Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Loot

Default Loot

As a special service, just for you, I will maintain a list of the loot you find and put in "the common pot". I will only list the valuable items. Whenever you take something and put it on your character sheets, make a note of it in this thread, and I will strike it off the list. Also, feel free to post any OOC loot dividing discussions here. To make things easy, I will just assume that the loot on this list just follows you around - it is, however, not available to you until you have removed it from the common pot and put it on your sheets. How you divide the spoils are entirely up to you.

Common pot:

I've started to use a google-sheet to track loot to make it easier (will probably do the same for XP at some point). Let me know if you can't read it for some reason:

Loot
    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 05-12-2015 at 10:25 AM.

Default Identifying loot

Masterwork items:
    All magical items tend to be of masterwork quality, and I will usually rule that you can recognize masterwork quality when you see it. So if I inform you that an item is masterwork quality, it may be magical, but is not necessarily so.

Identifying magical items:
    The standard way of identifying a magical item is by casting a detect magic or an identify spell and use spellcraft. The identify spell gives a +10 bonus to the spellcraft check. There is a second, less well known, way of identifying potions. By sampling from the potion, a Perception check DC 15 + spell level will reveal the potions properties. I will rule that such a check can only be attempted once per potion - taking multiple samples from the potions will dilute its properties.

As a house rule, I will allow a third way of identifying potions. Most potions are marked by symbolic runes (otherwise, how can brewers and users distinguish between different potions?). I will allow a knowledge (Arcana) check vs. DC 15 + spell level to identify the symbols attached to arcane potions and a knowledge (Religion) check vs. DC 15 + spell level to identify divine potions. Once you have identified a specific symbol, you can recognize the same rune on other potions (I will make a note of identified runes). Of course, this method is not absolutely fool proof - who knows? a sinister person may have filled a potion marked by a cure light wounds rune with poison - just for fun...?

House rule:
    To streamline identification I will assume that most magical items are identified automatically whenever you are spending the night "back at base", at the nearest town, etc. where you have some time to study the magical items thoroughly. If you want to identify a magical item "in the field", the normal rules apply. Also, there may be a few special or particularly powerful items that cannot be identified automatically - they may still be identified using the normal rules.
    Last edited by Abberdaggus; 09-18-2016 at 09:13 PM.

(Post made by mdh, in a different game, but relevant for this game also:

The desired treasure allocation issue is one that varies by player and group and game. I see the following options:

1. Buy out option: Deemed the most fair by some people and unrealistic by others, this option has the PC's "buy from the party at retail cost the item and the resulting gold gets distributed to the party (including the PC who bought).

2. Split gold equally and items on first ask, first get: Some players don't like to "buy" and in some cases cannot buy things such as in some Adv. Paths when the Paladin should have the relic weapon. Can lead to unbalanced parties.

3. Split gold equally and items on draft pick system: Similar to above but order is established and when someone picks, they drop to bottom of order.

4. Split gold equally and assign items on usefulness: Similar to above but items distributed by group to whom can use the best.

5. Split gold and items on rough equivalency basis: Total values and divide.

One other item to consider is whether to create a fund such as an extra "share" on gp distribution for healing, food and lodging, etc. Helps get rid of paperwork and having to argue over who should pay to get the skill monkey or spellcaster a raise dead spell after the chapter boss battle.

Let me know the team's thoughts.

Personally I like option 4 the best. But this is only on big Items/Loot. If the Rouge steals form someone, or someone else takes a potion without the others seeing it, that is fair game.

Blog Entries

Option 4 is for the greater good. WHat's a sorcerer going to do with a kick ass magical axe when Nagri could use it to devastating effect thereby ensuring party survival?
    And since we're all mostly good I guess there aren't to many greed-mongers about...
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Agreed. Four works.

I'd like to make a small comment with 4;
    When you have several characters that have a similar need of items (Endarulf and Cyrill are for example both charismatic spontaneous casters), you run the risk that those characters eventually get far under their share, so it might be usefull to track the total gold every character has in items and cash, so that if any character starts to run behind too far some items can be liquidated, so that that character can get up to speed again.

Something you could do is to spread items as usefull (as 4), and split the money first in 2, divinding one half amongst the party, and keep the other half for partystuff
    (lodging, wands of Cure Light Wounds, possible Ressuractions/Raises Dead or other expensive curative stuff, rare scrolls, lodging) and to fill up for those who fal behind too much?

(So my proposal would by 4, but divide only half the gold equally, keeping the rest in a mutual pool to use as needed/fair.)

I like option 4, but getting too 'mechanical' doesn't seem brilliant.

How about we just work together naturally to divvy up...? equal split of gold...Items go to those who can use them best. Items which go unclaimed can be sold off when we hit a town, with the gold to be split equally. If two people want something, just as in real life, they'll need to discuss it and work something out with the group.

Something like that?

9. Default

I think a combination of number with Adanedhal's tweaks and Dray's tweaks work best. If two characters, like Endarulf and Cyrill, need something let them discuss it out or simply roll a die for it (I prefer the latter). It the group cannot use an item or don't want an item it is sold for gold which is then divided between party members and the party pile.

You all are overthinking this. We're adults. We're not going to argue over a damned +1 sword

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast