Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gundam Project

Blog Entries

I think Loki hit the nail on the head the idea is that for example that

MS-18E is comprised of components X,Y, And Z

And the

MS-14A is comprised of Components A, B, and C

That would be the stock option, but you could make a custom Mobile Suit with components, X, B, Z or A, Y, Z and so on.

This would also allow the system to represent you upgrading the Suit as well as you start out with X, Y, Z but upgrade/modify to X, Y, C.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by obtusehobbit; 09-03-2009 at 06:15 PM.

2. Default

somewhat, that would mean XYZ are just random mobile parts so i can just choose whichever parts would be deemable for the suit and or fit the mobile suits spec range. If i am wrong just throw a really good example at me, I am having an off day today so not on all cylinders.

Here's how I'm planning on having it work:

A pilots Piloting stat will be similar to a Tech Level in the sense that you must meet a MS part's Pilot requirement before you can use it. Secondly, "Stock" refers to a MS's main torso area where the Cockpit is located. This is the only real part of the MS that you cannot customize. Beyond that, most MS parts will be interchangeable, meaning as long as you meet the requirements, you can put said part on your MS. Think of this as a giant, violent Mr. Potato Head.

Example:

I'm Piloting a basic Zaku II, but I want to customize the shoulder pieces. I remove the basic Zaku II shoulder parts and replace them with the high mobility shoulder-mounted thrusters of a Kaempfer. Now instead of having an armor boost from the Zaku shoulder shield, I have faster and more versatile Zaku II.

Example II:

I'm Piloting a basic Zaku II, but I have just obtained a pair of Dom Legs. Zaku legs are relatively basic, but their perk is that they are light-weight. Dom legs are made for high mobility gliding, but are heavier. The trade off here is that my suit becomes heavier, which normally makes it slower, but with the added thrust from the Dom's legs, it becomes faster and can now hold heavier armaments.

Most things will work in a basic trade-off system. Most parts will have obvious benefits whereas others may have more intricate ones that may give you a run for your money when you try to decide between the two.

Also as a secondary note, we're going to have a crafting system, which may allow for pilots themselves to create perfectly customized, never-seen before mobile suits, parts, and weapons for their suits. This part is rather in depth, though, so we'll probably save it for much later.
    Last edited by LokiLetheren; 09-03-2009 at 06:43 PM.

4. Default

ok well that is understandable. However... It does not exclude the fact that the armor for the Kampfer is Titanium Ceramic composite thus making it a good MS but getting rid of the composite armor is the trouble, then again though it seems to me that the only thing i really need to update is the pilot systems for it as well leg components, arms, and chest rotation with head rotation components to which make to be a versatile heavy assault mobile suit as well making it to the modern age type of suits. So loggically it can acually take on say like Wing gundam even though being its older type it now has the modifications to take on such a mobile suit or Raiser from 00 making the Kampfer a unit to be reconded with, but that would mean it would have to find system parts able to fit a zeonic mobile suit. OK well here i will tell you my MS is going to be a Kampfer, an as well a little add to your game, let everyone pick up to two mobile suits to start with so that they are not stuck to one type and let them explore another type of mobile suit.

While it doesn't seem logical that a Zaku could take on a Gundam, it is fully possible because most things are derived directly from the Pilot himself. Mobile Suits do not gain levels, and part stats do not increase much either, and thus it is up to the Pilot. All that the MS itself will do is enhance the pilot's rolls and, of course, help determine a significant amount of combat.

Thus, if a highly skill pilot in a Zaku takes on a green horn pilot in Wing Zero, then the Zaku pilot will have the edge. However, you also have to determine factors. A stock Wing Zero will come with the ZERO system, which greatly enhances pilot ability, but unless they are highly skilled and strong willed, the ZERO system can, indeed, shatter their mind because it in itself is too much for any normal human being to handle. You also have to factor in suit restrictions too. As I said before, the Torso is one of the deciding factors of a suit and it will aid in determining how high of a tech level it can handle. A basic unmodified Zaku suit, for instance, will not be able to handle even a Psicommu System (funnels), let along a ZERO system of it's own. And again, your Pilot Level will determine tech.

I'm currently running through my mind which of the two variations of Tech Levels I want to do.
    1.) Each piece has it's own level of Tech, similar to a video game where a Sword requires that the character have X strength to use.
    2.) Only the Suit itself has a tech level, but each part adds in a +X to that tech level. If you don't have a high enough Piloting to meet the tech level, you can't pilot the suit or have to find a lower-tech piece to replace it with until you can.

My opinion favors #2. What do you think?

To answer that last part, I haven't decided how I'm going to distribute suits at the beginning yet, but giving players several suits to choose from is one of the many choices. The others include just giving them money and letting them buy pieces from there so that they start right out with a custom suit OR giving them up to 3 suits and letting them pick pieces from which suit they want to make their final suit.
    Last edited by LokiLetheren; 09-03-2009 at 07:07 PM.

6. Default

OK sounds good, Where do i sign up. lol

Well like I said in my original post, this is a side project I hope to have completed sometime in the near future. Right now I'm involved in four other games, one of which is probably as big (if not a little bigger) than this one. I'm fairly sure I'm going to be running it, though, but I want to have the project itself finished first. After that, I'll probably run it after some of the games I'm currently in end. Till then, we'll keep you posted on news and updates here. When things are ready to go and I have enough time to devote to it, I'll send messages to everyone whom is interested in playing and request and forum. Keep an eye out till then and your comments on the system are always welcome

Blog Entries

Personally I like concept 2 based on where you are heading with the system. It is similar to what I was trying to say, but apparently wasn't explaining it right. The other thing to consider in their is the power supply of the Main Chassis.

The chassis is the key component of the suit, and while I can take it and replace part to make the suit better I am still limited by the Chassis it will restrict in some way the things I can do to the suit. To represent this I suggest giving each Chassis a power output (possible with the option to upgrade), and then assign each component a power usage cost. Your chassis can only support component up to the power output.

This prevents me taking a low end chassis and just loading it down with a ton of components.

9. Default

Thank you and as of which where do i go to join rps? I have no idea how to go into one and in fact register to be in one, i tried the LFR rp but i need to know how to do it, cause i would not mind joining an rp.

I'd love to play in this when you get it finished up. Namely as a modifed AGX-04 eventually. Gods that suit was smexy.
    Thought of the Week: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    =I= ONLY A FOOL CLAIMS TO KNOW EVERYTHING BUT FEAR NOTHING =I=

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast