Page 3 of 183 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1: Burnt offerings

Joyya's good - well, relatively speaking - mood lasted until he stumped by a fella playing a recorder. Trying to play a recorder, rather, and failing quite spectacularly.

"Good gods, boy, you ever seen one of those blasted things before? You sound like a babby wailin' for mama," the dwarf interjects to Paulo (whose name, of course, Joyya doesn't know). "I hope yer singin' voice beats your playin' or you'll end up one broke bard."

Default Day 1, morning - noon

She-wolf
    Everybody attending the Festival hears the sudden roaring outburst of excited applause originating from the area around The Gauntlet, as the green-skinned female half-orc emerges victorious from her attempt at beating the obstacle range. The crowd is absolutely ecstatic - no doubt, the she-wolf has already found a good number of fans and admirers in the town. Das ((the town blacksmith - not our esteemed spectator)) looks sour of seeing his pride beaten so soon, but Savah, Sandpoints armorer, shakes your hand vigorously and announces loudly that she will extend you a 5% discount on your next purchase in her shop - likely hoping that you will choose to don her armor and show it off for some cheap advertising. With a friendly smile, Vorvashali hands you your prize - a nice brass bracelet. While you find little use for the bracelet yourself, you quickly find a young man eager to impress his loved one, and who is willing to take it off your hands for 5 silver.

Endarulf
    The old crone cackles delightfully (something tells you that the somewhat artificial cackle is put on mostly for show), as she pockets the money with a surprisingly nimble gesture and produces a deck of cards from beneath her table. She starts laying them face up on the table, and as the strange symbols on the cards reveal themselves, she mutters a few "ooohhh"'s and "aahahhh"'s. Finally, she looks up at you with another cackle and says, "That is veeery interesting, hhhmmm? I see greatness in your future, yes I do, hhhmmm? But also great peril, hhhmmm? Be true to your friends, and you shall prevail, hhhmmm?" With a final cackle, she gathers up the cards again and puts the deck away, obviously finished with her service. Seeing the poorly hidden expression of disappointment on your face over the somewhat meager reading, she gets a twinkle in her eyes as she adds, "Aaahhh - but you get what you pay for, hhhmmm?"

Cyrill
    The old man eyes the gold on the table but doesn't touch it. Then he looks up at you above his spectacles with a smile, "Splendid! - have a seat." He gestures at a chair on the opposite side of the table. "Now pay attention, and answer me this:"

Riddle #1
    "On my way to St. Ives I saw a man with 7 wives. Each wife had 7 sacks. Each sack had 7 cats. Each cat had 7 kittens. Kitten, cats, sacks, and wives. How many were going to St. Ives?"

Riddle #2
    "A word I know, Six letters it contains, Subtract just one, And twelve is what remains. What word do I know?"

Riddle #3
    "The man who invented it doesn't want it. The man who bought it doesn't need it. The man who needs it doesn't know it. What is it?"

Everybody
    The Festival is in full swing and most of the participants appear to be enjoying themselves immensely (with few exceptions - some reports of pick-pocketing and rowdy behavior has started to flow in, but not much more than anticipated). As morning turns into early noon, tables and benches are being carried into the town square, and rumors start flying that lunch will be provided free by the taverns of Sandpoint. Shortly before noon, those at the town square proper witnesses Father Zantus wheel a large covered wagon into the square. Zantus rises onto the stage and begins to speak. His voice doesn't reach far over the ruckus of the festival, but his tale gathers a fair sized crowd around him. Those standing close hear him recount the parable of how Desna (Goddess of dreams, luck, stars and travelers) first fell to earth and was nursed back to health by a blind child, whom she transformed into an immortal butterfly as a reward for her aid. As he finishes his tale, two acolytes pull aside the wagon cover releasing a thousand Children of Desna - a furious storm of swallowtail butterflies that swarm into the air in a spiraling riot of color to the great here from the crowd - not least the children, who chase them around in futile attempts to catch them. Then lunch is served.

Blog Entries

Nagri, drink in hand, stands with the crowd listening to the father tell his tale. She didn't share his faith but enjoyed a good tale telling and so she listened gladly. When the butterflies are revealed and released she ooohs and aaahs with everyone else; laughing as she watches the kids at their game. It doesn't last long however because as soon as her nose picks up the smell of roast meat and fresh bread she dashes to the nearest table with a characteristic "Food!" Sitting straight and to attention she exhibits much of the behavior of her the animal she took her name from.
    Victory at a difficult task, gold as reward, mead in hand and free food together with fair weather and good cheer... Today was a GREAT day. So much so that she can't contain her joy at these simple things and shouts loudly as her plate of free food is placed in front of her: "TODAY IS A GREAT DAY!" Not caring one way or the other what reaction this outburst provokes she digs into the food, relishing its divine taste even more because it's free.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Paulo stops playing for a moment and looks down at the one-legged dwarf. He puts on his warmest smile, palms spread out to the side as if saying ‘what can one do?’, and says, “Ah, so you liked my song, master dwarf?” with a wink. As he speaks, he pulls the mouthpiece off the recorder and gives it a good shake…gods know it probably needs a cleaning and it’s likely been in his pack a bit too long. “It’s been a long journey, and perhaps my throat’s a bit dry to have attempted such a tricky song as that first up.”

He bends down to pick up his scarf and deftly drapes it about his neck, before putting his recorder back together and giving it a quick blow. “Ah…that sounds better, no?” he says with a chuckle and claps a hand on the dwarf’s shoulder. “I’m Paulo. And you?” and without waiting for a reply, “Buy me a drink in honour of our fine swallowtail and I’ll play any song you like,” a huge grin on his face.

"I'm Joyya," the dwarf replied, shaking the bard's hand firmly and not unkindly. "As to buying drinks, what need, lad? Water's free and all around. Enjoy all you want. Any drink that costs a copper does more harm than good. But come! Food is served and it ain't every day someone gives you a free lunch."
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 01-21-2015 at 10:50 PM.

6. Default

Endarulf was quite disgruntled with the reading he received. He was expecting a bit more, but like the madame said, you get what you pay for. Endarulf exited the tent just in time to witness the Father gathering a crowd. Being curious as to what the Father had to say Endarulf made his way to the covered wagon and stage. The tale of Desna fascinated Endarulf. A goddess that fell to the earth sounds very similar to the Mysterious One that his family pays respect to. The swarm of butterflies was a beauty to behold given that the day was starting to become too warm and uncomfortable for Endarulf.

He made his way to the refreshments to grab a drink of what ever he could get to quench his thirst. He was put-off by the half-orc inhaling food like an animal, but something attracted him to the half-orc. He was always keen to trust his instincts when it came to people. Being the semi-social person that he is, he kindly introduced himself with a quick joke. Hopefully she has a sense of humor, he thought."I didn't know one could work up quite an appetite at a festival!" He jokingly jabbed at the stranger, "My name is Endarulf, it is a pleasure to meet someone of orcish descent. I don't come across too many in my journeys."

Paulo gives a hearty laugh at the dwarf’s response to a drink, sensing he’s not jesting in his distaste for alcohol, but finding it humorous just the same. “Come, then, friend Joyya…it’s clear there’s some excitement in the square, and a free meal…even better!” he says, quite happy to let the dwarf think of him as a bard. It’s better than many of the other things he’s been thought to be over the years.

He makes his way to the square, just in time to see the children chasing the last of the colourful butterflies around the square. Finding a couple empty seats, he sits down…cocking his head as if to offer the dwarf a seat across from him at the table. Paulo gladly accepts the offered plate placed before him and dives into the hot meal.

Blog Entries

The She-Wolf halts eating, her hand holding a drumstick halfway through her mouth, as the stranger introduced himself.
    "Well you can if you put in the effort to beat the gauntlet over there!" she answers grinning widely. "That's good you know, not meeting many orcs. You live longer that way!" At the last sentence she bursts out laughing. "Have a seat manling. I'll..." she starts after motioning with the drumstick to the seat opposite from her but stops as a waitress walks by. "Oi lass! This thin human is hungry. Bring us another plate will ya sweet cheeks!" she declares. As the waitress turns to leave the She-Wolf gives her a loud slap on her fanny. "Endarulf, you can call me She-Wolf. Nice to meet you."
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Joyya, not sure 'friend' was the right moniker for how he felt towards Paulo, didn't vocally disagree. He just stumped along behind - thunk-clang, thunk-clang - and when he reached the feast, he ate heartily, nodding and smiling at the locals of Sandpoint that he'd known (and healed) over the years.

Thinking for a moment before answering, he starts to vocalise his thoughts: 'That's quite the sum that that man had with him, and most riddles aren't that mathintensive, so...
    Of course, I passed the man so he went in the opposite direction, away from my destination. So the answer is 0, since I'm neither a wife nor a cat.'
    Up to the next one, the bard clearly has more troubles. the 5 letter word was clearly dozen, but all he could think of was dozens. Might as well say it, and hesitantly, he said the word 'Dozens?'.
    The last one was easier again, and he had heard it time after time: 'Coffin'.

At the meal he tried to look for company that seemed out of place, people that don't seem to fit together. There was a dwarf and a half-orc at the festival that he noticed, so wagering a guess, he decided to introduce himself to the dwarf and the man next to him, since he seemed familiar with quite some people.
    'Good evening master dwarf and friend, I'm Cyrill of Magnimar and new around these parts, searching for those who are more aware of these lands.
    Last edited by Adanedhel; 01-22-2015 at 08:59 AM.

Page 3 of 183 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast