Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: [IC] Chapter 1: The Brink of War

Blog Entries

(So.... since no one else seems to have agreed upon, or really even made any immediate plans, I will assume you're going with Viktoria's Plan.

Please correct me if someone wanted to do something else.

Also, apologies it took so long to shove this forward. I was giving you guys a few days to decide amongst yourselves what to do next, and then work took over this weekend and kicked my ever loving ass).

Captain Garret walks over to his sole remaining soldier and, activating the moonstone embedded belt, touches the man's wound, sealing it shut. The man, one Corporal Jonathon S. Tuttle, smiles grimly at his commanding officer in thanks as he slowly works the kinks out of his newly healed arm. "I'm sorry Captain.... by the time we realized what was going on, they had massacred most of the regiment. They were wearing Company 3's uniforms, so I guess they came in from the north. Must have ambushed them and taken their uni's to get into the keep. With all the excitement to the south, we only left two men on the north gate. They must not have looked too closely and just waved them on in." He shook his head.

"Sarge noticed it first I guess. I didn't realize anything was wrong though till that man...by the Gods he was fast...till he had put a dagger in Sarge and tossed him over the wall. Next thing I knew, me and Clint were fighting for our lives against that maniac. Then... then Clint was gone and the Lady appeared in his place. I... I thought I was a dead man for sure....I... I guess you know the rest Cap...."

He turns and looks at Viktoria, saluting crisply. "Thank you Ma'am. Me and Clint couldn't have taken that fiend.... if it weren't for you, I'd be as dead as the rest." He drops the salute and nods again, turning back to the Captain, following suit as you all begin your investigation into the keep.

As you make the rounds of the Keep, Captain Garret in the lead and Corporal Tuttle in the rear, its the same, sad story everywhere. Dead men, coldly murdered. The East and West Gatehouses both contain 2 dead men with slit throats. The walls above each hold 2 more men, chest wounds showing where they were stabbed brutally through the hearts. The northern Gate has only 2 men total, one on the wall and one in the Gatehouse. Of course, the Southern Gate has the Sergeant outside by your ship and Clint lying dead where the swordsman laid him out.

The mess hall has 10 men, in a range of positions, based on their distance from the door. The two closest to the door each have a gaping hole where one of their eyes should be. The wound appears similar to that a crossbow bolt might make, but the depth isn't consistent with a close range shot from a crossbow. The next two appear to have caught a throwing dagger in the throat as they looked towards the door as it opened, though the daggers are missing. The next two in line each appear to have managed to stand up before their heads were nearly severed by vicious chops of a heavy bladed weapon. The next two managed to draw blades from their sheathes, though it did neither of them any good, so says the bullet holes in their chests. The last 2 fared better, dying back to back with weapons drawn. Multiple blade and gunshot wounds litter their bodies, a testament to the pair of Lieutenants combat prowess, but ultimately they proved lacking against the invaders.

The Barracks...... Well, one look inside the barracks is enough to make even the most battle hardened men blanch. 30 odd men, dead in their cots. Not a single one seems to have put up a fight. Not a single one seems to have even woken up...which, one might suppose, is a blessing if one were to be murdered anyway. At least they passed without much pain or fear. A single knife thrust to the heart did them all in, each and every one.

And that, Captain Garret knows, accounts for his entire Regiment. Nearly 50 men killed in a less than 15 minutes by a trio of assassins in the night. It was enough to make any man sick.

As Corporal Tuttle proves by quickly turning tail and disappearing outside the Barracks, the wracking coughs and wet splatters of his lunch betraying his stomachs inability to handle all of his comrades being cut down in such a fashion.

There is a considerable amount of Armaments that could be found here, if one were prepared to rob the dead.... Though, for Captain Garret, it wouldn't really be robbing, but merely repossessing Patrol equipment that was no longer being used, for later use.

(If you are so inclined, the following is available.
    59 Mwk Chain shirts with attached Shining Patrol patches
    59 Mwk Longswords with pommels emblazoned with the symbol of the Shining Patrol.
    59 Mwk Longbows
    59 Mwk Daggers
    1000 odd arrows
    10 Altherian Rifles
    10 Altherian Pistols
    2 Kegs of Blackpowder
    400 odd Bullets
    Supplies to feed a legion of 50 men for 60 days, 30 days of perishable goods and 30 days of rations.
    6 Months pay for 50 Shining Patrol members. (Average of 200 GP per Soldier, or 10,000 GP)
    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors

"Captain, I would hear your thoughts regarding inventory." Viktoria's eyes sweep the kitchen and pantry. "Abandoned they might be, for any friend or foe to find. Claimed for New-Althere-That-Remains they might be, to aid in resistance effort. Delivered to next outpost they might be, if any outpost remains." She turns to Garret. "Yours be the choice."

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy

"These things could do much good in the hands of Rychar, but we can scarcely afford the time spent returning if we are to get ahead of our foes..." Thorred looks around, then shrugs. "And better burned than left for our foes to take." He goes silent, his fingers idly toying with something in one of his belt pouches.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

"We have a ship. It will take work, but we have room. We will take the guns. We will take the powder, the bullets, and the supplies. We will surely take the gold. As to blades, bows and armor, it should be sold or given to another of your regiments, Captain Garrett. For the keep? Burn it. Burn it and let the souls in it rest," Gnool declares after looking everything over carefully.

Garret went to his office, where all the paperwork to run a place like a fort was kept. He hated doing all the paperwork, gods knew, but it was a necessity. Thankfully, he had an assistant for that. Had.

He started gathering the various log books. The captain understood what had happened here, but his higher-ups needed to know. The families of the soldiers needed to know.

Eventually, Garret returned to the rest of the party, log books in hand. "We'll take what we can. I want to give some of that gold to the families of these soldiers. Compensation for what happened here today... Once we're done loading, I could use a hand giving the fallen a proper funeral..."

[ Garret will claim 4 pistols for himself, enough to complete his bandoliers. He will set aside 2k of the gold for the families of the soldiers, the rest to run his vengence campaign. From there, he lets the party take whatever they feel like from the fort while he builds a funeral pyre for the fallen soldiers... ]

"I will help you," Gnool says firmly, nodding as if he understood.

Which, gods knew, he did.

Viktoria takes nothing for herself. She will assist with the funeral pyre.

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy

Thorred will load as much as he can of the food supplies, as well as suggesting to Gnool that he take the arrows. He'll also take 2 of the masterwork daggers, preferably not from any of the corpses. Noting the Captain's use of firearms, he'll secure at least one of the kegs of powder and some of the bullets. He'll join in helping build the funeral pyre, but raises his voice before it can be lit. "We should make sure that we want nothing else from this place, then set the pyre to spread to the rest. This place has seen foul acts. Better to cleanse it with fire and build anew should the day come when a new patrol can be stationed here."
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122