Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 251

Thread: [IC] Act I - Dead Ringer

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    2,128

    Default [IC] Act I - Dead Ringer

    It has been six months since Brumaldale. Damian and Gallant have traveled a great distance since then and followed many leads that they hoped might bring them to someone who could bring Yeunni back, but ultimately each thread they followed ended in disappointment. They still hold out hope, though, and they still travel with the special coffin gifted to them by Dante containing Yeunni's preserved remains.

    One evening, while riding down one of the land's many unnamed roads, cries for help reach Damian and Gallant's ears. Down in a gully to the left is a man with his back to a boulder. He wears a black robe with intricate golden accent markings all over it. Several humanoid skeletons lay in pieces all around him, and he stares in terror at the two large ogres who have him pinned against the boulder. The creatures have a terrible, smoky, purple-colored energy aura surrounding them, a physical manifestation of their power and their evil, perhaps. Their eyes glow with a similar dark, purple light.

    "Somebody help!!" the poor, trapped man screams in terror.

    [Roll opening credits]

  2. Default

    Gallant has grown noticeably hollow in the months since Brumaldale. At first it seemed to be a side effect of the lycanthropy assimilating into his body. After all, anyone that looks like that might find themselves receding into themselves for a while. But no, even as Gallant grew used to these changes, this hollowness remained. In quiet moments around flickering campfires he would sit in silence, absentmindedly rolling the coin around his neck through his fingers. On watch one night, while Damian slept in the tent, he took a new oath.

    In Brumaldale he had trusted an evil man. In Brumaldale he had taken a cursed skull and attempted to attune himself to it out of trust for an evil man. In Brumaldale, an evil man had killed many, and had killed many more before settling in that town. In Brumaldale he had died. Yuenni had been a victim of this trust. Had Gallant stayed true, had he continued pursuing evil relentlessly instead of faltering, he might have saved Damian heartbreak and kept them both from this wild chase for resurrection.

    And that was the other thing. Resurrection. Bringing back the dead. Gallant's thoughts on that were many and, all told, not even close to being sorted out.

    Gallant took a new oath, resigning his loyalty to the Ancients and instead committing himself to Vengeance. To pursue evil relentlessly without slipping for so much as a second. To let in just an ounce of darkness so that darkness could be purged from the world in its entirety. He changed his mind on law, too. It could help this pursuit, but it could burn it just as well. It would no longer serve as a barrier in his pursuit.

    (OOC: Big changes to Gallant are that his oath has changed from the Oath of the Ancients to an Oath of Vengeance, and that his alignment is now Neutral Good instead of Lawful Good)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Immediately, the man's robes and the skeletons around him bring questions to the forefront of Gallant's mind. But no time for that now.

    Jumping off the wagon, he stands on the gulley and fires two arrows from his longbow, one at each of the ogres.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 1 - (1d20+4) (13) [17]
    [rollv=Damage, Piercing]1d8+1[rollv]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack 2 - (1d20+4) (13) [17]
    [rollv=Damage, Piercing]1d8+1[rollv]

  3. Default

    Whoops, off to a great start with my dice-roller errors! Here's the (properly formatted) damage rolls.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage, Piercing - (1d8+1) (4) [5]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage, Piercing - (1d8+1) (8) [9]

  4. #4

    Default

    (OOC: Great description, Horsey! Welcome back, all!)



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,860

    Default

    Damian was a changed man. Mentally. Not physically like Gallant.

    Faced with the continuing failures to restore Yuenni and the things he had done to chase up those failures. Damian was now at war with his very nature. The Drow blood now sings ever louder in his ears.

    *The ends justify the means*.

    Laying by her casket, night after night, talking to Her. Sharing their trials and failures. Imagining Her talking back, laughing... smiling.. Selling or trading what few possessions they have for any chance at success …. Perhaps even his soul … Damian clings to the ever fading hope that Yuenni can and will be restored.

    It’s this only thing; This one desire; that stops him from becoming a monster, little better than the one that had killed her.

    (ooc: So, While Damian has not had the physical changes that Gallant has. He has become bitter, angry, cynical, cold.… far less inclined to see good in the world…. Only it’s evil. And willing to do just about anything short of open murder to see Yuenni returned to the living. In alignment terms he has gone from CG with CN to being CN with CE impulses. By impulses - I mean that he will torture to get information. He will kill to get results. But he doesn’t get any enjoyment or satisfaction from doing so. And if he can find other ways to achieve the same result first then he will do that instead.)

    ****

    Damian (secures the cart and) moves to stand beside Gallant, his crossbow in hand. Wordlessly, He glances sideways at Gallant for a moment as if weighing up whether the decision to help was worth it.

    He is slightly annoyed. Since Gallant had stolen the element of surprise. He can hardly get more than a standard shot in on the foe. It would have been much better if he could have sunk a shot into the back of one of them first.

    Shrugging slightly. He moves along the edge of the gully to make the distance slightly better - He takes note of their apparently magical nature and elects to send a couple of Eldritch Blasts down onto the Ogres instead of using his crossbow. Unlike Gallant however, he elects to put both beams into one target instead of splitting them. (The left one or the one closest to us – whichever applies).

    ****

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollEldritch Blast – Beam 1 - (1d20+6) (7) [13] for Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d10+3) (10) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollEldritch Blast – Beam 2 - (1d20+6) (14) [20] for Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d10+3) (1) [4]
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 03-11-2020 at 09:40 PM. Reason: just some grammar fixes - it was bugging my OCD
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Gallant's arrows bury into the backs of each ogre. They grunt in pain and surprise, slowly turning around to see what brought on this pain. While turning, one of them also receives a good scorching from a pair of Eldritch Blasts and it lets out a pained whine while being hit with the blast but quickly stops once the attack is over. The ogres look up and see Damian and Gallant standing up atop the hill at the side of the road, so they reach back and take their javelins from their holsters.

    You caught them by surprise but we go by initiative now.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollOgre Init - (1d20) [19]

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,860

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamian Init - (1d20+4) (14) [18]

    Question -

    How far away are they from us? (just for spell ranges)
    And does the elevation of the hill offer us anything in the way of cover?
    Last edited by Drew; 03-10-2020 at 09:05 PM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Okay, so first round. Initiative order is Ogres, Damian, & Gallant.

    The ogres each have a pair of javelins, and they are each about to throw one of them. One ogre targets Damian while the other targets Gallant.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollJavelin Attack vs Damian - (1d20+10) (3) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPiercing Damage - (2d8+12) [18]

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollJavelin Attack vs Gallant - (1d20+10) (17) [27]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPiercing Damage - (2d8+12) [25]

  9. Default

    Gallant grunts as the javelin pierces his torso. Ripping it out, his golden eyes glint with rage.
    Last edited by HorseyFatback; 03-11-2020 at 09:29 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,860

    Default

    (ooc - I edited into the first attack that I would have moved to bring my target into the 120ft range. apologies - next time I will make sure of distances before firing. But it does mean that I am slightly separate from Gallant... as only 120ft from the Ogre I attacked - had I realised it I would have moved to do the attack in the first place.)

    Damian - AC16 - HP 59/59

    Seeing that Javelin fly past and the other one hit Gallant so soundly.... Damian is quite sure he does not want to get skewered by one of those. He fires off another 2 beams of Eldritch energy before dropping into a crouch or something similiar so as to make it more difficult for the ogres to target him with any additional Javelins. Already his mind is trying to work out what he will do next.

    ***
    Since i'm on an incline (Per OOC) Damian will attempt to make himself a smaller target if possible. I know its hard to define.. so I guess DM discretion on how/what gets applied.

    Action -

    EB at the same target as before since that is the one that must be in Damian's range.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTo Hit - (1d20+6) (6) [12] for Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d10+3) (1) [4]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollTo Hit - (1d20+6) (7) [13] for Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d10+3) (1) [4]

    Reaction - I hope it doesn't but if the Ogre manages to close to within 60ft - AND successfully does damage to Damian. Then he will cast Hellish Rebuke as a reaction doing Authentic Forum Dice-rollHR - (3d10) (7, 3, 2) [12] fire damage - Dex DC14 save for half.
    If it does damage from outside 60ft then HR does not apply.
    Last edited by Lycanthus; 03-12-2020 at 02:58 AM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •