Thread: Can we get some love for 3.5? PbP.

Default Can we get some love for 3.5? PbP.

Hello everyone!
    Been lurking on and off for a while now but with the end of my semester looming I decided to try being proactive.
    I like complexity in general and 3.5 in particular.

Unfortunately I live in a weird timezone so any game will unfortunately have to be Play by Post. I am a punctual person willing and able to post regularly.

As for game experience, I got introduced to 5e but didn't like it that much. 3.5 ended up clicking and here I am. I have lots of experience with character creation, have filled a number of roles in a party, and while I kinda suck at role-playing in person I write as a hobby and everyone I've played over text with has told me I am actually pretty good when I can take a moment to think and type it out. Classic social awkwardness I guess?

Strengths:
    I always prepare thoroughly for every session. I complete my characters and always get them approved by the DM well in advance.
    I am willing to fill most niches on a party, I've played a lot of classes.
    I've been told I'm good at making non-cliche characters.
    I play nice with others. No edgelords, no "I work alone", if I ever say "Its what my character would do" its because I ran the character by the DM first and he said it was okay.
    I know everything about what makes my character tick. I've never had to go look up a rule or spell during a session yet. If I'm using it I have it on my sheet in full or a note about how it works and where I got it from handy.

Weaknesses:
    I occasionally get... overexcited, so to speak. I used to be a powergamer and old habits die hard. I pride myself on not screwing with other people's roles though. Whatever my character is built to do, I make sure it isn't anyone else's shtick. It tends to bother some people when you say the word "optimize" though, so I thought I'd say it up front.

Blog Entries

Have you tried pathfinder? .. used to be a 3.5 myself.. Now i'm all for the pathfinder .. and more games at that

Nothing wrong with Pathfinder. I've checked it out alright.
    But to me its the thing I'd settle for rather than the thing I want.

5e is the same for me. Its almost but not quite 3.5. But what I have always liked is the complexity and 5e is just 3.5 with most of that taken out.
    Last edited by Gr33k_Fir3; 06-10-2019 at 03:36 PM.

Blog Entries

I do know the feeling, but I'm afraid for the short time I been here I have not seen a lot of 3.5.. I hope for you that one comes up soon!

Give me a few hours and I can provide a pitch to scratch your optimization itch. I'm loaded down with regards to DMing responsibilities at the moment, though, so I can't say I'd run this for sure.

Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising

Pitch incoming: It's a little on the late side, but you can't rush quality. You also can't rush my writing.
    You wanted optimization, so here's the perfect opportunity: A world where no matter how busted the homebrew, no matter how obscure the source text, you can play your character, because it's at the end of the world. No alignment restrictions, no worries about breaking the setting. Anything goes.

If all the world is truly a stage, the final curtain lies on the horizon.

Long ago, a traveler, a lowly soldier who had devoted his life to fighting, set off to lands unknown. When one asked where he went, he simply replied 'the end of the world'. People paid him no heed- he was merely a man, lacking any of the supernatural powers or equipment known to the greatest of the age. It was assumed he had died.

In his absence, kingdoms rose and fell at the hands of powerful wizards and mighty bloodlines. Countless joys and peoples multiplied themselves on this world. Dragons were lay in graves. Ancient castles were turned to tombs, before being re-opened and re-conquered. Even the mantles of deities and demigods changed hands. Arcana was unearthed. Great secrets of blade magic were unleashed. Vile darkness and exalted deeds both had their place in the wheel of time. In horror and battle, legacies were handed down that left challenges ringing in the ears of every adventurer that wished to make a name for themselves.

But over time, the world changed for the worse. What had been unleashed could never be restricted again. When any champion or scoundrel thought his story complete, another would strive to surpass it. More and more extravagant methods were created to vanquish foes and master the world. Obsession with power led to terrible eugenics, wicked cults, and monstrous experiments. The lines which held the world together could not hold, and, indeed, the earth began to shake more and more constantly. More monsters, greater than any before, rose to confront these new heroes, strewing billions of corpses in their wake.

The peoples retreated to heavily automated and protected cities, with none but their greatest heroes daring to exit, and only then to increase their power. When they were not honing their skills in universities designed to train them at battle-tactics and other techniques, they rested and spent the wealth of countless plundered empires. The world perpetually lay balanced on a knife's edge.

Then I, Tiberius Velius Victorinus, Crusader-Consul of the White Citadel, was made known of a visitor standing outside the gate. It was impossible. He sought to be let in, but none of our magic or psionics could discern his true motive. He simply stood at the gate in rotted armor, smiling vacantly with a rusted longsword in his left hand. I prompted him to speak the truth, hoping that I could convince him to speak his true mind.

"Surely,"
    I observed,
    "You must be a powerful warrior to brave the world outside the city."

"I have walked for four thousand years to reach the end of the world," Laughter rung out, and for the first time in years upon years of service, I knew fear. No towering beast was he, but I knew his words were doom to me and my kind. He threw his head back in glee, opening his arms to embrace the Citadel as he looked upon my city's glory and purity. "At last, I have arrived."

As if on cue, vast swathes of the populace vanished into thin air- some among them the kindest I have ever known. This was relayed to me by my allies and I demanded an answer from him. "What have you done? To whom do you answer, fiend?"

"The end comes to you and your people in the form of six seals, each unleashing a greater evil than the one before it. They cannot be stopped, and though your clerics may still draw upon holy magics, the gods have turned a deaf ear to your wicked world." He attempted to comfort me with a small pity, explaining what lay ahead. "Those that are kind of heart but not powerful enough to fight have been spirited away to the gods, where they can embrace their reward. You and your heroic brethren, however, face a dark challenge. Save as many as you can, and punish the wicked in their lairs. When the seventh seal opens, you will join your beloved kin. Those too wicked to change their ways truly before the last seal breaks will be left to wallow in the final dark- a powerlessness that will scourge their soul for all time. If you fall to the darkness, you too will suffer this fate." At that, he turned and walked away. "The first seal staves off death. Be there at the last, Consul."

As I heard the cries of the wicked and the merely selfish fighting among each other, I knew what had to be done. The gods would not intervene to stop the worst atrocities I could imagine before the final end. It was up to whoever remained to serve justice and help the weak until at last the final toll would sound out. I ran within the gate as it closed for the last time. This will likely be my last address. We stand at the end of time- neglect not your duties even now, as the world falls into wickedness. I have seen it in the streets! Men eating their wives! Sisters murdering their own blood for a weak potion! Children torturing their classmates! Revenants swell the graveyards and streets. No-one who dies will stay dead. This is the power of the first seal.

Do not let this scare you- I speak only to warn of the ease of falling into the dark. Even now, though, there is hope! I have spoken to the orcs as they cut their way into the heart of drow schemes. At last, at the end of time, we, warriors and sages and tricksters of the world, can all stand together against a world that has discarded valor!

Stand together! In the light, we are strong!

Tiberius Velius Victorinus, Crusader-Consul of the White Citadel
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 06-19-2019 at 06:03 AM.

Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising