Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Chapter 59: A Welcomed Rest

Blog Entries

"Nah, I don't think they'll be heroes. I hope not, anyway. I feel like I've been trying to do the hero thing myself, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up in the grave by the time I turn 24. But these little ones could be the one thing that make my sacrifice worthwhile. So, yeah, they seem pretty special to me, and I want them to know they're special enough to be worth the sacrifice. They were brought to us for a reason, you have to know that, Zavros," Walden says.

2. Default

Zavros points a finger at Walden, “Don’t force destiny upon them.”

Blog Entries

"I'm not forcing destiny on them," Walden says with a sigh. "They are who they are. They will become who they will become. I'm just saying that something stepped in to save their lives, to deliver them to us. I'm not sure what that was or why. I'm not sure what their future holds. I'm just saying that they are special. Everyone is special, really, if you think about it. But they are special to us in a way that most strangers are not."

4. Default

Nearly at the point of being kicked out of the Crossed Forks Inn, the group decides to leave forthwith. With babies in tow, most of the group heads over to the chapel of Bramsun to find it was just closing up, but Father Ashwell stops and lets the group back in to gather their goods. To Ivar he gives the wooden ball puzzle and says, "I think it's devoid of glue now, but I'm unsure as how to open it up, that'll be up to you."

As the chapel group finishes up, so too does Sully at the Bank of Brightwater--having paid off his parents debts in full. From there he tells Axar, who is nearby, that he is going to inform his parents of the cancellation of debt and to broach the subject of taking on the Duergar baby. It's not much longer that Axar has to wait--watching the coming and goings of a few of the Loewin, who give him both a friendly nod and also a look of suspicion, when the group and Sully return to the village center. Sully's parents were a definite no-go, explaining Sully had been a handful when he was younger and they had their fill of raising a baby. That, and with the debt paid off, Sully's father was thinking of taking out another loan to buy that extra 40 acres--that would be a feather in his cap.

Deciding that Jasrel was their destination, they set off for the half day journey, leaving Brightwater behind. When they reached the west gate, there was again nearly no activity at the gate and it was sparsely manned. Once inside, Hildegard headed off with the human baby to the temple of Ceara, and Ivar to the orphanage with the duergar baby.

Hildegard was greeted warmly and the baby--whom the Head Priestess named, Hilda, after Hildegard, was brought into the temple, bathed and fed. It would be many hours before the priestess of Ceara was allowed to leave the temple--but not before she was given a gift. "I won this trident in fair combat with a Sahuagin priestess in my youth. I am now more administrator than warrior, so I give it to you fair Hildegard."

At the orphanage, Ivar put on his best face and it was needed. The idea of taking in a duergar baby was not fondly received, but after Ivar's persuasive words and the donation of 750gp--which was desperately needed, Sister Mary the Contrite, took in the child without smacking Ivar on the backs of his hands for good measure, well, just because.

Later that day the group met up once more, after doing a bit of shopping, checking on their businesses and what not, convening at the the Cock and Crow Tavern to drink and relax the rest of the night.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789