Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: [IC] Prologue: Destiny Awaits

(OOC: Sorry, Ra, the lady on the horse is headed upstairs!)

"Gratitude, Rychar."
    Viktoria takes her key and heads up to her usual room. Nothing special about it, save its location at the end of a hall. Within minutes she was has stripped off her armor and eased her weary body into a tub of hot water. The first, short soak is followed by a vigorous scrubbing, then by a longer soak. When she finally emerges from her room an hour later, she iss cleaner and more relaxed than she has been in, well, three months. Her hair, still wet, is braided neatly down her back. As was her custom she wears a military-styled tunic and breeches, both blue in color, with sandals on her feet and a dagger on her belt.

As she steps back into the common room Viktoria pauses to take a look at the crowd.

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

(OOC: I don't blame anyone for not wanting to sit with Gnool. Surely, he'd understand too.)

Pretty lady, the dog-faced archer thought, watching a woman - unknowingly known as Viktoria - do what they did every time he put his hood down.

Who wouldn't, he thought with embittered resolve, eyes trying to stay front...and, somewhat subconsciously, down.

3. Default

The boundless stars of a clear night glinted in the sky, piercing the light mist of the hot springs. The warm steam wafted in the air, blending with a medley of incenses and seasoned oils. The warm water wrapped itself around the skin, around every joint, relaxing away a day's pain. Light, gentle music carried from a distant harp. It was a true paradise; even New Althere didn't have such luxury available as ready or cheap as Ebaster could acquire it. He and Elathaza sank into the waters, dining on the richest tastes, letting the setting take over their every sense.

Their serenity was broken by a loud, sharp banging. Ebaster grumbled, and looked to Elathaza, who was just as displeased at the intrusion. Slowly, the beautiful night sky faded to milky white. The starlight became a candelabra. The warm, comforting heat slipped away into the tepid city night. The scented incenses and oils became a mere memory. All around them, Ebaster's office replaced their paradise. The end of their rapture was finalized by a second set of knocks at the door.

"Come in!" Ebaster bellowed as he took his seat behind his desk. As the employee came in, carrying a stack of paper that could crush a gnome, Ebaster pulled a cigar, taking a few puffs, and glared at his own daunting task. "These the reports I asked for?"

"Yes, Mr. Ebaster. All the information we could pull on metal work and imports are New Althere over the past few months. From all the sources you told us to check."

"Good. Good. Set 'em down."

Ebaster took another drag on his cigar as he watched the stack of paper become three towering stacks on his desk. As soon as the heavy lifting was done, he banished the employee from the room. He rubbed his hands together. His grin forced his teeth down on the cigar. Somewhere, in all this paper, is the secret of the first gift. And once I find it, I'm gonna be rich. He reached up, his arm only making it halfway up the first stack. "Elathaza! Grab the first report!"

Havelock Vetenari walked casually down the evening streets of New Althre, taking in the sights and sounds of this wondrous city, hands clasped thoughtfully behind his back. "Isn't it magnificent, Kunu? How do they do it? Everything is so pristine, as though it's never been touched." He runs his finger along the railing of a nearby shop window as he speaks to the man walking alongside him, dressed in simple blue robes just as Vetenari himself was dressed in simple, but very well made, black ones. The man in blue doesn't say anything in return, almost as though he knows his friend is speaking rhetorically. "Let us find a local inn and experience the people of this vibrant city. I'm sure that Ebaster will take care of business affairs in my absence." He looks up and down the street for a likely place, even going so far as to ask a local to recommend a place with good food and a decent common room.

Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy

Bowing his head in thanks Thorred takes the mug when offered. "I'm afraid I haven't yet seen Brother Ivan since my first stay here. I will of course tell him how wonderful you and your staff have been when I return. I am... uncertain as to where I'm headed next. Best to open a tab. I don't know if I could pull myself away after a single night." He then takes the key and sits to wait for his food. He notices the arrival of Gnool, but doesn't react to the reveal of his appearance. How many times have I been the one to draw stares? No need to be a part of it. He continues to sit quietly and keep his eyes down to avoid anyone noticing his eyes or teeth.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

Blog Entries

"Ho there wanderer... Stay thy course a moment to indulge an old man." ~Elminster, BG1, just outside Candlekeep

For Evil to triumph, all good men must do is nothing. The corollary to that proverb is that sometimes evil must be done by honorable men for the greater good to triumph. ~Twilight Warriors

"Corylani port, from the val'Tensen vineyards." Vik sits in front of the steaming bowl and inhales appreciatively. "And pepper sauce - blandness of employer but barely exceeded blandness of food in months past. I would burn memory of both from mouth."

------------

Somewhere between reality and my own fantasy

Thorred sits quietly and focuses on little but enjoying the pleasure of his meal for a while. It wasn't often he got to enjoy such good fare, and one of the lessons the monks had taught him is to focus on the good things in life. He pushes away an empty bowl and sighs in contentment just as the Rychar's greeting rings out announcing the return of the lady from before. He continues to sit and sip his drink, trying to resist the urge to rush off and bathe himself. I must continue to practice my control and restraint. Calm and detached is the way to purge the evil taint from my soul.
    "Behold I have become Death, Destroyer of worlds."
    Quote Originally Posted by D&D Basic Rules, Altered by me
    Disclaimer: [Your DM, TTW and] Wizards of the Coast [are] not responsible for the consequences of splitting up the party, opening hidden coffins, shaking up or mixing unfinished alchemical potions, throwing a stick past a werewolf and yelling "Fetch!", angering a dragon of any variety, or saying yes when the DM asks, “Are you really sure?”
    Do you dare challenge my Brute?

Maybe it was the new city.

Maybe it was the hearty stew and friendly, non-judgmental innkeeper.

Or, maybe - aye, most likely - it was the drink.

But whatever the reason, Gnool did something he almost never did: He spoke to someone without being invited to speak first. Even more impressively, it was a woman!

"You should try this instead," were his five growled words, flicking his canine eyes at the woman who he'd seen an hour before, when he arrived. His words were uttered just as the asked-for glass of port was ordered.

He meant it too. While Gnool was a man who'd have a drink or six, he wasn't an expert by any means. Rotgut moonshine and cheap kegs of booze were all the hobgoblin had really experimented with. When you're a dog-faced killer, who has time for a delicate palate?

But this! Oh, gods, this! When he'd dropped that shot glass in, as instructed, the bowman sat mesmerized, watching the elements interact in their incredible, alchemical dance. When things had settled, he'd taken a sip.

That was it.

He was sold.

After telling the barman - Rychar, he'd learned - how good it was, the hobgoblin had gone back to his drink with relish, savoring every single drop. He still had about a quarter of a glass left when he spoke to the woman.

And once the dam was broken, so to speak, other words - such a rarely utilized skill in his various trades over the years - began to flow out.

"I have never tasted anything like it," he added, tapping the glass meaningfully with one long-nailed finger. "Sir Rychar here knows his trade well."

He didn't expect her to reply, of course. He half expected her to get up and run away, but it did seem to Gnool that, after an hour of drinking fine ale and slurping stew, people around here didn't seem too terribly worried that a half-hobgoblin sat in their midst.

Turning to address the barman briefly once more, the archer says, "I agree that the old ways are sometimes the best ways, Sir Rychar. Even though you do not know them personally, as you say, do you recall any names of fletchers or bowyers in the city? Or, if not, do you know of anyone who might know?"

These words were spoken lowly, so as not to draw too much attention, but not so low that both Thorred and Vik wouldn't hear them, considering that they sat so close to Gnool as it was.

Viktoria chuckles. "Aye, Rychar stands as god among taverners. Hand will drop glass soon enough, but first I would replace taste of weak wine with good port from home." When Viktoria actually looks at Gnool he can see her eyes clearly for the first time, dark pupils surrounded only by white.

------------

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast