breathed out of her noes with an pinched expression. She was still visibly upset by him and as much as she wanted to get a look at the book, she had the immediate concerns of the party. Frankly it all struck Elsa as rather self-centered.

"Fine." Elsa stated as Tarsus turned away. Looking to Synn Elsa relaxed her posture, "Has he always been like this?" she asked Synn as she refocused herself on her tasks at hand. The event with the Dark Mr. Browser and Tarsus was bothering her and she would need to put that on hold until after the party.

Blog Entries

Most noteworthy passages of Fisk's book read:
    ...had hoped for his assistance in this matter but he had a rather sudden change of heart. I'm sure my opponents on the council are behind this but it matters little. I have set up the experiment on a smaller scale. The search for a suitable splinter plane was boring work but not too hard. A pitiful place called Dankav will suit me just fine. It is largely devoid of humanoid inhabitants and only a handful of non-outsiders call it home; a perfect place to prove my theorem. The setting up of the barrier encapsulating...
    ...all preparation are finished. The experiment went perfectly. It summarize the gathered data here:
    - Dankav is a splinter plane roughly 1000 square miles across, spheroid in form.
    - Dankav's inhabitants consist for 98% of Outsiders affiliated with Anas'Kun. At the time of the experiment there were 28 of such Outsiders present.
    - An impervious barrier has been erected around the splinter realm to ensure no energy of any kind enters or leaves the plane.
    - When opposing Outsiders were introduced into Dankav the Outsiders of both sides reacted violently, as expected. The newly introduced Outsiders, Demons, were quickly killed.
    - Thanks to the barrier the destroyed Demon energy could not leave and coalesced again in an identical form as that which it had previously had. The same was true with the Angelic Outsiders.
    - Once the numbers and relative strength of Outsiders on both sides were brought in an equilibrium they still fought, to no apparent gain since neither side could ever hope to gain the upper hand.
    - Interestingly enough, the Demon Outsiders turned to the mortal inhabitants of the plane to overcome said equilibrium. These did in fact brought momentary gain to their side but didn't take long to be killed by the opposition, restoring said equilibrium.
    - Any introduced imbalance in the Outsiders' power did nothing to change their behavior. Were a mortal leader would research ways to escape, parlay, or surrender no side ever considered this a possibility. Not even when a third type of Outsider was introduced. All three sides never went anywhere except into a free for all type of engagement.
    - Every single time an Outsider was killed it re-materialized immediately in the plane. The place of materialization seeming random. Mortal combatants faced with this reality will always cease conflict after a given period of time. Their higher reasoning imparting them with the futility of such a conflict. The Outsiders did not. They went along just as they would always do.
    - The Dankav plane was left alone with the three factions at balanced power levels and thanks to time moving faster in the realm as in Mysthaven an interval of 1000 years was observed. No noticeable difference in the attitudes and practices of the Outsiders present was observed. There was one Outsider of the third type that had become stuck, trapped by a vengeful spirit of one of the plane's mortal inhabitants also incapable of leaving, but his absence from fighting was not of such weight as to noticeably weaken said faction.
    - Curiously, no Outsider seemed worse for wear mentally after a millennium of ceaseless conflict. Mortals subject to such extreme lengths of conflict would have fallen into unrecoverable insanity after about 300 days.
    From this experiment can be deduced following facts:
    - Outsiders numbers are numbered and constant. They do not multiply nor do they cease to exist. Their existence is like the number of quintessential building blocks (QBB) in the universe: constant.
    - Outsiders have no higher reasoning function. They behave as they must with no choice of their own. They have no real free will, merely something that resembles it upon cursory inspection. This makes them unable to make choices outside their pre-set purview and make them unable to contract any mental illness.
    - Outsiders of the same type are drawn to each other. They seem to move to each other with the same attraction as magnets do. The larger the Outsider the more Outsiders of the same type it will attract.
    ...damn them all. They are so content to worship pure automatons, like our early ancestors worshiped natural phenomenon such as volcanoes or the sun. Hell, what else is Anas'Kun but the personification of the sun. But they cling to their pitiful faiths instead realizing that it is us, we ourselves that give power to these beings, constructs! Of course it is much easier to believe that all evil comes from the darkest night and our personification of it in the shape of Typhon rather than realize and acknowledge in earnest that it is humanoids themselves that are the monsters in the dark! I can only wonder what a truly enlightened society might be capable of; that power and self knowledge harnessed in each and every one! The power of the gods at the fingertips of those that power it, humanoids themselves! It would be glorious! Every man and woman free to do anything he could imagine and every man and woman free from being overpowered by their fellows. True freedom! The mind reels from the possibilities! Those stupid clerical fools can't reconcile such truth with the lies of their lives so they skulk and whisper, poisoning the minds of the common folk and subjugate them with their fake faith. I will show them what comes...
    ...that damn Despot has beaten me to it! I had everything ready! favors called in and moneys secured and now the White Star has robbed me of my prize I cant believe I was so blind to overlook the meddling of that bastard should have known better i always overlook the small things now the money lenders are at the gates looking for return on thjeir invcestmernt and i have goyt anything to show them and for whgaty just so he can not upset the fragile universe like he has a monoploy on thayt i can hear the, insiode my head coming closer...
    ...This is my final entry. I haven't felt this clear headed in a long time. Courtesy of the Despot. He really is quite reasonable, once he gets what he wants. But I have serious reservations to what has happened. I stand by everything I have uncovered and extrapolated yet he has made a fatal mistake I fear. Like me he overlooked something, though he refuses to see it. I concluded that Outsiders, and gods being merely large Outsiders, don't have free will. They miss the key component for it. Something that I think might be that elusive thing we call a soul. However, not having a thing doesn't mean one doesn't have something else in its place. This something, this unsoul let's call it, is very real. I am convinced of it. It's just the way the universe works. Repceing this unsoul with a soul may have dire concequences I fear. This is a piece of a highly evolved piece of automata and once it is ejected from its seat I seriously doubt it will just dissipate. Such things will find a home, a hole to fit in. Though the word would not apply in this case for all intents and purposes this would give rise to some extremely insane... Stuff. My eloquence fails me. Hearing the bells announcing your execution will do that. Farewell, and may providence smile upon your soul dear reader. Farewell.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Page 90 of 90 FirstFirst ... 4080888990