Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: Thursday Night Group - OOC

Well, we jumped into the thick of it!

Some questions, for Gomer or otherwise:
    1) What happens if something impacts a Wall of Force which was raised to interrupt its movement?
    2) Could a wall of force be "readied to get in the way, just before he gets here"? The spell will fail if there is a creature in the midst of where it is cast, but I was thinking of casting directly in front of said creature.
    3) Can Wall of Force go any direction, so long as it is continuous, and hang in the air? Can you join it to itself in a large circle? Could you stack them vertically, to have a wall 10ft wide but 100ft high? Could it be a pattern 30ft wide and tall? The SRD says it has to be in the "vertical plane" only.
    4) What sort of cover would a Wall of force 10ft tall provide to an Enlarged Duran if he was standing next to it? What if it was 20ft tall?
    5) We know the queen has some sort of dragon mind controlling item. Anyone remember what this was? I felt like it was a circlet or something, but will be checking my notes. This could be a good avenue to gaining better control of the situation we are in.
    6) How are concentration checks during spellcasting working here? Yngwie shot the queen 3 times, and she then made 3 checks. I was expecting a single check for the WHOLE damage, since Yngwie's entire attack was the "readied" action. Maybe she had a quickened spell or two up her sleeve? Gomer's description afterward implied she only had one spell to cast.
    7)We will also need clarification on readying spells to interrupt other spells but having the readied person being interrupted by damage, as Groove tried to do with Sonya. The Counterspell section, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverv...tingSpells.htm, is the only thing I can find relevant to this, and goes in Groove's favor by my reading. A spell for countering does not get CAST until the action which provokes it takes place. The fire damage took place before the spell was cast, so no concentration check should be required.

This last one is rather hairy, since it cost Sonya that spell which might have otherwise really hurt the queen, and it was a very spur of the moment ruling.

I still feel bad for rushing us into that mess, but I know several of us were spoiling for the fight. We could have scryed, done some Heroics potions, summoned buddies...
    Big, technical battles seem to require a LOT of prep work/prebuffing, perhaps too much.
    Is there a way we can speed that up if we survive, since it IS time consuming?
    One problem with a large party is Hrothgar basically has to blow ALL of his buffs on a single battle like this, and he can't even get everyone to the same level. Fly, Displacement and Haste are all of Lvl 3, and he only gets 6 of those a day. I was trying to save up for better items, but I feel like he needs a whole bag of lvl 3 scrolls or wands for situations like this. Also why he didn't buy more spellbook spells. Second tier buffs are lvl 4 or 5.
    Lvl 1 and 2 spell slots aren't getting used effectively by him right now, so suggestions would be welcome. "Create Magic Tattoo" is one he has but has not utilized, most magic items/buffs don't stack with it.
    The dragon egg discussion got me somewhat impatient I think. I'm actually suffering some anxiety from all that :/
    Last edited by Wolfman_th82; 05-22-2015 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Had #4 twice, Added #6 & 7

Definitely some stress built up from that entire thing. But uh, I'll be 30 minutes late to the session this Thursday. I'm sure that the group won't get me killed in that meantime.

im sure that we can find something for you to whack with your axe and otherwise shrug of hits by Duran. As for the buff spells i can cover a lot of buffs with Anoron but it does take away from healing that he might need later. I may look into having hith pick up some buffs of some sort since he cast divine as well but i will have to check.

edit- hith cant buff, seems druids being loners wandering the wild only need to buff animals and themselves.
    Last edited by kody1259; 05-23-2015 at 07:04 AM.
    Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet

For Wolf.

Wall of Force can float, but must be flat.

A Wall of Force can be placed if held as a readied action in front of a moving creature, but if the moving creature has sufficient movement, it can simply move around/over it. A wall of Force will never be quick enough to force a charging/flying creature to smash into it.

A 10' wall will give superior cover to a large creature. A 20' wall will give total cover.

All other questions and rulings will remain the same for the duration of this battle to avoid changing rulings mid combat. However, A large spell system rewrite is coming up for next campaign and many of these issues will be addressed in it.

The spell casting system rewrite is up in the Rules Changes thread. If you think you can all stomach Gomer long enough to get through another campaign, then you may want to look them it over...especially the clerics, druids, and mages.

Game Night...and it's a big one.

Like I said, I'll unfortunately be about 30 minutes late to this one. Please start without me, and hopefully I won't miss the big finale of slaying either the Queen or her pet.

EDIT: Turns out I'm a liar. They told me to stay until 10 tonight, so I'll probably be an hour and 15 minutes late. At least they gave me next Thursday off
    Last edited by Mattoxz; 05-28-2015 at 11:14 PM.

So um...Will we be having a game this Thursday? I'm hoping that we do, but if we don't I'd like to know ahead of time, if'n a decision has been made.

I've heard naught. But I'm still lurking around.

I'm always lurking around......also I get updates on my phone so I actusly can't miss a post.
    Sweet water and light laughter till next we meet

Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758