Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 322

Thread: Chapter Four: Are There Any Bad Seeds?

  1. #141

    Default Pre-Duel Introductions

    OUTDOORS:

    [GM NOTE: As always, you are free to respond to an earlier post instead, and using the quotes function helps keeps things clear. INDOORS/OUTDOORS labels help as well.]

    [REMEMBER, there is a formal face-to-face introduction before the duel, so everyone has to at least appear to be visible for that? (I'm trying not to read your plans, but it's hard not to glimpse things not in spoiler tags). That is also when the rules will be explained, so everyone must be manifestly present.]


    When Shade approaches the dueling field, one of the male drow walks up to her, his palms up and empty at his sides. He has long white hair and skin dark as ebony, more closely resembling Matron Chazserae than the other three dusky purple skinned drow.

    He does not dress much differently than the other two drow guards---flexible chainmail in dark metal links over a talberd in dark purple, and a handful of sheathed daggers at his belt which also hold a morningstar and clips of bolts and a repeating crossbow. But he carries himself differently, more erect and open in his body language, and his solid white eyes seek out hers.

    A few feet away he inclines his head respectfully to the witch before introducing himself. "Ontavien of House K'nessos." In a lower tone he adds, "For what it is worth, I agree with what you said earlier, this show of violence is unnecessary. Not to mention a waste of precious resources that ought to be kept ready for a real and immediate threat. I tried telling our matron of my concerns after you went indoors, but her response was as curt as I expected."

    He waits for her reply before adding, "If you do not mind my asking, what did you say to that nighthaunt to make it behave that way? To my knowledge their kind are not susceptible to spells of mental influence."


    The third drow participating in the duel, a soldier if his bearing and spiked heavy shield are anything to go by, gives Ulvenn an appraising look and a nod, his solid red eyes lingering enviously the hilts of his crafted weapons. As far the Ulfen can tell, none of these drow save for Vothor met them before in the tunnels. (Though no doubt the priestess has filled them in on anything she observed.)

    When Ulvenn is within ten feet of him, this drow does not attempt a handshake but does nod and offer his name, stoutly, "I am R'uentor. Of House Na'ad."

    Ulvenn is familiar enough with the Darklands and their way of speaking to know this means R'uentor has no officially recognized familial House to provide for and protect him, and is therefore in a very precarious and lowly position in drow society. The kind that makes some desperate to prove themselves and others just desperate.


    When and if Vothor manages to catch Flint's eye, she draws a finger across her throat in a universal gesture. Doing so draws attention to her familiar gold choker with an emerald. The epaulets on her ceremonial looking armor bears House Do'Uxtrix's crest, a snake curled around a blood red gem. Aside from the matron herself, she wears the most finery and looks least dressed for a brawl.

    Unlike her kin, she offers no formal introduction.


    OOC:

    Over to you...each of the participants is "greeting" a different PC, to start.
    Last edited by magrat4; 03-31-2020 at 04:36 AM.

  2. #142

    Default

    Indoors

    Ulvenn accepts the spell but declines Syriaax taking it as well, she wasn't to be directly in the battle, using her illusions at most. "'Casper' be sure to stay with Syriaax's illusion until after we start the match, fool them as long as possible, and Shade, can you ask Syriaax to have her illusion simply walk alongside me."

    ((These are obviously my idea and no one has to follow them. But if Flint keeps in line with his illusion (while invisible) it should fool the smeller while within the 30 feet. If we spread out as described in OOC its not as important, but still effective distraction... I hope))

    Outdoors

    "I am Ulvenn, him of his own house," he says a mix of cheek but ringing of more than a little truth. "Some ground rules are in order. You've obviously prepared your own magical defenses, and I fear no familiar you deign to bring to the ring, but once we begin nothing outside this 'arena' shall enter to join combat, no spells shall be cast by them after we begin. The exception of course, is aid for those you yield. To strike a yielded or downed foe is to disqualify themself. Are we agreed?"


  3. Default

    "Ontavien of House K'nessos." In a lower tone he adds, "For what it is worth, I agree with what you said earlier, this show of violence is unnecessary. Not to mention a waste of precious resources that ought to be kept ready for a real and immediate threat. I tried telling our matron of my concerns after you went indoors, but her response was as curt as I expected."
    "Well met, Ontavien of House K'nessos. I am Shade of House Kurinyye Nozhki. I am sorry your words of wisdom fell on deaf ears. I detest wasting my time."


    He waits for her reply before adding, "If you do not mind my asking, what did you say to that nighthaunt to make it behave that way? To my knowledge their kind are not susceptible to spells of mental influence."
    Shade lets all traces of humor fade from her face, her features taking on the mask she wore as a village witch protecting her people. The look she gave to those who would threaten her charges, but had a moment, a single moment, to change their path. "The nighthaunts are not the most intelligent creatures, but even they recognize that it is far preferable to have me as a friend, than an enemy. And I am not one to judge a person for their past, or their previous alliances, so it is never too late to shift from one category, and its grim consequences, to the other with its endless promise."


  4. #144

    Default

    Flint has the naseating sensation of standing within his own silent image as he introduces himself "Good Morning, I am Casper Rooke of house Ash of the City Grim" Flint can't help but show off, in some way revealing his true name

    ooc
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollstealth - (d20+43) [46]

  5. #145

    Default

    "I do not know House Nozhki offhand, but I do not move in wide circles. Not yet," the drow replies to Shade.

    Quote Originally Posted by jblackstream View Post
    Shade lets all traces of humor fade from her face, her features taking on the mask she wore as a village witch protecting her people. The look she gave to those who would threaten her charges, but had a moment, a single moment, to change their path. "The nighthaunts are not the most intelligent creatures, but even they recognize that it is far preferable to have me as a friend, than an enemy. And I am not one to judge a person for their past, or their previous alliances, so it is never too late to shift from one category, and its grim consequences, to the other with its endless promise."
    Ontavien's eyebrows raise and he continues at the same discreet volume, "You might have to speak slowly to me, as though I were a nighthaunt. Are you saying that by participating in this duel, I set myself up as your enemy? I believe you would rather have me participating than the other guard. I will not be swayed by Vothor's personal vendetta against your...very vocal co-combatant, and I will treat this as the nonlethal contest it is intended to be."


    OOC:

    Carry on (combat mat will be posted tomorrow)

  6. #146

    Default

    INDOOR

    "Lady Weslyn, could I have you watch over the smallest of our combatants during the match? She can look after herself well enough, but I'd like to avoid an ill-aimed fireball to similar to harm her."


    OUTDOOR

    Ulvenn silently considers the drow's statement that he's treating this as nonlethal, and although he's doubtful of the Drow's motive, he knows that he'll hold nothing back against Vothor (short of breaking the rules and disqualifying himself of course). Not worth giving that particular drow any opportunity to leave this with more reasons to hate Flint.
    Last edited by Zeros; 04-01-2020 at 12:43 AM.


  7. #147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    "I am Ulvenn, him of his own house," he says a mix of cheek but ringing of more than a little truth.
    "No House or kin will claim you either then," R'uentor scoffs. "I guess we will see who's the better bastard."


    "Vothor of House Do'Uxtrix," the priestess in the gold choker announces herself to Shade and Ulvenn at the same time, pointedly not looking at "Casper" again.

    "Ruentor, House Na'ad," the soldier with the spiked shield follows suit, except that he gives Flint a severe look and slight cautionary shake of his head.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zeros View Post
    "Some ground rules are in order. You've obviously prepared your own magical defenses, and I fear no familiar you deign to bring to the ring, but once we begin nothing outside this 'arena' shall enter to join combat, no spells shall be cast by them after we begin. The exception of course, is aid for those who yield. To strike a yielded or downed foe is to disqualify themself. Are we agreed?"
    "After?" the drow matron pounces on the word. "But before is fine, is it? So I may bless my champions now?"

    Lady Weslen sighs, "I was just getting to the rules of engagement."

    She emits a shrill whistle and waits for all duelists eyes' to be upon her before continuing. "You are about to match skills in a nonlethal contest. Nonlethal methods of attack are preferred, as are attempts to incapacitate rather than gravely injure. First I will go over what is forbidden.

    First, any magic, poison, or other method specifically intended to kill even a healthy target instantly is forbidden. The side who dares employ such a method will be disqualified immediately and will pay a blood price to have the victim's life restored.

    Second, aid from an ally outside the designated field is forbidden, unless that ally is myself or one of my golems. My golems and I will render aid to a contestant that falls unconscious from injury, or whom my tracking spell deems is dangerously close, by extracting them from the arena.

    [GM NOTE:
    In game terms, a contestant that goes within 15 HP of going to 0 or below will be extracted for their own safety.]

    Third, I should not have to say this, but attacking or interfering with an unconscious contestant or the agent extracting them for their own safety, or anyone not participating in the duel, is forbidden.

    Fourth, the magic spells I have placed on contestants for their safety may not be removed. I will know if one of you dispels my magic, and the one who did the dispelling will be disqualified and forced to exit the arena, and we will have to call a halt until I can restore what was lost.

    That takes care of what is forbidden.

    The duel will formally end when all of one side's contestants are either outside the arena or unconscious. Contestants may voluntarily leave the arena to declare they are ending their own participation at any time, and this is highly encouraged. Obviously someone who has been knocked or teleported out of the arena by someone on the other team will be allowed to rejoin."


    The fetchling artificer looks around. "Any questions about these terms before we begin?"
    Last edited by magrat4; 04-23-2020 at 04:02 PM.

  8. #148

    Default

    "Sorry to have overstepped my bounds milady," Ulvenn says with a mild bow, but imagines to Syriaax the image of Flint dissappearing the moment ulvenn draws his axe. Can't be charged with cheating now can we


  9. Default

    "You might have to speak slowly to me, as though I were a nighthaunt. Are you saying that by participating in this duel, I set myself up as your enemy? I believe you would rather have me participating than the other guard. I will not be swayed by Vothor's personal vendetta against your...very vocal co-combatant, and I will treat this as the nonlethal contest it is intended to be."
    Shade holds the scowl from her face, but internally groans. Always frustrating when someone fails to take the hint. "Truly, I am grateful that you will follow the spirit of the duel. Unnecessary and pointless as it is. I believe we're being called to the field, so if you'll excuse me."

    It hurt not to roll her eyes as she walked away. Shade didn't know many drow. Any drow, really. Odd that he expected her to be grateful that he would play by the rules.

    Oh, well, she thinks to herself. Perhaps he'll end our encounter the same way as the nighthaunt...

  10. #150

    Default

    Jack, who has not been included in the status spell distribution or the life pact, hops outside after the party and growls at Vothor when she comes within forty paces of Flint.

    The drow's eyes flicker to the almiraj and she sneers but comes no closer.

    Jack goes by Lady Weslen, but when she tries to pet him, burrows down into the sand in a sulky retreat.

    Syriaax is more friendly, perching on the fetchling's mechanical arm shoulder and concentrating on the "Flint" illusion.


    Shade holds the scowl from her face, but internally groans. Always frustrating when someone fails to take the hint. "Truly, I am grateful that you will follow the spirit of the duel. Unnecessary and pointless as it is. I believe we're being called to the field, so if you'll excuse me."

    Ontavien watches her walk away, certain he has irritated her but bewildered as to how. His attempts at levity and earnestness fell utterly flat. The more fool him, he supposes, for thinking that any human could regard any drow with anything more than disgust and contempt, given his people's dark history. And, he concedes, given the current company he keeps, knowing that humans often judged people by their company rather than individual actions.


    Lady Weslen explains the rules of engagement.

    "Creatures summoned into the ring are allowed?" Vothor clarifies.

    "Yes, so long as this 'summoned creature' is not an ally currently outside the ring," the fetchling artificer clarifies.

    [Room for other questions/clarifications.]


    At last the combatants take their places, on the sand. The drow initially gather in a circle and have a brief conference in a special drow form of hand signals, with Vothor gesturing once angrily to Flint and Ontavien gesturing emphatically at Lady Weslen and shaking his head.

    Vothor points to a spot further off, and Ontavien trudges over to it, while the guard R'uentor remains beside the priestess.


    OOC:

    Next post will be combat mat.

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •