Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 218

Thread: [IC] Chapter 1: The Brink of War

  1. #21

    Default

    "Well said, Gnool." Viktoria smiles. "And glad am I to see such bounty. I will see the camp set to rights while the meat cooks." And so she does, setting up the camp in proper military fashion, or as close to it as she can get.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,347
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    ((That sounds like a consensus to me.))

    And so the three of you make your way to the copse of trees as the last of the light wanes. You gather some stones to make a firepit and create a fair sized campfire, over which you roast the Antelope and the Larks (after skinning/De-feathering them of course). You manage to find some ripe wild Turnips and some wild herbs as well that you recognize and use to season the meats, creating for yourselves a fairly nice meal, and plenty of leftovers. You will definitely want to eat these first though, as they are not cured as your trail rations are, and will spoil much faster. But even still, the three of you should have plenty of food for the next 3 days or so.

    With that done, night settles in and you begin your routine as usual, Gnool taking the first shift and the other two unfurling their bedrolls near the fire and lying their heads down to rest.

    The night passes uneventfully, the watches passing seamlessly, and the sun rises on another beautiful day. Starting a fire, you heat up some of the leftovers from the night before and break your nightly fast on leftover Antelope and some Blackberries that Gnool finds in the underbrush while out relieving himself.

    You relax for a good portion of the morning, saddling the horses about two hours before noon and starting your ride. About an hour away from the place, the sun is directly over head, and you get a good look at it off in the distance. It's definitely the shipyard you were looking for, and is fair sized place. A decrepit wall surrounds an area that is probably nearly a mile square. The wall has fallen down in several places, and is in very bad repair in the parts that are still standing. The tower you noticed the night before is one of 4 guard towers at the corners where the walls meet, the only one that is still standing. The other three appear to have collapsed, two inwards onto buildings inside the city and one outwards. Through the gaps in the walls, the rest of the area is dominated by large open spaces, presumably building sites for larger vessels, and numerous large warehouse type structures in various states of disrepair.

    You get within about a 10 minute ride of the Shipyard without incident. Nothing has caught your eye or put you on guard, and you haven't seen another soul the entire time you have been traveling. You are approaching the area from the South-West most corner, which holds the singular standing guard tower. There are many gaps in the walls you could use to enter, or you could circle around to another side of the place.

    How do you proceed?
    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors




  3. #23

    Default

    "My thoughts are of caution," Viktoria comments. "I would see more of the outside before entering."

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  4. #24
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    "I too hesitate to enter under the watchful gaze of that lone tower. Probably it is empty, but if not... I would not like to be within a bow's range of it." Thorred stays alert, scanning for any sign of trouble.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPercept - (1d20+9) [23]
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

  5. #25

    Default

    "Circle it then. We circle it. See what we can see."

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+7) [15]



  6. #26

    Default

    Viktoria keeps her eyes and ears sharp as they circle the ruins from a distance, grateful for the variety of backgrounds represented by her companions. She knows that each of them will be more aware of different things, and will notice things the others might miss.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+5) [13]

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,347
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    As you all begin to circle the area, you know that it will take a good half hour to completely encircle the place, as it is roughly a mile on each side it is alot of ground to cover. You start with the southern most side, closing to just outside of bow range (What Gnool considers bow range, considering he is your bow expert), and traveling down the length of it at a slow pace, you eyes and ears open for anything strange.

    About mid-way down the southern side you come to what must be the main doors of the keep. The opening for the doorway is fully 100 feet wide and the top edge of the opening is open to air, as if the doors that once stood here were the same height as the walls around them. Which is easily believable when you see the doors, lying askew on the ground inside the keep as if knocked down from the outside. They are massive metal affairs, easily a 2 feet thick. Rust and corrosion pit their surfaces, but as thick as they are, you imagine that they would be just as sturdy as ever if put back into place.

    You continue onwards, and the entirety of the southern and eastern walls is exactly the same. Large, forbidding stone walls with huge gaps in it in several places, giving glimpses of the interior, filled with open yards for the construction of larger ships, and large, mostly collapsed and decrepit warehouse style buildings for storage and smaller vessels.

    As you round the North-East corner of the Shipyard, you all hear a resounding crash coming from inside the walls, the sound of metal on metal and stone hitting metal ringing through the air for several long seconds. Its possible that one of the warehouses has finally collapsed to time, or its possible something else has happened.

    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors




  8. #28
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    "We are not alone. At least one being is within these walls, likely near the source of that noise. Should we continue, or go to check on the sounds?" Thorred says just loud enough for his companions to hear.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

  9. #29

    Default

    "I am of a mind to investigate within," Viktoria responds.

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  10. #30

    Default

    "Ungh," Gnool grunts, clearly in the affirmative.

    "Whoever is quietest should take point...scout ahead," he adds.

    (OOC: Metagaming time! I have a +4 Stealth...what'cha got, folks? My guy's happy to be the lead man, but with his range, it also might make sense to keep him near the back, if it comes to getting everyone into a fight.)



Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •