Page 51 of 189 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 12: OOC

Reposting modified initiative rules that I put earlier with some bold/emphasis.

I'm trying to make individual init relevant and still allow posting order to be the acting order. So, since Rian posted before Brandon, Rian moves before him despite Brandon having a higher initiative. Thinking of it another way, your initiative roll only means something vs. monster initiative on the first round. Do you act before him or after him? It doesn't matter relative to other players. You either beat the monsters and act before them, or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    Regarding initiative. Right now, we're using a group average init.

Let me throw out another alternate option for consideration. I roll one init for all monsters. All players roll individual init. Those that beat monster init move before the monster in any posting order. Those that lose init don't act before the monsters.

Here is an example of what I mean:
    Init called for. Rolls are:
    Rian 20
    Vort 19
    Kal 5
    Brandon 10
    Hrothgar 1 cause we all know this how the dice server thinks for Janine
    Monsters 8

In the above example, Rian Vort and Brandon can post in the order that they post, not the order of their initiative. Then the monsters act. Then everyone (all 5 players) start round 2 in the order that they post.

The main advantage to this is for classes that get bonuses to init and stuff, it is still meaningful. Barbarians get advantage on init at level 7. I'm sure others get bonuses as well.

Thoughts?

I Brandon doesn't post by the end of the day, I'll let someone else post for him for a turn.

I rolled his save. If he had failed that by more than 5, it would have been bad.
    Last edited by zebsen; 12-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.

If someone wants to post for Brandon, please do so.

4. Default

I had him cast Web. See posted turn. I hope everything is fine with Hideous and he is just super busy.

If someone wants to post for Brandon, please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    I had him cast Web. See posted turn. I hope everything is fine with Hideous and he is just super busy.
    I don't see any issues with shooting through a web spell. Here is what I see unless I'm missing something:

You conjure a mass of thick, sticky webbing at a point of your choice within range. The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the Duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area.

In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...ss-through-web

6. Default

Yup, even thought it's harder to see your opponent, it makes no adjustments to ranged attacks--which is very counter-intuitive.

I don't see any issues with shooting through a web spell. Here is what I see unless I'm missing something:

You conjure a mass of thick, sticky webbing at a point of your choice within range. The webs fill a 20-foot cube from that point for the Duration. The webs are difficult terrain and lightly obscure their area.

In a lightly obscured area, such as dim light, patchy fog, or moderate foliage, creatures have disadvantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on sight.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...ss-through-web

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    Yup, even thought it's harder to see your opponent, it makes no adjustments to ranged attacks--which is very counter-intuitive.
    I can't tell exactly what the creators were thinking but a lot of these ruling that make you scratch your head are likely related to balance. If it blocked vision, why would anyone cast darkness, which is also a second level spell? Blocking vision plus holding someone is far superior to just blocking vision. At least that's my simplistic view.

Working on the turn now.

I misread the location of the web spell earlier, and now that I'm doing the turn, it is obvious that it can't be cast in the cell that Wes stated. I described the room earlier, but it's consistent with the one in the other tower. The room is circular. Inside the large ~100' diameter room is a second walled in room which is where the divinations are performed. There is enough trash piled up, that you can barely see the wall in gray that is surrounding the pentagram. 6781 is about the furthest you could see to the south. 6576 is about the furthest you could see to the north. I was using the northern location before I realized my error.

6480 is inside walled off room.

Please let me know where you want this.
    Last edited by zebsen; 12-09-2019 at 09:07 PM.

9. Default

Use cell 6577.

I misread the location of the web spell earlier, and now that I'm doing the turn, it is obvious that it can't be cast in the cell that Wes stated. I described the room earlier, but it's consistent with the one in the other tower. The room is circular. Inside the large ~100' diameter room is a second walled in room which is where the divinations are performed. There is enough trash piled up, that you can barely see the wall in gray that is surrounding the pentagram. 6781 is about the furthest you could see to the south. 6576 is about the furthest you could see to the north. I was using the northern location before I realized my error.

6480 is inside walled off room.

Please let me know where you want this.

FYI, I placed the mind flayer on the map to show you the direction he retreated, but he is not visible.