Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IC for PBP 1E Pathfinder Fantasy Batman

Default IC for PBP 1E Pathfinder Fantasy Batman

CHAPTER 1:
    Who I am
    How I come to be

It’s the 4th of Abadius
    Bruce Wayne returns to Gotham City (using Magnimar as the backdrop) and investigator James Gordon arrives to his new post.

“Maybe it is all I deserve now. Maybe it’s my time in hell.” Gordon stomachs the unsettling decision to move to Gotham, because it’s all that he’s been able to swallow for the past twelve hours and his empty stomach has been trying to eat itself for the past five. Barbara is taking the boat with most of their belongings. He didn’t care how much it costed to have her travel by ship, caravan is no way to travel to Gotham. “At least by ship all you see is the bustling port and the towering walls. Fools you to thinking it’s safe and civilized.”

Bruce looked up from his journal after hearing a brief rapping at his door. “Come in.”

A young lanky boy opened the door.
    “We’re beginning our final progression towards docking in Gotham City. You can go ahead and begin gathering up your belongings in your cabin Mr. Wayne.” The cabin boy announced.

“Thank you Billy. I have something for you.” Bruce hands the cabin boy a silver coin. A silver could easily grant the boy some niceties once on shore without being too obvious as a gold piece which could possibly put the lad in danger. “You’ve been a great help during the voyage. Go and buy yourself a treat once you are able after we dock. I’ll be sure to tell the captain so he doesn’t assume you took it.”

“Wow! Thank you Mr. Wayne!” The boy’s smile stretches across his face as he pockets the coin and sees to the rest of his duties.

Bruce returns to his journal and finishes his entry after glancing out the window towards the massive city growing on the shore. “From here it’s clean shafts of granite and snowy rooftops. The work of men who died generations ago. From here it looks like an achievement.” He takes another look out the window and sees the pillars of the looming Irispan known as the Giants Bridge come into view. “I should have taken the caravan. I should have been closer. I should see the enemy.”

“Barbara has most likely seen the oracle before leaving. I only hate myself a little for hoping the results would mean no child. This is no place to raise a family.” Gordon thought to himself as he trudged through the streets towards the Arvensoar that would most likely be his duty station for the remainder of his career.

Among the crowded and muck filled streets an acolyte of Abadar approaches the the tired and hungry investigator. “Have you heard about the great wisdom of Abadar. Great things flow from the First Vault. The Order of Numbers can help you bring order to your life. For a small donation you can have a copy of your own.”

“No, please...” James begins to reject the acolyte’s offer when he was cut off my another shout from across the road.

“Gordon! Lieutenant James Gordon!”

“Its really a nice book. It’s filled with lots of pictures gaa...” The young acolyte continues to try and meet his quota of books when a thick and meaty hand is shoved in his face.

“Walk skinhead.” The very large halforc clothed in the uniform of the City Guard interposed himself between the two of them. “Name’s Flass, Lieutenant. Detective Flass. Commissioner Loeb sent me to make sure you didn’t miss your appointment with him.”

“They really are nice... koff.. colors”.

“Well I....” Gordon shakes Flass hand. “Persistent li’l guy.”

“Welcome to Gotham, Jimmy. It’s not as bad as it looks. Especially if your a City Guard. Guards got it made in Gotham.

The docks in Gotham are normally crowded, but today they seem to be exponentially congested. Some how the citizens of the metropolitan city of monuments must have received word that Bruce Wayne, Gotham’s first son has returned home. By the looks of it a large number of wealthy citizens seem to have braved the streets and docs to be in attendance and get their own glimpse of Gotham’s most wealthy heir, Bruce Wayne himself.

“Welcome home Mr. Wayne...” The Dock Master greets the wealthy heir.

“How does it feel to be back?” An aristocratic gentleman asked as Wayne passed him on the street.

“...Princes Caroline...” Mention of the heiress of the neighboring country could be over heard among the din of voices.

“...Any plans, Mr. Wayne?” Another aristocrat asks.

“... are there any truths to the rumors?” Yet another noble asks, eager for information so she could spread the latest gossip. Later that day she shares the chatter what she heard that morning to a gathering of other affluent individuals. “The twenty-five-year-old, heir to the Wayne millions declined to comment on any rumors of romance in his life or on his plans on his return to Gotham after twelve years abroad. But I’ll be sure to keep us updated on the latest gossip on Gotham’s richest - and best looking - native son.”

“Thank you, Jackie. I have also heard that following the disappearance of a key witness, assistant District Attorney, Harvey Dent was forced to withdraw conspiracy charges against the City Guard Commissioner, Loeb...” Another aristocratic gossip monger shared.

Meanwhile in the office of Commissioner Gillian Loeb. “You know we are all delighted to have you on the team, Lieutenant.” The elderly Commissioner says as he leans across the massive desk to give his newest team member a welcome handshake.

“You will get my best work sir. I promise.” Gordon replies eager to set a presidency of duty from the start.

“And we are a team. A team needs team spirit, don’t you think?” Loeb leans back in his chair and sorts through the Lieutenant’s file he had received ahead of him from his previous station of Sandpoint. Gordon gives a nod before he continues. “Yes it does. And your record supports your reputation, showing you’ve got what it takes to work here in Gotham.

“I know I’ve made my mistakes sir. I’m grateful for this chance to prove myself...” Gordon replies as he takes out a small pouch and pipe offering his new boss some of his favorite frontier tobacco.

“If there is one thing I can’t stand, it’s smoking.” The Commissioner interjects and Gordon politely replaces the pouch and pipe back into his jacket pocket. “What mistakes have you made, Lieutenant? You have kept the gossip mongers away from it. That’s the bottom line isn’t it?” The head of the City Guard popped a small hard eucalyptus and honey candy in his mouth. “Yes it is.”

“I’ld feel better toughing out the urge if I didn’t have to smell those eucalyptus candies of his.” Gordon thought to himself. “I swear you won’t have to worry about my honesty, Commissioner.”

Loeb leans forward, rests his elbows on his broad oak desk and steeples his hands.
    “That’s the last thing on my mind. Last thing.”

The evening is cool and crisp, the moist air from the bay makes the air feel especially chilled. The coach that the wealthiest Man in Gotham road like a cloud. Not a bump or jolt was felt by the occupant that road inside, only the minor swaying as the coach slowed, stopped or turned. Bruce was able to see the home he left behind years ago on the horizon as the coach approached the Alabaster District. The lengthy yet smooth ride allowed him to once again make another entry into his journal. “Wayne Manor. Built as a fortress , generations past, to protect a fading line of royalty from an age of equals. Mother. Father. It’s good to be back.” The dark coach pulls up to Wayne Manor and comes to a rest. Steam floods off of the horse’s moistened coat. A tall slender man stands erect at attention on the step in his crisp and freshly ironed suit. Bruce exits the carriage and approaches the gentleman and places a firm yet caring hand on his shoulder. “Alfred.”

“I trust you’ve been well Master Bruce.”

_________ __________
    \ (____/\_/\____) /
    \ ___ ___ /
    \( \ ___ ___ / )/
    V \ / V
    \ /

I’m curious to see if anyone would have the interest in playing a fantasy Batman using Pathfinder 1E and Magnimar as the backdrop for Gotham City. If you are a huge Batman fan like I am, you may have noticed that I felt that is was only fitting to use the opening of Batman Year One by Frank Miller as an intro and add my own flare and fantasy Pathfinder twist to it to fit the setting. I really enjoyed the turn of the century Batman in Gotham by Gaslight. I’ve always wanted to play the Caped Crusader in a Pathfinder platform and fantasy setting. I would love to play as Batman but I am fully willing to act as GM and share my vision. If you would be interested in joining me in a dark mystery, and action packed adventure let me know and post your own fantasy short as one of the Gotham villains that you would like to encounter.

If we’re able to get this idea going, I would like to keep things under control by initiating the character builds myself and then you would take them from there.

You will become the greatest crimefighter Golarion has ever known...
    It won’t be easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How has no one jumped at this yet? Yeah, I’d definitely be interested in playing this.

Cool! I’m glad you posted some interest.

How do you feel about the setting (Magnimar) and putting Batman to the Pathfinder mechanics?

When I was reading through the Magnimar setting companion I felt it was a perfect fit. Yet I still wanted to keep the Gotham and character names to eliminate confusion. The Magnimar setting will be Gotham in name only with very tiny minor alterations/additions to get it to fit.

I’m working on a similar fantasy skin for my son’s Arachnid (Spider-Man) character. We got so carried away that we built the entire Avengers team and associated villains. I’m thinking of pitching that one too. What do you think?

Blog Entries

I think Pathfinder is an exceptionally poor system to tell superhero edgelord stories in.
    Other than that, have fun.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Blog Entries

There is a good system for what your after.. I forgot the name thought but Drew knows it as he introduced it to me. (tried to find it but failed )
    It was not to hard to learn after trying a few times.

I know that taking something that already exists and reskinning it as something else takes more work than people realize. It can be worth the effort, though, as it makes all the fluff of the altered product so much better. I, like a lot of people, am predisposed to care more about a setting I'm already very familiar with then a setting I'm just encountering for the first time. Like, why should I give a flip about Magnimar? Gotham, on the other hand, well I'm invested in that one. And, right there, just that one change has made a big difference.

Once I got the hang of DnD5e, I got hooked on its simplicity and I haven't played any Pathfinder since. If there was ever a game concept that could entice me to go back to Pathfinder (which will now probably seem crazy-complicated by comparison), it's this one.

Attempting to do the entire Avengers is a different animal altogether, in my opinion. While I like Marvel even more than DC and would like to see this one become a reality as well, your workload compounds with each additional character and villain you try to work in. I don't know if that one is doable.

Drew, do you know what system Krivak is referring to?

I started TTRPGs with D&D2e and that was nuts, then they flipped the game on its head when they changed to 3e and 3.5. That’s when I really fell in love with the system and advanced as a player as it felt I was in more control over things instead of so many things being up in the wind and situational on how the DM was feeling that day. 3e put a standard on rolls and abilities beyond basic attacks and armor.

Then when D&D moved to 4e and tried to simplify things a bit, I couldn’t seem to stay hooked as I did with 3e. I knew and understood what they were doing and liked it because it became a compromise between the player and DM instead of either taking control. Perhaps it was something else altogether why I left D&D. I’ve only played 5e a couple times but would like to try and play more.

As for Pathfinder 2e I simply have all the materials for 1e and am most familiar with. Yet I’m slowly learning the differences.

With that in mind Drew, you might like that my experience as a veteran TTRPGer and being an individual who loves to learn and experience things has led to my GM style as being more progressive and being a realist when I tell our cooperative story. I include a blend of rules between the two beloved systems while trying to stay as true to realism as I can in a fantasy setting (I’m trying to keep that under control). For instance I prefer the rest rules in D&D to those in Pathfinder which allows the players to swap equipment and spells along with use their HD to heal (my only requirement is with the presence of a first aid kit). Also when leveling up I encourage players to only upgrade what the character has truly been working towards, including leveling. Im also more flexible when players choose to multi-class. They may choose class features and and abilities of either class but must do so on a two thirds/one third basis. Essentially making a new class of their own. These are just a few of my adaptations to the rules. I also try and put more emphasis on the storytelling than on the rolls so I am far from that “murder hobo” GM so when you say “I want to hit the bad guy”, I encourage you to tell us how you do that, as it will not only enhance the story but based on the location and damage could further handicap the enemy. In essence I encourage called attacks but are not necessary. I can fill in the gaps and interpret the rolls for a more exciting encounter.

I’ve been looking into the https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/ class ( https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes-paizo-inc/faceless-enforcer/ seems to fit Batman rather well but still not perfect.and have been trying to come up with a good campaign that a player can take full advantage of its class features. What better setting than the legendary Batman in the City of Monuments. I’m hoping to put together a campaign that plays homage to all of my favorite stories and villains like; Knight Fall, Hush, The Killing Joke, and the Court of Owls, Joker, Two Face, The Riddler, Penguin, Poison Ivy and Bane all while adding my own to the mix.

I chose Magnimar as a stand in for Gotham not only because of its close similarity but also because I don’t have to build my own Gotham from the ground up, all that work has been done already. It also adds material for the player to more easily familiarize themselves with the setting.

I’m glad you’re willing to take a chance and go outside your comfort area and potentially join me on this adventure. I’ll be able to help guid you through rules and character advancement by giving some recommendations.

Let me know if this is something you would really like to do or if you were just showing a thumbs up and like the idea.

8. Default

Batman is just a man with a high intellect/wisdom and lots of money for toys. The Robin or Gordon figure might interest me.
    Last edited by mdh; 09-06-2019 at 12:13 AM.

I'd need a little more info from Krivak to narrow down which one he's thinking of. From your description, your GM style sounds great. I think Magnimar was a good choice. I'm showing a thumbs up because I like the idea, but it's also something I'd like to do, especially if you're willing to help your players get (re)acquainted with the system.

Here, I found these to be good reads.
    https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2o4ur?L...-in-Pathfinder
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Pathfinder/...lay_as_batman/

Blog Entries

The Street fighter game you hosted before, the early stage. I totally forgot what it is. But as batman usally fight alot of enemy's pathfinder might be hard solo.

If you want someone to play villian i'm toally up for helping you with that part btw!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast