Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Chapter 60 OOC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Scymon View Post
    ** by poison a dog I mean you give it a form of poison that the worm will find bad.... but you still don't want to overdose the dog either. So it becomes about "dosage"
    So what kind of natural poison would possibly work?
    The heart is fed by blood, which has a pretty consistent pH of about 7.35 to 7.45. So maybe something that could change that would have an effect?
    I know this is metagaming using modern medical knowledge, so it's probably ridiculous, but I'm just spitballing for fun.

Water loss can increase pH. Ex: sweating, vomiting, diarrhea, or maybe even leeches, all of which could have been used in ancient medical practices or were associated with illnesses.
    Kidney problems can raise pH.
    Certain natural acids can lower pH.
    Diabetes can affect pH, too.

So maybe something like ingesting vinegar would be a natural solution to certain parasites that we could try to make the blood more acidic and unsuitable.
    Or leeches and a hot sauna to increase pH.

And there's also the suggestion of poisons. That might work, too. Maybe this could be attempted by someone with a decent medical score and poisoners kit proficiency, or two people combining those skills. I'm not really sure what kind of thing would work. I know copper has been shown to have medicinal properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Scymon View Post
    Im guessing this worm larva is just that ... like a caterpillar. It does not care which "heart" its munching on to grow... its just where it was laid.

So it hatches... munches... until finally its own instincts (or increased body size) simply force it to munch its way out.... leaving the host dead in the process. So I doubt tempting it with a horse would work... because its just a mindless larva with only a limited parameter to life... which is to eat and grow.

This is why I wondered if Poison would kill it. You effectively poison a dog to kill a heartworm. Otherwise ... DM... Do doctors and surgeons exist in Chaldera? could we take him to one and just get an operation done. If it succeeds ... its done... if not... well... there is always raise dead :P

** by poison a dog I mean you give it a form of poison that the worm will find bad.... but you still don't want to overdose the dog either. So it becomes about "dosage"
    Yes, so essentially we need to develop some kind of heart worm medication. Except heart worms don't burst through the chest of the dog like Alien. While this could conceptually work, we're not exactly a team of top scientists with a lab and such. The good news is that we could get this right. The bad news is that it could take a few years, and Cormack will likely be long (re)-dead by then. But future generations of people infected by purple worm larva will thank him for his contribution to science. We'll call it the Mack Attack or something in his honor.

In all seriousness, even if we find a poison that works quickly to kill the worm without killing Cormack... it's still in his body. And we won't know for sure that it's dead. I don't see any alternative option but surgery essentially to verify that it's dead and gone. Otherwise, how do you know that it's dead for sure, and I don't think he wants a dead (or live) worm in him.

So, as much as I really like the poison idea conceptually, I think Cormack's going under the knife. Honestly, feign death reads as a pretty good spell surgery.
    Last edited by zebsen; 12-05-2019 at 01:39 PM.

3. Default

I was actually going to suggest feign death surgery.

So are we suggesting by passing the commune and divination and go straight to surgery and have raise dead ready?

Good ideas if the three questions were three castings.

The idea was not three divinations but one. The question is will all of those actions as a whole result in "alive and good health". The answer "yes" or "no" is to the triad of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by ifreedman View Post
    Going to respond OOC because I think it'll save confusion.

Re: divination Q #2, I don't think this is specific enough. Whether he lives or dies has a lot to do with other details IMO (ex: what we do after we cut open his chest, etc.) Maybe add something about healing him with magical healing?

Divination Q#3. Again, might want more detail. How would we treat his body? How much time?

Commune #1 -- crucial for what? Not exactly sure what you're trying to ask with this.
    Not really sure about Qs 2 & 3.

Blog Entries

OK, gotacha. You're right then.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567