Page 3 of 223 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: OOC thread

The game is afoot!

Feel free to start posting, interacting, roleplaying, and/or partake in any of the festivals activities, while putting the final touches on the character sheets.

Quote Originally Posted by Adanedhel View Post
    Struggling a bit with finding usefull feats (since dazzling display is overkill with dirge of doom and haunting refrain), so a couple of questions:
    the Eldritch Heritage: Arcane bloodline feat chain would help me flesh out my backstory a bit, but comes with a couple of catches:
    1 prerequisites: the prerequisite is Skill Focus [class skill offered by bloodline]
    The Arcane bloodline allows Knowledge Any as additional class skill, but is usually interpreted (and imho pretty reasonably) as needing to be seen as Skill Focus Knowledge Arcane.
    Is that something you as DM agree with? It would mesh well with Cyrills function in the party as knowledge monkey/battlefield control.

Secondly, the improved eldritch heritage [Arcane] feat would as written allow me to: 'At 9th level, you can add any one spell from the sorcerer/wizard spell list to your list of spells known. This spell must be of a level that you are capable of casting. You can also add one additional spell at 13th level and 17th level.' (with 2 levels delay)
    is this something you consider a problem?
    I'd prefer to talk this out now, because whilst I absolutely don't mind a veto on this one, I would prefer that veto to happen before I pick up the prerequisites to that feat.
    I have to be honest with you, it's not something I have put a lot of thought into - evaluating the power balance of a game as complex as this, especially at higher levels, is not an easy task, so I have no idea whether this is OP or not. But, I am going to take a leap of faith and trust that Paizo has done a decent job of balancing the game. I don't want to veto official rules unless I have a compelling reason to do so - and I don't in this case. So, go ahead - I promise I wont veto the feat when the time comes to pick it (save the post and shove it in my face if I try to change my mind )

It's more, if it comes up and you start to dislike it, please do allow me to also swap my prerequisite feats

Hey all...sent this to Abber via PM when it probably should have been here. Everyone may already be across this stuff, but I'm reposting here just in case it's helpful for anyone else. I'll do this stuff in OOC in future.
    Cheers
    ==================
    Hi Abber,
    Just preparing my first post and a bit of roleplaying.
    If I'm going to attempt some thieving amidst the crowds, do I just describe an NPC target and roll sleight of hand check? You'd then take over the NPCs actions, etc?
    That's how I'd imagine it working anyway. Also, if you get caught, is it possible to roll Acrobatics or similar to attempt an escape?
    Let me know the best approach when you have a moment. I'm fairly new to this, and want to take full advantage of my rogue's skills.
    I'll wait to post until I hear from you.
    Cheers,
    Dray
    ==================
    Hi Dray
    Yeah - you hit the European 'downtime' - hence the lack of response.
    Yes, whenever you want to do something, just go ahead and roll what you think is the appropriate skill check - don't wait for me to ask for the check. That would only serve to slow down the game.
    Often it is pretty obvious what the appropriate skill check is - in this case, picking pockets is handled by the Sleight of Hand check - other actions could require perception checks, knowledge checks, or whatever. If your check is relevant I will use it, if not I will just ignore it.
    If your target is alerted by your attempt, we are in principle entering a combat phase, in which your target might try to grapple or trip you or he may simply just shout and try to alert any bystanders and the city watch to your mischief. Whether you can get away or hide in the crowd before being caught will in part depend on your respective initiative rolls - who gets to react first?
    I can't give you the exact odds, but here are some of the factors that would determine success:
    - The target is likely distracted by the speeches or other festival activities - this will give him a penalty to his opposed perception check
    - The festival square is very crowded, so if you get to react first when discovered, chances are good that you may be able to blend into the crowd unnoticed before the target gets to react - this may however put bystanders on edge making future attempts more risky
    - You do spot several city guardsmen in and around the town square, so if you are noticed and caught you may have to spend the rest of the festival in a jail cell.

Don't see any of this as an attempt to either persuade or dissuade you to do anything - how you play your character is entirely up to you (I will only urge you to be careful about stealing from the other party members - make sure that such mischief doesn't spoil the 'mood')
    Another thing: You are always welcome to PM questions/messages of a private nature - but some of these question could easily be posted in the OOC thread - that way, the others could benefit from the answers as well.

Abber

It would be funny if he get's caught, since I have no idea how we're going to get the party together then

Blog Entries

Simple. Common enemy assaults the town. Char's are only one fit to defend it (together with guards and sherrif). Enemy even assaults prison. After attack is defeated or over town honors defenders and ask them to stop the enemy or get back what enemy stole. Party is formed.

No, I haven't read or played RotR campaign already.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Or, ya know, the rogue doesn't try to rob people, doesn't get caught and doesn't get thrown in prison.

Just a reminder that GMs aren't TV writers. Good GMs don't fix character choices and errors; they just let the PC do what he/she indicated and then create logical, reasonable results for said actions.

For example, a rogue that robs random people at a festival is going to have a hard time convincing a party cleric to heal him/her if things get dicey (pun surely intended). Just sayin'

Hey, a nomadic Varisian's gotta do what a nomadic Varisian's gotta do. Plus, if I do it properly, said cleric won't even know it's occurred.

I agree, though, it's not the DM's job to rail road us into doing or not doing something. Abber made that clear.

I know it's a risk, but felt like what Paulo would be doing in this situation (especially with hardly a copper to his name... Had a horrible starting gold roll).

8. Default

I missed a lot lol. My apologies guys. Weekdays limit my posting time.

Phew - was a bit caught up in fleshing out the festival activities - I'll attend to your posts shortly.

Blog Entries

Nailed it!
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Page 3 of 223 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast