Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 53

Thread: Act 4, Scene 2- Principle and Principal

  1. #1

    Default Act 4, Scene 2- Principle and Principal

    The previous fight's cleanup takes a bit of time- more than one day, in fact, to secure the area and treat various ails. The shock jocks continue to bother you, but eventually leave after they realize they're not getting any more hot footage. Enough time passes and you're able to commandeer abandoned rooms from a nearby hotel without issue. The next day, Max shows up with both of the younger Force members and a new attache- a carrot-topped teenager dressed in an armored yellow acrobatics suit. "If we're using alter-egos, I'm Equal Force, at your service. I was going to called Momentous Force, the third member of a Max-Mentor-Momentous trilogy, but was put in stasis after my 'older brothers' fled. You guys freed me when Supreme died." She waves to Forcefox as if they are familiar, tipping her off that this is Echo playing older sister to the two recent orphans. Max doesn't seem too keen on this, but he is uneasy about how to breach the topic. Gale and Nuclear seem on board with it, at least, the former clearing away areas with wind and rain, while the latter uses limited transmutation to repair small shattered objects to a whole state.

    This prompts a thought from Mentor. "The General's approach is wrong, but he had something approaching a point. People, especially young people, are appearing all over the world with strange powers prompted by shock and trauma- and what could be more traumatic than your whole world breaking into pieces in front of you? That's what happened here." He looks at Nuclear's ability to put a lightbulb back in functioning order with rapt attention. "We need to find these people and bring them into an environment where they can learn to use their abilities safely and within proper bounds. An academy for the gifted, if you will."

    Normally, Doomsayer would provide the pessimism, but Max steps up instead. "You can count me out. Get everything in working order? Make things super-proof? Change laws to fit strange powers? Sure. But I'm not telling anyone else how they should live their life just because they happen to be able to shoot lightning from their fingers."

    "That's not what I'm suggesting," Mentor clarifies. "If they don't know how to use their powers, the results could be catastrophic, even tragic. It's training and education. Not some kind of war machine or superhero factory."

    "Not now, maybe," he jabs a thumb into his own chest. "But suppose, after everything's cleaned up and the government's online, I decided to change my hair color and name and start a martial arts dojo- not a metahuman dojo, just a place where kids can learn karate or whatever. Don't I have the right to do that?" He holds out his hand. "But I know what everyone else is gonna say- that's selfish, isn't it? To ask to live in peace and quiet while countless people could benefit from my abilities. That's how I see this. Are you going to train kids to do things you wouldn't ask of any adult, just because they can?"
    The more Max talks, the louder and angrier he gets. "What does that make you?"

    The question hangs in the air, and it's up to each of you to answer it. Mentor, for his part, is puzzling over the question. People are becoming uneasy, especially Equal.

    This is an Action Scene, but the conflict is (at least initially) verbal in tone. The stakes as set are pretty high, so the Doom Pool will begin with 2D8.

    Doom Pool: 2D8
    Scene Distinctions: Taking Sides, Rights and Responsibilities, Heroism Defined
    Next Up: Everyone
    Opportunities: 0

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


  2. #2

    Default

    Dorian gave a long sigh. This was not an easy argument to answer... Max had a good point, but at the same time, the world was already on the verge of chaos thanks to supers being unchecked. This was, in part, due to them defeating Supreme Force. It was their responsibility to set things straight. Oddly enough, he's one of the first to speak up. "We can't just do nothing about the issue," He begins. "That's how we get people like Silence: people who fall through the cracks, and are taught to use their abilities for selfish gain or worse: to use their abilities to blend into the populace and try to control and manipulate them to cause chaos."

    He shakes his head. "We need to, at the very least, know who these people are... the most dangerous supers aren't the ones with things like super strength or amazing physical abilities, but the ones who can warp realities and minds, the ones who can turn a crowd with but a single word, and then set the land ablaze with another... People like myself. Would you really be comfortable with someone like me running amok, raising the dead and spirits to complete my own goals? Most of the populace isn't comfortable with me in the first place, despite my good deeds."



    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None
    Last edited by DonJentleman; 08-11-2019 at 03:07 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,307
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Hold on hold on. First off, Mentor is talking about a school Max. A voluntary place of education. How much easier is it if everyone with extraordinary abilities has a Vlad to teach them to control their powers? I know I wrecked my fair share of things before I got a semblance of control. A school would have been pretty nice. But if people don't want to go there, that's fine too. As for you Spirit... Forcefox switches her wrist computer to project the declaration of human rights on a wall as showpiece, big as can be. I don't care what your argument for it is, any compromise to basic human rights of anyone, by anyone, will find me as it's unyielding opposition. And yes, forced registration of so called supers is a violation of their basic freedoms. Which includes the right to privacy and anonymity and the right to be a bitch. You want as a private citizen track other private citizens you can do that within the confines of the law. But anything further and more organized than that and we shouldn't have killed Supreme. Forcefox declares as she folds her arms across her chest.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,456
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Perseus watches and thinks while everyone else presents their arguments. He nods to himself and then starts to talk.
    "How about a compromise? We can have something like public and private schools in place. For those who are ok with going to a public place to learn about their powers, great- we can easily make something like that. At the same time, what about having extra supers going around to independent supers and offering to teach them how to control their powers? I don't think anyone will be so against any kind of teaching that they'll want to randomly emit electricity for the rest of their lives, for example. "



    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    Dorian gave a long sigh. This was not an easy argument to answer... Max had a good point, but at the same time, the world was already on the verge of chaos thanks to supers being unchecked. This was, in part, due to them defeating Supreme Force. It was their responsibility to set things straight. Oddly enough, he's one of the first to speak up. "We can't just do nothing about the issue," He begins. "That's how we get people like Silence: people who fall through the cracks, and are taught to use their abilities for selfish gain or worse: to use their abilities to blend into the populace and try to control and manipulate them to cause chaos."

    He shakes his head. "We need to, at the very least, know who these people are... the most dangerous supers aren't the ones with things like super strength or amazing physical abilities, but the ones who can warp realities and minds, the ones who can turn a crowd with but a single word, and then set the land ablaze with another... People like myself. Would you really be comfortable with someone like me running amok, raising the dead and spirits to complete my own goals? Most of the populace isn't comfortable with me in the first place, despite my good deeds."
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSolo D6+No Longer Naive D4+DOOM+Psyche Expert D8+Stunt(What about me?)D8 - (1d6+1d4+2d8) (4) (4) (1, 3) [12] (Effect stepped up)
    The younger brother crosses his arms. "What kind of timeline do you think Doomsayer came from? Do you really think any of us would still be alive if Supreme had decided at the height of his power that collateral damage was of no consequence?" He snaps his fingers. "Gone. This whole world. Even the most Machiavellian of politicians leaves something to rule over. Continent-splitting strength, which I have, doesn't." Max points at Freya and then himself. "People like her- like me- don't do that. If we did, there wouldn't be much left to debate over. It really isn't about what people are capable of. It's about what they're willing to do with what they have. That's what we have to judge people by."
    Despite his words, he is extremely shaken, and it makes him visibly doubt his own judgement. Your words have reminded you not of himself, but of Mentor, and you can see fear in his eyes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Hold on hold on. First off, Mentor is talking about a school Max. A voluntary place of education. How much easier is it if everyone with extraordinary abilities has a Vlad to teach them to control their powers? I know I wrecked my fair share of things before I got a semblance of control. A school would have been pretty nice. But if people don't want to go there, that's fine too. As for you Spirit... Forcefox switches her wrist computer to project the declaration of human rights on a wall as showpiece, big as can be. I don't care what your argument for it is, any compromise to basic human rights of anyone, by anyone, will find me as it's unyielding opposition. And yes, forced registration of so called supers is a violation of their basic freedoms. Which includes the right to privacy and anonymity and the right to be a bitch. You want as a private citizen track other private citizens you can do that within the confines of the law. But anything further and more organized than that and we shouldn't have killed Supreme. Forcefox declares as she folds her arms across her chest.
    "Seriously, why did you jump to the conclusion that-" Mentor looks at his brother and then seems hurt, looking away.

    Max, seeing this reaction, immediately gets angry again. "That's why. You just peek into people's heads for what you want. Don't deny it," he points, before Mentor can speak again to defend himself. "Are you going to be keeping tabs on your students or seeking out metahumans that way?"

    "Are you making me out into Supreme now?" Now Mentor is the one that's angry, distracting from your point. "Is that what this is about?"
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDOOM+Taking Sides(D8) - (3d8) (7, 4, 8) [19] (Taking 12 total here, because I think it's appropriate. Asset Successful.)
    Lady Liberty takes the opportunity to grab Mentor by the earlobe. "No. This isn't about you. So don't try to make it about you." Her quick lecturing tone is enough to put the psychic in his place.
    Quote Originally Posted by GhoulRising View Post
    Perseus watches and thinks while everyone else presents their arguments. He nods to himself and then starts to talk.
    "How about a compromise? We can have something like public and private schools in place. For those who are ok with going to a public place to learn about their powers, great- we can easily make something like that. At the same time, what about having extra supers going around to independent supers and offering to teach them how to control their powers? I don't think anyone will be so against any kind of teaching that they'll want to randomly emit electricity for the rest of their lives, for example. "
    "That's something I can go for," Max softens up a bit. "I'd rather not have there be one big school that everyone has to go to or otherwise answer to. This way, at least, everyone can be trained without worrying about having tabs constantly kept on them."
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSolo D6+Rights and Responsibilities D8 - (1d6+1d8) (6) (5) [11] (The D10 Complication is still not enough to push this, sadly).

    "But that defeats the point!" Mentor says in exasperation. "If just anyone can teach, then the Snake Society can have 'private schools' run by brainwashers and we're back to square one! No matter how you cut it, there's got to be some kind of universal accountability."

    Doom Pool: 2d8
    Scene Distinctions: Taking Sides, Rights and Responsibilities, Heroism Defined
    Next Up: NPCs
    Opportunities: 1
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 08-14-2019 at 08:42 AM.

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


  6. #6

    Default

    Max's doubt inspired by Haven, especially when paired with Mentor's continued pushing, makes him take Perseus's perspective on things. "Not to make this sound too patronizing, but if we're going to talk about what we expect of people with power, he and Lady Liberty have the closest perspective to 'normal' humans. Everyone else, myself especially, has a lot of baggage in this fight." (Max is stepping up his Complication to a D12 to turn it into a D10 Got Your Back Asset for Perseus)

    Liberty looks up at the sky. "The world has changed... a lot. If we're going to be making some kind of school, I'm on for that. I have a chemistry degree I need to renew, so if you want me to teach that, I can. It would be a good opportunity for me to learn about how the world has changed."

    Undaunted, Mentor elaborates on his perspective. "All that said, I still think we need to take responsibility for the way metas approach the world. If we have the responsibility to stop supers from committing crimes, we have the responsibility to make sure that existing supers have the proper channels for learning about their powers. If we're not going to track all the students, we should at least track all the teachers." He continues, "Maybe we don't need to track supers just because they have the powers, but if they commit a crime or accidentally hurt someone, I think they should at least be given remediation, the same way anyone at risk for delinquency is."
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSolo D8+Rights and Responsibilities D8+Psyche Expert 2d8 - (4d8) (7, 4, 2, 4) [17] Spending d8 for additional effect: Mental Stress against Forcefox and Perseus, total 11/D8(Forcfox)+D8(Perseus).

    Doom Pool: 1d8
    Scene Distinctions: Taking Sides, Rights and Responsibilities, Heroism Defined
    Next Up: Everyone
    Opportunities: 1
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 08-14-2019 at 08:43 AM.

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,307
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Yeah, no. You're not tracking teachers either. As for the rest... Of course the Snake Society can set up schools too. Just like radical religious people can set up schools that teach creationism, or the schools of Haulia can teach their version of history. If you want to do something about that, then you need to talk to the politicians that are trying to rebuild the nation. But the line between saying what can't be taught and what can only be taught is very thin.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  8. #8

    Default

    Dorian shakes his head. "Even the most public schools have some form of monitoring," Dorian explains. "Safety, ensuring proper teaching, these things are not possible without some form of knowledge about their school grounds and those that attend. I'm not calling for "Super IDs" or government mandated training, but we have to at least know who's a super, and how they could potentially affect the world, on both small and large scales. To simply let things lie as they are now, we'll never be able to prepare in case someone decides to use their powers for self benefit, or worse."

    He looks over to Max and gives a small sigh. "That's quite the response. Some of us here were 'normal' before we developed super powers. I would still be 'normal' if I had died much like any other person does in a car accident." He doesn't look upset, just disappointed.

    (Spending 1PP for a Knowledge of Public Systems Psych Resource [1d8], if allowed)

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 1
    Stress: None

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,307
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Wrong.
    I can't believe what I'm hearing here. Are you monitoring normal people as well? Because bombs have nothing to do with superpowers, yet there are dangerous individuals that have not done anything wrong yet but they might. See where I'm going with this?
    No tracking. No listing. No infraction of any kind or level of anyone's human rights.
    This is not a hard thing to understand.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Yeah, no. You're not tracking teachers either. As for the rest... Of course the Snake Society can set up schools too. Just like radical religious people can set up schools that teach creationism, or the schools of Haulia can teach their version of history. If you want to do something about that, then you need to talk to the politicians that are trying to rebuild the nation. But the line between saying what can't be taught and what can only be taught is very thin.
    Max shifts uncomfortably when you mention creationism, probably because his mentor is a divine champion from a while back historically. It's generally accepted that the gods left the world alone a long time ago, which is where magic comes from... but Forcefox thinks magic is just misunderstood science, rendering the issue moot.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    Dorian shakes his head. "Even the most public schools have some form of monitoring," Dorian explains. "Safety, ensuring proper teaching, these things are not possible without some form of knowledge about their school grounds and those that attend. I'm not calling for "Super IDs" or government mandated training, but we have to at least know who's a super, and how they could potentially affect the world, on both small and large scales. To simply let things lie as they are now, we'll never be able to prepare in case someone decides to use their powers for self benefit, or worse."

    He looks over to Max and gives a small sigh. "That's quite the response. Some of us here were 'normal' before we developed super powers. I would still be 'normal' if I had died much like any other person does in a car accident." He doesn't look upset, just disappointed.

    (Spending 1PP for a Knowledge of Public Systems Psych Resource [1d8], if allowed)

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 1
    Stress: None
    (Resource Allowed.)
    Max looks at you, physically down due to his height. "Riddle me this, then. If you consider yourself normal, then human mutants like me who are going to emerge with these superpowers have an even better claim on that label than you do. So either you are normal, in which case you should be subject to training, or you're abnormal, in which case I'm right. So which is it?"

    "Can you spell false dichotomy?" Mentor grumbles. "If he is a subject of the training, then he has a say in it too. Or he should. But SOMETHING needs to be done."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Wrong.
    I can't believe what I'm hearing here. Are you monitoring normal people as well? Because bombs have nothing to do with superpowers, yet there are dangerous individuals that have not done anything wrong yet but they might. See where I'm going with this?
    No tracking. No listing. No infraction of any kind or level of anyone's human rights.
    This is not a hard thing to understand.
    "This isn't a violation of human rights," Mentor asserts with gritted teeth. "We can't just wait until someone decides to hurt the world and strike back then. Avenging the wronged is a nice idea, but preventative maintenance is a thing. Look, I'll even say that we don't have to monitor people." He lists concepts on his fingers. "Codenames for privacy, volunteer recruitment and regular pay, peer-based optional training, whatever. I'll make as many compromises on that front as I need to. But we need to help people. Actively. That's something we're RESPONSIBLE for. Aren't we? If we are, other people that have these powers are too."

    "That's not your decision to make!" Max protests.

    "You're right, it's not. It's everyone's. Society is built on what we expect of ourselves and how we measure up to that!"

    Doom Pool: 1d8
    Scene Distinctions: Taking Sides, Rights and Responsibilities, Heroism Defined
    Next Up: Perseus, Enfield when he returns
    Opportunities: 1
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 08-19-2019 at 08:16 AM.

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •