Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: [IC] Act III - Blood in Snow

The cleric shakes her head, as if to shrug off a reverie she couldn't quite emerge from.

"Of...of course. Yes, of course. I am needed...as is my god. Lead on, Damian; I'm right behind you!"

Yuenni sure hopes she sounds more confident than she feels, but regardless, her feet move one in front of the other toward trouble.

2. Default

Gallant immediately jumps to his feet, unsheathing the silvered greatsword. He holds the door for anyone exiting behind him, peering into the night outside.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollGallant Perception - (1d20+2) (2) [4]

About 60 yards down the street, in a dim pool of lantern light, you see the beast - a massive werewolf, easily as tall as a standing grizzly bear. Its fur glistens with frozen spikes of blood as it bends down and arches fiendishly over its latest prey. Two bodies lie quivering in the red-speckled snow beneath the beast. The wolf's meaty jaws scissor mercilessly and its knife-like teeth slash into the bodies. Even over the wail of the wind you can hear its slaverous gulping.

"Fell creatuuure!!" Dante screams at the beast, picking up a lantern from its hook near the inn's door. "Leave this place!!"

With surprising strength and accuracy, he hurls the lantern in a perfect arc all the way to the werewolf, where it hits and pours a small explosion of fire down the beast's back. It reacts as though the experience were briefly painful, but its species' known immunity to most forms of damage sees the flames burn out fairly quickly, and the burnt fur regrows back into place almost immediately.

The beast drops to all fours as its body twists and contorts, changing into a form more resembling a worg but still bigger than a large bear. The hackles on its back stand up and it raises its dripping muzzle, pinning all of you with its glowing eyes.

"L-Loup ... garou," Dante whispers with a trembling breath.

The wolf sniffs the wind, turns, and dashes away into the darkness.

(OOC: We have our silvered weapons, right? Assuming so...)

Yuenni was shocked into action. No time for fear and horror now; instinct and basic goodness took over.

"After it!" the cleric cried, running after the werewolf as fast as her armor would allow.

Damian watches in horror as Yuenni takes off in the direction that foul beast ran off in.

"Wait... Yuenni!" He yells in her direction before turning to grab Dante by the upper arms. Giving the man a quick shake he says:

"A Loup Garou! Gods damn it Dante ... you don't just have a Werewolf problem!" his voice is strong with sarcasm and anger. "Do you believe we are not this thing now? Help us. Get your townsfolk to help us. Arm them. With silver if you can, but any weapons are better than none. Convince them to band together in some kind of posse... and let us all together, hunt that thing down! Tonight... while the trail is fresh.

He then runs after Yuenni - his speed means he passes her easily, stopping about where the bodies are lying, still steaming in the snow. While he doubts they can be helped. He still takes a moment to check them out. Looking to see if he recognizes them at all.... even in their mutilated states.

As Yuenni draws near, he says:

"Yuenni - gods damn it woman. I admire your.... courage. But don't run off like that again... not against this thing... We need numbers.... and the people here need to work together in order to survive".
    Corn can’t expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

(OOC: Yes, the only person who does not have a silvered weapon yet is the captain.)

People who came out to investigate the noise are all running screaming back toward their homes. Dante is in some form of shock. The light from the full moon reflects off of his eyes in a very strange way. "...Futile..." is all he can manage to say before Damian gives up on him to chase after Yeunni. The bodies in the snow are already lifeless shells. It is the surveyor couple who were staying at the inn. The beast is fast. Its tracks are far apart. It becomes obvious that no human could keep up with it in a footrace. The tracks head straight for the treeline of the woods and disappear between the trees. Entering the dark woods to try and continue following the tracks feels like a bad idea.

Not knowing how else to proceed, everyone regroups at the inn to try and make a plan. Dante sits in his chair with his eyes closed and a hand on his pale forehead, deep in thought. No one is speaking. Several sudden raps at the door startles nearly everyone. It's Wilhelm. He has finished Captain Alec's warhammer and he's bringing it by before heading home to pass out from exhaustion. He was working so hard and so noisily in his shop that he wasn't even aware of what was happening outside. After he tries to leave, Dante volunteers to carry the weapon up to the captain's room and set it outside his door.

It's just the three of you now, the only sound the crackling of the fire.

"Wilhelm... don't walk anywhere, take my room.. I doubt i'm moving away from this fireplace all night....For you to walk alone with that beast about is suicide."

If Damian sounds defeated ... its probably true. He can't for the life of him work out how to trap such a canny creature. He still has the net from the earlier trap... but this things attacks are so random... and the only thing that they could honestly use as bait is one of the party.

"I meant what I said outside. We need to get the townsfolk to work together .... or they will all die..... Loup garou.." He shudders "That means we could be looking at ..potentially a minimum of three beasts. The parents and that off-spring from hell..... and I don't like how its affected Dante" He watches the Innkeeper every chance he can. Especially when he touches the Captain's weapon. "In the morning... we need to go check out that Barn.... the one you two followed the tracks to originally. I guess we see if we can perhaps lay a trap there for it." He shrugs. Wishing very much that someone else had an idea that would not get them all killed. His instincts keep gnawing at him... that something does not feel right. But he cannot quite put a finger on it.

"What is this Loup Garou and how is it worse than what we already knew of, Damian?" Yuenni asks in a soft voice, her eyes remaining on the crackling fire.

"Based on my research when I was younger.... they aren't bitten.... they're born werewolves. That makes them bigger, nastier, hungrier than ordinary werewolves. It also means that you can't save them by removing their curse like you can if say one of us was bitten. Their howls are enough to frighten hardened warriors and they do something with those burning red eyes that can force other werewolves to flock to it like moths to a flame."

He looks around before continuing.

"My friend, the old man from the village who was once a wolf but cured of the curse, told me that because he embraced his curse he controlled it. He would hunt only animals, but one time he came to a village where a Loup garou was feeding. The things that he was compelled to do, shamed him for the rest of his life and is what forced him to seek out the removal of the curse".

"Now none of us have been bitten ... so we should be safe from its compulsion. But we will need to either render ourselves deaf, or silence it if we fight it. Have you any spells that might aid in that? And know that i'm not above sticking wax in my ears to block the sound if that's the only way as well. Then all we would need to do... is not get bitten... or dead."

[1 point of Inspiration to Damian for being so knowledgeable on the subject and taking charge to form a plan.]

Wilhelm understands the risks but refuses to stay here tonight. His wife is alone at their house and he absolutely plans to be there to defend her tonight if need be.

Dante picks up the hammer by its steel handle and carries it with one hand, the head of the hammer hanging down and lazily swinging back and forth like the pendulum of a grandfather clock as the innkeeper heads up the staircase.

"It's futile, you know," Dante says when he reappears after a few minutes, the hammer no longer with him. "Loup garou cannot be defeated. They are a scourge. We should all just try to rest while we can, and in the morning make plans to leave town. No one is any safer during the day than they are at night."

Whether you argue with Dante or not, his mind is made up on the subject. Whether you stay up or sleep, the night is blessedly uneventful. In the morning, Dante is gone and Greeves is back, making breakfast. The captain sleeps in and is not present yet.

Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast