Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter Four: Are There Any Bad Seeds?

1. Default

Don't think that being honorable will protect this gate from whatever they have in store..."

"Do we think they'll have someone sneak in while the duel is in progress?" Shade asks.

"Based on how the portal reacted to the last attempt," he indicates the force wall, "I think they would have little benefit... Although It may be in Lady Weslen's best interest to put some sort of invisibility detection if she is concerned for it."
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-30-2020 at 07:40 AM.

"if I was trying to sneak through the gate? I would wait till the duel was started as well, and the drow are far more devious than I am" Flint shrugs, lending his opinion as a "reformed" catburgler, all the business with Fort gnash in riddle port just the day before didn't really count after all, he's main reason for being there was to rescue a damsel in distress, stealing everything of value was just a side bonus.

Jack eagerly gobbles whatever Fllint and Shade combined offer him, and accepts any incidental pats, pets, or gentle scratches if they're also on offer.

"Greetings, Pang. A pleasure to meet you."
    "I would hardly call you my teacher" Flint rolls his eyes at Pang's introduction "the only thing you taught me is that I should probably find a deep hole to drop you in" Flint grins softly
    Pang, telepathically so the whole group assembled can "hear," except Lady Weslen, speaks with heavy irony: <If you find such hole and use it, that will be important lesson for both of us. You have been learning from me. But not manners. Perhaps this kind witch will help you.

Dropping the wry tone, he continues,

Your responses have been most calm and welcome, Miss Renard. I think you have been accustomed to unusual allies in your past.

Because I can speak to minds, without drow or fetchlings knowing, allow me to offer my services as messenger during contest?>

Lady Weslen begins casting her monitoring spell [status] on the contestants, saving Ulvenn and Flint for last. (Out of view, the eye on their golden rings blinks shut as her divination spell fails.)

"Strange, I do not think my spell has worked on you, gentlemen. This may sound like a gruesome suggestion, but with a drop of blood from those who are willing, I could work a different spell? A life bonding spell [life pact] that will stabilize any of you who fall unconscious from blood loss?"

"If they insist on a formal beginning to the duel then so will I. 10 paces and beginning the duel on the ground is only fair.
    The fetchling nods. "I will stipulate these terms."

OOC:

You can take her up on life pact casting, or not.

Status simply tells Lady Weslen if anyone is poisoned, injured (and how badly), or afflicted by any other condition.

EDIT: Peasblossom has Spell Resistance. But she can lower it as a Standard action if she wants to let Lady Weslen cast a spell.

@JB: Let me know if she is NOT lowering it, and Lady Weslen will make a CL check or two to overcome SR?
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-30-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grayson Tagger View Post
    "if I was trying to sneak through the gate? I would wait till the duel was started as well, and the drow are far more devious than I am"

Lady Weslen looks over at the wall of force that has been triggered over the Gate, and the damaged golems covered in acid that has made their golden paint run. "Whoever tried to use the Gate failed. They will fail again. I will have living guards stationed here as well as the constructs, and I am already monitoring their condition as well. If there is a disturbance, I will know, and I will call a halt to the duel to investigate."

"Based on how the portal reacted to the last attempt," he indicates the force wall, "I think they would have little benefit... Although It may be in Lady Weslen's best interest to put some sort of invisibility detection if she is concerned for it."
    The artificer smiles at Ulvenn. "My golems do detect invisibility, and much more besides." The smile fades as she recalls her own detection-driven spell just failed against not one by two of them.

"It is possible my golems' detection can be prevented by a spellcaster who knows what they are doing. But they would still have to get past the force wall and any that replace it, and stop my guards from warning me a breach is in progress, and that is not simple."
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-30-2020 at 07:41 AM.

6. Default

You have been learning from me. But not manners. Perhaps this kind witch will help you.
    Shade stifles a grin at Pang's suggestion. Teaching the cocky rogue manners would be quite a magic trick. Probably beyond her.

This may sound like a gruesome suggestion, but with a drop of blood from those who are willing, I could work a different spell? A life bonding spell [life pact] that will stabilize any of you who fall unconscious from blood loss?
    Shade winces. "It's unlikely that bloodloss is what will take me down should I fall during this duel. But given that my companions fight so much more up close and personal, I would be willing if they have need of me."

Shade holds her ring of shielding, making sure the protection is still in place. "Peasblossom, make a mental note for us to purchase some potions at the earliest opportunity. I don't think we'll have time for brewing anytime soon."

Peasblossom nods. Then shes feels unease roll through the empathic link between her and Shade. She lifts her chin and straightens her spine. "I'm ready. Give it to me."

Shade nods. Without another moment of hesitation, she touches Peasblossom on top of her pink head, whispering the words of the dark spell. Black energy curls from her finger tip, rolling over Peasblossom. "Careful," she warns. Silently, she adds, Please, for the love of all that is holy, be careful, my friend.

Peasblossom gives her a wink, then blinks out of sight, invisible once again.

[OOC: Shade gives Peasblossom Stricken Heart spell]
    Last edited by jblackstream; 03-30-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Flint accepts the spell, taking off his glove so that the fetchling can prick his finger

Ulvenn too agrees, removing a glove that he may be protected by the spell.

9. Default

Shade follows her companions' lead and extends her hand. As does Peasblossom.

(OOC: They'll lower spell resistance if necessary.)

INDOORS:

Lady Weslen takes a sewing needle, sterilizes it with a vial of alchemical solution, and pricks each of them on the smallest finger, starting with Shade and (once visible again) Peasblossom. She has to be quick dabbing each of the men with her handkerchief to catch the blood before the wound closes around a pinprick of blue light.

[GM note: @JB Shade can roll Knowledge Nature if she likes? Also, whenever, Knowledge Planes for the Hellhound the warned her the drow priestess has.]

[GM question @Zeros/GT: Are Jack and Syriaax participating? This could protect them too, unless you want to rely on just the status spell for that. I just need to know.]

Once she has the handkerchief with four [?] drops upon it, she twists it and wraps the handkerchief around one palm with the stained side facing outward, makes a fist, and tugs the cloth out again in a taut rope, succinctly pronouncing "Ex eodem fonte levet." At her words each blood drop transforms into a spark of white light that leaps outward and into the chest of each of the creatures who donated one.

She smiles at them, looking relieved, and then heads for the smashed doorway. The fetchling pauses at the doorway. "I will leave you to your preparations. The lines of the field have been drawn in white chalk, fifty feet by one hundred, and some of the drow are already in place. Come out when you are ready, and we will go over the rules of engagement?"

She gives them a moment to respond, and adds sincerely, "Thank you for lending a hand in our hour of need. I will find a more substantial way to thank you after the duel, of course, no matter the outcome. Ashlan may have mentioned it already, but this would be a particularly inopportune time for the drow to snoop around in here. I have big plans for my newest golem design and I'd much rather keep them secret."

OOC:

Life pact cast on Shade, Peasblossom, Ulvenn, and Flint. [@Zeros/GT: Let me know if Jack/Syriaax want in?]
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-31-2020 at 04:36 AM.

Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast