Page 222 of 227 FirstFirst ... 122172212220221222223224 ... LastLast
Results 2,211 to 2,220 of 2264

Thread: OOC thread

1. Default

I can see both arguments. Defer to the team but remember playing a Curse of the Crimson Throne campaign where the GM modded the bad guys and we felt we were always behind the eight ball. I feel like many of the rangers were to die on this raid and are not up to the fights. If not for the team, then they would have been long dead. As for Cyrill, he is very helpful as a buffer to the party. We still have to take out ironjaw and snake girl and Amadeus is scraping the bott9m of the spell barrel.

Blog Entries

That's an understatement.
    I can put together a 1st lvl ranger that is more competent than Shalelu. Boy does she suck ass.
    At least her asshole dad has some skill with a bow.
    Of course the ranger chars ineptitude helped us as well seeing Kaven was a traitor.
    It's no wonder that fortress was taken so easily. All the npcs there couldn't do anything.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

HEY! I'M SITTING RIGHT HERE!!!

No, seriously - the rangers are working as designed (by Paizo and yours truly). They are not part of your team, they are part of the story. It is true that they have been joining your group for a short while - I suppose it was meant as a backup (and, lets face it, cannonfodder) to make taking the Fort with the constant flow of adds slightly more manageble. They are not optimised like you (and may not even be the same level as your) - but they are not supposed to be. Paizo tend not to min-max when designing their NPCs (whether friends or foes), and they tend to come with their own quirks and flaws - to be honest, I like that. I am very conscious that NPCs do not outshine the players (admittedly no risk of that here) - in my experience, there is nothing more demotivating to a player than strong NPCs stomping all the bad guys, while PCs stand on the sideline. So - in this particular area, things are as they are supposed to be (in my opinion).

Generally, though, game balance is not easy, which is why I wanted to bring it up. For what its worth, I agree that Cyrills character has had a significant impact (aside from the +3 buff, I recall at least two bosses put out of commission by a well placed blindness...), so going on without him will probably increase the challenge noticably (especially in boss fights). Question is, will that be fun to try or most likely more frustrating? Still not sure exactly what the consensus is here, but one approach forward could simply be to keep going with the four of you for the time being, and if the headwinds get so strong that it takes the fun out of it, we can go fish for another Cyrill.

Finally, just realized that I had forgotten that the ogre crone still has one image intact. I will just assume that the attacks resolved so far happened to target the right copy, and in my next update, I will roll for Katharinas latest attack. Will update at some point over the weekend....

Blog Entries

Yeah... Because that ogre barbarian boss wasn't optimized at all.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Well, I did say "...tend not to..." as in "most of the time", didn't I?

Still, I'm certain that you could have made him much deadlier, if you were asked to design him from the bottom. Just to take an example, they gave him some pretty useless rage powers, like scent and renewed vigor. And they left him with an AC of 17, making him fairly easy to hit. But yes, you are right, he is definitely not the worst one, I've seen. They also equipped him with a human bane weapon, which allowed him to generate significant burst damage against humans (sorry, Kathy....).

I'll be honest: I'm not going to sit here and say any of this should have gone differently. Abber - and, by extension, all of us really - should be in the goddamn PbP hall of fame for this game. The time we've all been together, the distance in the AP we've come...this sort of shit just doesn't happen often in this medium. All I want is to keep going and finish it with you all, no matter how many more years it takes. I'm not worried about game balance when, literally, we may well have another half decade to go before seeing how this story ends.

Ha, you bet, Ra! Perhaps it hasn't been super hard, but it's had its challenging moments, and I really enjoy the flavor that Abber puts into DMing.

I'm happy to press on with our current crew and see how we go.

Speaking of pressing on...Abber for round 8, I assume Paulo has to roll another Will save, and if failed, roll for the effect of the Confusion spell?

Good points, all of you. I didn't mean to raise a debate - just wanted to make sure people felt suitably challenged going forward. If you ever feel it's time to go recruiting, just let me know and we'll go fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dray Truoc View Post
    Speaking of pressing on...Abber for round 8, I assume Paulo has to roll another Will save, and if failed, roll for the effect of the Confusion spell?
    Actually, you only make a will save once in the beginning, but you roll for a new confused state each round.

I just flipped through the rest of this chapter again, and I may partially retract my earlier observation that Paizo's bosses tend to be (intentionally) flawed in some way. Perhaps that sensation reflected some of baddies from earlier chapters. It's not that the enemies are min-maxed in the sense that they take advantage of every kink in the rules, but going forward you should probably expect that some of the enemies carry a serious punch - the ogre chieftain is not unique in that sense. Now, you are good players and you may yet take down the enemies with little effort, but don't be surprised if you find yourselves head to head with a bad guy, who can take half your hp in a single whack. I just wanted to mention that so you are at least mentally prepared .

Will update tonight.

I'm off to NY to meet my new baby niece this weekend, so no posts from me between Friday afternoon through Sunday night, I'd say. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!