Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Act 4, Scene 2- Principle and Principal

Blog Entries

I agree with your entire first statement, except for the fact that you can't stop someone for doing something wrong BEFORE they have actually done it. But I'm hoping your enthusiasm kinda got away from you there.
    As for responsibility, you're wrong.
    You are not the one that gets to bestow responsibility upon someone, anyone else. If they don't want it, they don't have to bear it.
    People have the right to be selfish asshats. It's just that simple. You want to minimize this? Teach ethics, teach empathy, teach morals in public schools; but again that's really up to the politicians to decide so good luck with that. As for the school you want to found... I'm willing to help out though I myself am officially still in school and I have two doctoral thesises to finish.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Blog Entries

Enfield inhales sharply, having observed the conversation. "Call it a 'draft,'" he says. "Selective service. We've had it in the past. Everyone over a certain age was subject to it. There wasn't much need for it when Supreme held the promise of single-handedly stopping a foreign invasion in its tracks, but it would be a useful way to rally the nation. Human and metahuman alike will have to register at adulthood, to be called upon in times of crisis. Metahumans will have to describe their abilities. And it will be every citizen's obligation to keep their registered address current. Punishable by a fine, say." He looks around the group gathered. "It serves a dual purpose. First, it gives us the ability to call upon an army of metahumans, should the need arise, either because Haulia has decided they want to invade again, or someone else." He looks up to the sky briefly. "Second, it's an early warning system. A registrant's powers pose a threat to public safety, the government, or Mentor's anonymous… 'X' men can intervene to provide guidance and protection. Check in from time to time."

He looks to Mentor, "A school for gifted youngsters makes sense. But it should be free for families—metahuman children who are at risk of trouble are likely to be at risk of poverty, as well. We're going to need either public funding or a private benefactor we can trust."
    Last edited by theScrappy; 08-19-2019 at 09:54 PM.

Blog Entries

Hm... That's something to think about. Let's see. How about...
    Hell no.
    Didn't you hear anything I just said? No registration unless completely voluntary.
    Characters:

Campaigns:

Blog Entries

"I heard you fine," Enfield says in an annoyed tone, looking at Forcefox, "I just disagreed. You're not the only one with principles, here. There are scary things out there, things worse than Supreme, and we will need all hands on deck to deal with them. Mobilization will be key, and to do that, we need to know who we have on-planet, where they are, and whether they can be counted on in a fight."

Blog Entries

It sounds like I AM exactly the only one with principles. What you describe is an ends-justify-the-means rationale. And that never ever turn out well.
    You say there are worse things than Supreme and that they're coming. Fine, we'll face them head on and those that wish to will rise up and stand beside us. But those that don't want to for whatever reason don't have to. You can't obligate them, unless you start a conscription or a draft that is completely random and in no way concentrated on listed supers that can be sacrificed for the good of the pure non-freak people. Yeah I said it, I know that's not what you meant, but it's what it is.
    Now, if I'm getting on your nerves maybe don't make me repeat this time and time again.
    Characters:

Campaigns:

Blog Entries

"I hear you," Enfield says, stone-faced. "A lottery is fair, I agree, and if we need twenty metahumans to handle a threat, we can conscript as many humans through that lottery as it takes to get twenty metahumans. This isn't slavery, this is society. If you want a civilization, not everybody can be doing everything they want at any given time. We all sacrifice."

Blog Entries

"It sounds to me like we have few different issues in play here." Perseus says. "First of all, we make a few rulings that are common sense and avoid civil right infringements. Such as getting a card like a drivers license after going through the schooling. That way people know what the individual is capable of, that they can be trusted to handle themselves in a civilized way, and they wont use their powers without a reason. Maybe have things like different classes of license- one for physical powers, one for mental, one for magical and so on. It wouldn't necessarily show all their abilities, but at least it would give people a heads up. For example if they got pulled over for a speeding ticket and the driver accidentally sneezed fire."

"I somewhat agree with Mentor's side on the preventative maintenance here. It seems like a bad thing to be monitoring people all the time, but if there was a chance for a crazy meta with mind powers to take over a town and no one knew about it, our credibility would be shot and the public opinion would never recover. So maybe we could have global, general censors for large amounts of activity, or something like that. Not enough to know all the details but something that could give us a heads up in case we were needed. About the responsibility thing, its less clear cut. Forcing everyone into a system to solve other's problems in like pulling the pin on a grenade, shoving it down your pants and hoping it doesn't explode. Its only a matter of time. No one has a responsibility on that front to anyone else unless they want to. If they want to go off into the woods and live off the land for a few years, no problem. I don't care."

"And last thing....I think. Enfield's selective service idea is awesome. If you live in a country, you have a duty to defend it. No ifs, ands or buts about it. You can't get all the benefits then whine its unfair when the country is threatened and you are called on to stop everyone getting killed. Same thing applies to Supreme level threats. If you have powers, then yes I support your ass getting drafted because one more person might be the difference between us winning and everyone getting enslaved. Really, its an end of warfare as we know it. We're going from massive armies of similar people to small,highly destructive, powerful groups of commandos. You can throw a billion normal people at Forcefox or Max, and all that'll happen is a billion people stuck in a blender of fists. It just doesn't work. the power levels are just too huge. Same thing with lower level supers. You can get as many street level vigilantes as you want, their all going to get cremated against one stronger opponent. Personally, I think the world will go into another Cold War. And that great, because that means any aliens or whatever trying to attack us will get a fully fortified planet instead of a few random cities with badly trained people."

He stops and stares at the ceiling for a second before bringing his gaze back down.

"Oh yeah, and we need something for super powered crimes. Like arrest for super strong bank robbers, but life imprisonment at least for mind controlling someone to kill someone else.
    I think that's everything."

“Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

—The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

Blog Entries

A fair lottery is something I can agree with.
    As for monitoring you're just going to have to rely on local police forces. Why? For the same reason that your last argument holds no water whatsoever:
    Black Falcon, Blue Sparrow, Sharpshooter.
    Just three examples of ordinary humans using training, dedication and tech to go toe to toe with metahumans and aliens.
    So your detection wouldn't work and it's obvious that humans aren't so feeble as you assume.
    Look, if you want to be so ready just implement a mandatory military service of one year at 18. It'll make sure everyone has basic training and even the supers that didn't go to our school can get some pointers.
    Characters:

Campaigns:

In response to the last mention, Mentor perks up. "Well, Sharpshooter is technically a mutant too: he has superior-to-baseline vision, depth perception, and coordination- he can calculate firing solutions in his head and then execute them. Black Falcon and Blue Sparrow I'll give you. And Lady-" He looks at Liberty has a realization. "Universal selective service with the injection Lady Liberty used, once we can recreate it and be sure that it works. In the worst case scenario, we have a less significant difference between the average Joe and someone like Max."

Liberty rolls her eyes. "It's a nice thought, but I think we need to work on things one step at a time. What about using drivers' licenses for the lottery draft Enfield brought up? If we do that, then all we have to 'monitor' is things that everyone already needs to keep track of anyways, like the ability to drive, blood type, and who owns what."

Max pales. "You... You're not seriously suggesting we hand over superheroic registration to the DMV, are you?"

"It's a simple enough idea: If you drive, then you also get put in the draft lottery. If you get put in the draft lottery, then you might get picked. If you get picked, you need to submit for testing. With rewards for volunteering. After all, if you have some unusual ability, it might be useful in rebuilding, and even without that, we need every hand on deck we can find. Nobody submits to more privacy violation than they would normally undergo, and people are rewarded for coming forward with their abilities. In an emergency, we have our team and can scramble another once we've gathered enough recruits. Some ex-Regime soldiers are also equipped to handle metahumans, so winning them over might be a good idea."

She lets the idea hang, and Mentor seems agreeable to it. "And we can set up that school in the background to handle people who need training. Similar principles. If you go to a public school, you get tested for powers. I doubt a twelve-year-old is going to pass up a chance to train to be a superhero if they can, so that leaves the parents to convince and protection to create."

Doom Pool: 1d8
    Scene Distinctions: Taking Sides, Rights and Responsibilities, Heroism Defined
    Next Up: Everyone
    Opportunities:0
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 08-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising

Blog Entries

Enfield smiles. "You'll want to finesse that in especially rural and religious areas," he warns Mentor. "Folks get pretty protective about their kids. But this is a good proposal. Unless our walking moral compass objects…?" He looks to Forcefox and indicates that she should speak her mind, as if she needed the prompt.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast