Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: D20 Based Space game

For speed: I've always preferred jump drives myself that require time to charge up, and of course time to plot the coordinates of the jump itself. You can still run and dodge, but you can get into a situation where when your jump drive activates you can escape and he can't follow, but his normal drives are superior to yours and thus while your jump drive isn't charged he chooses the range of engagement (well to an extent you dive into an asteroid belt and his choice of range is a bit more restricted).

For computers and piloting: While things in space do happen quickly with the jump drives and in system drives they don't happen nearly so fast (as you no longer need to be capable of even getting near light speed). Add into that missiles and other homing weaponry and only the cannons at dogfighting range become questionable as to whether a human could move them fast enough, but with augmented pilots, or even non-human ones it's definitely possible, plus of course continuous beam energy weapons, rather then discrete projectiles.

Blog Entries

Gryphon,

That sort of system works just fine. Usually it is Power that you get each Turn and you can allocate it where it is needed. But Character Skill controls can work too.

Darren,

Having to charge up Jump Drives works too. I just rather like the idea of really travelling through Space. Especially doing so at extreme velocities.

You can of course make your HyperSpace work anyway you wish but to me it takes away the 'terrain of space'. Having to plot a course that worries about Solar Systems, Nebulas, and that Sun that might be going Nova, that is all part of the experience.

If you plot a course for use in an aircraft you take a map and mark waypoints. Visible terrain or other features that you can spot along the way. When you fly the plotted course you watch for the waypoints and keep track of your course. Weather matters a lot and you keep an eye on it all the time. It can force you to alter course or land quickly. Flying is a very enjoyable experience and you really feel the land you fly over. You are part of the sky.

Instead you take off, build up speed and fly into a Portal. Put the craft on auto and wait. Fly out the other end and get ready for landing. Efficient and safe, but dull.

I once made a stand-alone game where all of Space was covered in huge overlapping zones of energy. There were 5 different types each with somewhat different properties. To travel and fight you had to make proper use of the different energies and use the terrain thus created to your advantage. It made combat very interesting. But it gave Space, which is mostly just empty, some serious terrain.

A.T
    (-)
    Last edited by Alexander Tau; 04-25-2009 at 02:06 AM.

Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy

Interesting ideas, guys. I like the idea of adding sensors to stats for ships. For space travel, I think I'll go with the idea that ships can make hyperjumps, but not from any place to another. If there were a set of points were you had to navigate from one point to another and then another to get to where you want to go, that might make a good mix. As for computer power, gonna go with that's a moot point, they have handhelds that can do more than our supercomputers. Basic ship computers can still operate faster than the ships can respond. Flight/Piloting(Dex) will be a skill that has an effect on ship piloting. As for weapons, since this isn't meant to focus on ships and ship combat, I think it would be better to limit it to one type of weapon system for now. Don't want to make this game too complex in the begining.
    Last edited by SoberIrishman; 04-25-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

Blog Entries

Well as far as the computers goes the point was a relative comparision. It would be an added level of combat but not really that important. But the Ship with the more powerful computer would have a decided advantage.

But just tossing ideas to ya not married to any of them. *grins*

A.T
    (-)

Add in Ridiculous speed, and I'll be happy

What about Luduacris Speed? It comes in plaid.
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”

We must have the speed of plaid!

The Speed of Plaid is now available in certain select Starships. Thank you for your patience in this matter. Pocal your ship is the third one on the right, the one actually named "The Speed of Plaid".

9. Default

ok so we got the races, classes (witch i think that "Hacker" should be one of them), skills, ships and equipment. I think we should start on the cybernetic upgrades:
    each upgrade has 3 lvls with each lvl the price will go up and the bonuses will to.

robotic arm right: str +1 at lvl1, +2 at lvl2, +3 at lvl3
    robotic arm left: str +1

Robotic leg right: speed +0.5 str+1 at lvl1, +2 at lvl2, +3 at lvl3
    Robotic leg left : speed +0.5, str +1 at lvl1, +2 at lvl2, +3 at lvl3

cybernetic eyes: Dex +1 at lvl1, +2 at lvl2, +3 at lvl3

cybernetic brain implants : int or wis +1 at lvl1, +2 at lvl2, +3 at lvl3 ( the payer chooses between int or wis, you have 2 slots for the cybernetic brain implants)

I did not put at what lvl your char must be to buy the different upgrades because we have not created a leveling system yet hopefully that will come soon
    Note:I welcome creative criticism.
    Last edited by Gryphon; 04-28-2009 at 08:06 PM.

They seem a little powerful for feats, but I guess it would depend on the cost as to whether they're overpowered. As for leveling up, I would use the D&D 3.5 edition experience chart for determining levels.
    Last edited by SoberIrishman; 04-29-2009 at 01:03 AM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast