Thread: [IC] Poker Night Character Challenge

Default [IC] Poker Night Character Challenge

We've all been there: that character who never saw the light of play despite having been designed with blood, sweat, and tears until she was a fully fleshed out, three-dimensional creation complete both within regards to story and party composition.

I've set out to prepare a character challenge for all of you guys that love making characters and showing off your roleplaying/build chops. To that end, I'm going to be using a 'Poker Night' theme where there are four suits, one for each category of setting/game, and within those suits four cards representing awards based on excellent characters submitted by the people of TTW and judged by yours truly. As a prize, I will create APs based on the characters chosen, to be guaranteed NPC roles. I'm always up to read good characters and I've seen a ton in my time here, so I'm excited for this.

Suits Genre Associated Systems
    Spades Fantasy D&D, Pendragon, Pathfinder, Barbarians of Lemuria, Burning Wheel, GURPS, Mouse Guard, Pugmire, 13th Age, however have you. If it involves swords (sorcery optional) and isn't set in the modern era/far future, it counts.
    Diamonds Sci-Fi Star Wars games of all stripes, Starfinder, Shadowrun, Traveler, GURPS, What's OLD is NEW, et cetera. It's gotta be cutting edge, even if it isn't faster than light.
    Clubs Modern/Horror World of Darkness, PbtA, D20 Modern, Call of Cthulu, Shadowrun, Unknown Armies, Violence: The Role-Playing Game, GURPS, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, Shotgun Diaries, and the list goes on. Set in the modern era or close to it. Doesn't need to be horror, but it should be a compelling game.
    Hearts Supers/Anything Goes Marvel Heroic, Mutants and Masterminds, Risus, FATE, Champions, Ryuutama, Big Eyes Small Mouth, Everyone is John, OVA, Tokyo Heroes, Masks, Wild Talents, Freeform... Pretty much everything else.

There will be one face card award for each suit, while the jokers are taken from the submissions as a whole and have two types- one black, and one red.
    Card Category Award Description
    Ace Best All Around Characters that also meet one or more of the following categories but also go above and beyond
    King Best Mechanically Constructed Either for creative use of mechanics, representing a character through mechanics, or enabling both optimization and roleplaying.
    Queen Best Roleplaying Potential If you ever had a character with a five-page backstory, here's your chance to show it can be done well.
    Jack Best Teammate As supports often aren't given enough credit, this is an award for characters that work with others and help them shine too.
    Joker (Black) Editor's Choice I will select a character I enjoy in particular from any category. This isn't necessarily a 'best character evah' statement, just a personal pick.
    _Joker_ (Red) Crowd's Choice I'm not the only one with an eye for quality. DMs and players alike, point out some excellent characters and I'll bring one up to be celebrated.

This gives a total of four adventure paths, each containing five dungeons with five rooms apiece. Every Ace and face card will be guaranteed a place in the path associated with their suit as an NPC, though some traits may be altered for the sake of compatibility with one another and an AP setting. Jokers will be placed in one or more adventure paths, depending on their nature.

This thread is for garnering interest before I go too far with things. How many people would actually be interested in competing in such a challenge? Are there any specific rules or other interests that would make things easier? One thing I thought would come up was the issue of building a character for no game in particular, so if it makes things easier, I will present a prompt and setting features in the same way that one would present a pitch for a game.
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 09-15-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising

Blog Entries

I'm in. I'm very interested!

Blog Entries

What level (or level equivalent) are you considering?

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar QZR View Post
    I'm in. I'm very interested!
    Good to hear! I look forward to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by LakethePondling View Post
    What level (or level equivalent) are you considering?
    Honestly, I think D&D levels 1-13 focusing on levels 3-9 would be the best construction-wise, to allow for some of the higher-gated abilities but not including truly worldbreaking powers. I'll give some hasty and probably inaccurate equivalents in non-D&D systems. I'm going to label these equivalents as [Low/Medium/High].

D&D (3.5, 5e) and Pathfinder: Level [1/3-9/13+]
    GURPS: [100/150/300+] points with as much as half as many points worth of disadvantages for extra build points
    Mutants and Masterminds: Power Level [8/10/14]
    Pendragon: Age [18/21-25/30-35]
    Genesys: [80/100-150/200+] XP
    Barbarians of Lemuria: [0/2-5/8] Advancement Points

Sadiyah
    :

I'm going to be leaving this interest check up until the two-week notice (the 30th), to hold out in case more interest arrives.

Sadiyah
    :

Blog Entries

Hildegard of Ragesia

(Placing this here. I will expand later!^^)

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar QZR View Post
    Hildegard of Ragesia

(Placing this here. I will expand later!^^)
    This is indeed the sort of thing I'm looking for. If there's more interest, I'll put up a request for forum.
    If it helps everyone else, I'll create a character of my own. Unfortunately, though, it seems we're at our time limit for now. Thank you, Alacazar, for your submission. I'll try to make something for it. PM me about what you had in mind.
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 10-01-2019 at 12:56 AM.

Sadiyah
    :