Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 218

Thread: [IC] Chapter 1: The Brink of War

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,347
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default [IC] Chapter 1: The Brink of War

    With the world standing on the Brink of war, there is much that needs done to try to prevent it, or to ready for the coming onslaught.

    The three of you find yourselves standing near a trio of horses, your horses to be exact (or one that has been supplied if you did not have one). You have gathered what supplies you needed, made your purchases, and are ready to head out.

    Where will you go? What will you do?

    Rychar mentioned an old Shipyard that might provide some aide. Perhaps that is a good place to start. But the decision is yours.

    What will you do?

    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Brother Thorred sighs. "I was supposed to contact my Order today, to ask for further direction from my Master. It looks as if I have received guidance from another source now. Still I must at least send them word of what has happened and the part I feel called to play. As for anything else... I will follow where you lead. At least for now."
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

  3. #3

    Default

    Viktoria looks around at the remains of the city, committing it to memory before turning her attention back to her companions.

    "Burn well this sight into your memory, so that each time we return we may know if trouble has rained or progress proceeded." She takes a deep breath before continuing. "Rychar is right; we shall need faster transport than these noble steeds. Let us start by checking the old shipyard he mentioned. Time for discussing other plans can be found on the road."

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,347
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    A young boy, covered in dust and bits of debris like most people in the city right now, who had been standing off to the side resting on a barrel, hops off his perch and jogs over to Thorred. "Pardon me Sir, but Mr. R. asked me ta stick around and make sure you folks didn't need anything else. I gots some paper and pen here, if'n you want ta write a message ta your Order. Mr. R. is sending out messages left and right today. He'll make sure it gets on the right courier ta get where its goin." The boy produces a few sheets of paper and a writing board from the bag on his back, complete with writing pen and a full inkwell. He offers it to you to write your message on.



    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Nodding his acceptance, Thorred quickly scribes out an account of his travels since his last note, ending with what has transpired since his arrival at the Fourth Wall. He places a mark known to only those of his order at the bottom near his name, then allows the boy to seal it. "My thanks to you and good Rychar. What's your nam..." The question dying off as he watches the boy scramble away. "Oh well. If we are decided on the shipyard shall we depart or are there other things either of you need to see to?"

    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

  6. #6

    Default

    (OOC: Absent? Me? Just because I drove five hours, have spotty hotel internet and need to be at work in thirty minutes? Nahhhh...I can post )

    Fox, I'm on my iPad, so the map is tricky to see. Is the city south of Althere called Saiyr? Hard to read it on here. Either way, as you said sandbox, I'm going to treat it as such. Please correct me if I'm overstepping my player bounds.)

    "I would have you send a letter as well, boy," Gnool says, somewhat surprisingly. "Two, in fact."

    And then, pen awkwardly in hand, the hobgoblin scribbles the following:

    'Althere has risen. Death rains from above and there is money to be made. Seek Rychar in the ruins of the city. Ask for me. There is work to be done. Gnool.'

    Each letter is identical.

    "Lad, I need these sent to Freeport. In the Summer's Den tavern, two brothers dwell. Faar and Faa. Hobgoblins, like myself. My thanks."

    Turning to his companions, he nods and grunts, "To the shipyard then."

    (OOC: Gnool worked with the brothers on a job two years back. Both are Fighters, around level four I'd imagine. Loyal and dog faced like Gnool, he feels comfortable reaching out to them first. That said, being a traveling assassin all those years, my guy's got to have lots of contacts around the world, and I'd like to use them periodically to add to our band of rebels and would-be world-savers. Let me know what you think, bud.)
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 05-22-2014 at 06:14 PM.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    1,347
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default



    The boy accepts your letters as well, sealing them in the same manner, before scampering off (as described above).

    The three of you mount up, some more gracefully than others, and begin riding east, following the directions that Rychar gave you. After the grueling day of chaos, it is heading into the mid-afternoon, and you only have a few hours of daylight ahead of you, but you are determined to make the most of it. Your horses, unlike you, are fresh and rested and eager to run, having built up a lot of nervous energy due to the events of the day.

    And so you give them their reins and let them do so for a while, running off their nervousness and putting miles between you and New Althere. The weather is beautiful and quite pleasant, and the wind across your faces is refreshing after the dust filled air of the city.

    After a while, the horses slow to a more moderate pace, calmer from their run and ready to settle into the routine of long overland travel. After several hours, with the sun beginning to set behind you, you come across a small natural divet in the land, filled with water from a recent rain. Not a true lake, or even a pond, it is barely a dozen paces across, but would be a perfect place to stop and make camp, providing ample water for the horses and the grasslands around it providing excellent grazing.

    "Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

    For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy
    Posts
    1,072

    Default

    Almost more sliding off his horse rather than dismounting, Thorred forces his tired body to remain on its feet. Blasted horses. I thought they were supposed to save you effort while traveling, not leave more exhausted than walking does... Stretching, he turns to the others. "This appears to be a pleasant place to retire for the evening. If you wish it I will take the middle watch shift. My vision in the dark is quite sharp even when there is no light."
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

  9. #9

    Default

    "Much gratitude, Thorred." Viktoria turns to Gnool. "If you will take first watch, I will take last."

    ------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST


  10. #10

    Default

    "I take first, if you wish, Lady," Gnool said agreeably, "but my eyes are better suited for the dead of night."

    (OOC: Darkvision 60 ft., don'tcha know )



Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •