Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Act 4, Scene 1- Picking Up the Pieces

  1. #1

    Default Act 4, Scene 1- Picking Up the Pieces

    Patches of conflict still cover Alamaoa. The transition is not going to be an atomic step. Most of the supers that weren't participating in the fight with Supreme are handling the citizen-military conflicts or limiting looting or riots. Government leaders are making hot-tempered speeches on what Alamaoan networks remain online, while pirate networkers are connecting with their allies over social media. Some people haven't even realized that Supreme is gone yet.

    The armed forces are holding a networked meeting, hastily arranged to occur at night. Desertion rates are at a mind-boggling 34.7%. Most of them have formed militias or attempted to get in contact with the Champions or the Snake Society. Uprise has formed several council meetings to try and limit the amount of looting, though the effectiveness of this is limited.

    Despite all of this, things are looking up. Those Alamaoans old enough or educated enough to know what it's like to live without Supreme's influence are taking steps to try and re-instate the old form of government. With a third of the military on their side and most of the rest busy or paralyzed, the largest group has reclaimed one of the government buildings in Crescent City and are busily working out agreements with other militias and factions. Lady Liberty is being hosted as a guest of honor in the talks.

    ---

    The Haulian entry force has beat a hasty retreat, barely managing to sweep clear of the disoriented border force with those that are willing to negotiate with them. Their border-hopping will likely remain a sore point for a long time, even though they contributed to stopping Supreme. Mentor will be going with them to speak with/confront the General in person. The building those who wish to negotiate are being brought to is barren, deliberately severe and comfortless, to fit the ideal of Haulian stoicism and resilence. The meeting room itself is on the first floor, for the simple fact that it has multiple easy escape routes should the location be compromised.

    The table at which the General sits at is very long. Every person who enters is checked for weapons by heavily-built military guards with metal detectors and tazers. Eventually, they wave the visitors in. A man worn down by anxiety sits at the other end of the table. His eyes are suspicious, his face wrinkled, his voice gravelly. This is General Belousov in the flesh.

    Is Gus here, or at the meeting described before this one, sitting besides Lady Liberty?

    ---

    Green Scout is participating in the Roto ship repairs, running an analysis on what works and what doesn't within the ship. Few technicians from Alamaoa can be spared, and fewer still can even relate to the technology. A few of those that claim they can are also suspect of working for Lovecraft, who remains at large. This leaves several of them arguing among themselves as to who should be doing what. A few even suggest that they should leave the ship repairs "to the pros" so that they don't make things worse. One of them seems to be able to work handily with Roto technology after being handed some blueprints, a fact that impresses two of the Roto so much that they need to be yelled at to get back to work.

    If Freya is continuing to work on the ship, a man in a disheveled suit and tie approaches her. "Are you Ms. Forcefox?" He acts a bit uncertain as he holds out a card for a meeting location and time, as well as several contact e-mails. "Sorry for the short notice. Let's just say I had to rush. I know Alamaoa is barely sovereign enough to handle internal affairs, much less interstellar ones, but given how disorganized everything is..." He shrugs. "You could invite yourself to the meetings without much issue. Personally, I think it's in humanity's best interest and vice versa to have a good relationship with our star siblings. Your input would be important to us."

    Does she decide to do so, or does she prefer to get hands-on with making sure the Roto can raise the ship from the ground and possibly leave or retrieve new colonists if need be?

    ---

    The younger Force children are in safekeeping, Max and Vlad recovering while addressing them. An abandoned but clean hotel room has been selected for the two children to slowly ease into their life, though their location has not been disclosed to the public for fear of revenge attacks. Vlad has prepared tea, though Gale doesn't seem thirsty and Nuclear finds the drink too bitter. "Can I just have some milk, please?" asks the young boy, a hint of guilt in his voice for refusing the drink. The magician hides his disappointment as best he can, realizing the children have likely had little choice in their diet.

    Max acts ill at ease, pacing intermittently and lying down to rest from time to time. All the while, his fingers are twitching and he's looking out the window every other minute. Blue Falcon has pushed into the Force's family meeting, something that doesn't help Maximum's nerves, especially since Silence has not been heard from since the main conflict. They exchange glares before continuing to survey the situation, neither one willing to make the first move.

    If Spirit Haven is here, does he share Max's concern? How does he intend to address the elephant in the room of the Force heritage?

    ---
    Perseus and the others are still cleaning up the Security Six and dealing with their imprisonment.

    Dynamo is in holding, though it's hasty and will not contain him if push comes to shove. Thankfully, he's lethargic from his over-extension and doesn't seem interested in fighting at the moment.

    ---
    This is a Transition Scene.

    Doom Pool: 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 0

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    3,708
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Gus stands at Mentor's side, observing the room. K'tzir has decided to observe. It's been a whirlwind of a day, and his head still aches from the battle with Supreme. Not really his head, though. K'tzir shouldered that burden, but Gus likens the sensation to an alarm blaring beyond a closed window. Not painful so much as distracting. Like Mentor, he has no need for a weapon, and so comes unarmed.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,393
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Forcefox flips the card over and over between her finger as she's thinking. She runs the meeting with the disheveled bureaucrat over and over in her mind as if trying to find some new information but of course coming up blank. She had thanked the man for coming, given him an e-vite to her social media account and faster easier way of contacting her and shaken his hand. She didn't know what to think about the invitation but it did give her a warm feeling having been asked. Or rather... The man had said she could invite herself so... Not invited then?
    She got up from her seat and went looking for Blue Leader... The roto custom of not naming their kids was still really weird to Freya. She just passively boycotted the entire thing and addressed them by color as a kind of first name. It had only caused confusing twice already with Yellow Pilot and Yellow Engineer. Anyway...
    Hey Blue? There's this meeting being organised between Alamoa and Haulia. Kind of a 'where do we go from here' type of thing. I don't think it's a good idea to let the humans decide anything that could affect the roto without roto input. I want to make room here for the roto, at the very least for a serious while, so they can come here as a rallying point you know? Regroup at a safe haven? Set up some kind of unified leadership structure to figure out where to go from here? I think it's very important I weigh in on that meeting so that can actually happen. I won't be gone long I think and you'll be fine here.

    She arrived at the meeting point on foot, stopping abruptly in front of the gate guard and taking a moment to catch her breath with her hands on her knees.
    Phew! That's a nice brisk morning run I tell ya! she smirks at the shocked guard. Hey... Ivan. she reads off his name tag. You know who I am right? You saw me punching the living daylights out of Supreme? Cool huh? There's a meeting here and I intend to attend so if you could announce me and show me where it's at that would be great. Don't worry, I'm unarmed, not that that would matter to me.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  4. #4

    Default

    It's been a long day for Dorian. Even after the rescue of the two Force children, he was still busy with keeping them in safety. The world was now, predictably, in turmoil after Supreme's violent overthrowing. And the standoff between Max and Blue Falcon was going to be one of the major problems if he didn't take charge of the situation. He didn't want to break things so suddenly, but it would be best if someone they tentatively trusted lead the conversation.

    "We all need to talk," Dorian speaks up after a few tense moments. "Gale. Nuclear. You too Max. I wish Mentor was here for this conversation, but his mind needs to be elsewhere for this." He takes a small pause, as if to collect himself, before diving right into the conversation. "Supreme was a man of many atrocities... Being trained to fight on his behalf was one of them, especially from such young ages. I am truly sorry that you all had to suffer under his rule. Unfortunately for all of you... this isn't the only thing he's done to you. He's also lied to you by telling you that you were his children."

    Dorian hesitates. "None of you are related. Max, you're not even related to Mentor... Gale, you are not related to Nuclear. As far as blood is concerned, you are not family. Supreme and Relentless are not your parents. I'm sorry."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None
    Last edited by DonJentleman; 06-05-2019 at 08:58 PM.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    Gus stands at Mentor's side, observing the room. K'tzir has decided to observe. It's been a whirlwind of a day, and his head still aches from the battle with Supreme. Not really his head, though. K'tzir shouldered that burden, but Gus likens the sensation to an alarm blaring beyond a closed window. Not painful so much as distracting. Like Mentor, he has no need for a weapon, and so comes unarmed.
    The General is at least age 70. It's obvious that he should have retired years ago under any other conditions but has retained his position through sheer competence and experience.
    "So." he begins coughing with vocal cords worn out from screeching, smoking, and stress. "I spend the last third of my fairly long life attempting to kill that damn alien freak bastard pyschopath monster dictator scum using the latest in Haulian technology and spycraft. The Adamant project proves promising. And then you manage to disassemble my assault and end him in record time."

    "Yes," Mentor shrugs his shoulders. "I admit it seems a bit anticlimactic. But it's for the best. I was under the impression that you wanted to re-negotiate new term between the nations, and I'd be happy to..."

    "I don't believe it for a second," Belousov interrupts, grinding his crooked thumb into the tabletop. "Very clever. A nice power play. Supreme hands his legacy on to someone more respectable in the eyes of the public so that the transition is smoother. A little chaos to make it look genuine. But then everything gets back in order, and nothing turns out to have actually changed." The attitude of the guards outside the room becomes notably more hostile.

    Mentor's eyes are flickering back and forth in disbelief, considering why that conclusion, before stopping. He sits back, defeated, realizing that that's exactly the way the general would reasonably see things. "That's not true. But nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise, is it?"

    "No. It's not." He turns to you, adjusting his dress uniform and straightening his tie. "But let's hear things from one old man to another. I know enough about you that you don't think you can trust us. That's fine, because I don't trust you Alamaoan bastards any more than I can throw you with my bad back. We don't need trust, persay. We need an agreement. Specifically, a bilateral policy on metahumans. I myself am one. Registration and classification is the only way to ensure that everyone's on the same page. It'll also help us find rogue aliens." The General is, of course, under the impression that both of you have extraterrestrial origins. He does not seem to care if that statement offends you. "An exchange of information on metas is the least you can do to get us on board with this new world order. You're a spy- no enemy of gathering intelligence for the right cause."
    He is going to be hard to convince of anything due to his paranoia and deep-seated bias, even without his relative immunity to superpowers. An investigation on superpowers might be good to raise awareness and soothe fears about secret monsters among Tertia. More likely, though, it could prove invasive of privacy and heavy-handed, a misstep for a people that just got over a tyrant. Haulia does not seem to have this cultural block, due to their group-oriented mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Forcefox flips the card over and over between her finger as she's thinking. She runs the meeting with the disheveled bureaucrat over and over in her mind as if trying to find some new information but of course coming up blank. She had thanked the man for coming, given him an e-vite to her social media account and faster easier way of contacting her and shaken his hand. She didn't know what to think about the invitation but it did give her a warm feeling having been asked. Or rather... The man had said she could invite herself so... Not invited then?
    She got up from her seat and went looking for Blue Leader... The roto custom of not naming their kids was still really weird to Freya. She just passively boycotted the entire thing and addressed them by color as a kind of first name. It had only caused confusing twice already with Yellow Pilot and Yellow Engineer. Anyway...
    Hey Blue? There's this meeting being organised between Alamoa and Haulia. Kind of a 'where do we go from here' type of thing. I don't think it's a good idea to let the humans decide anything that could affect the roto without roto input. I want to make room here for the roto, at the very least for a serious while, so they can come here as a rallying point you know? Regroup at a safe haven? Set up some kind of unified leadership structure to figure out where to go from here? I think it's very important I weigh in on that meeting so that can actually happen. I won't be gone long I think and you'll be fine here.

    She arrived at the meeting point on foot, stopping abruptly in front of the gate guard and taking a moment to catch her breath with her hands on her knees.
    Phew! That's a nice brisk morning run I tell ya! she smirks at the shocked guard. Hey... Ivan. she reads off his name tag. You know who I am right? You saw me punching the living daylights out of Supreme? Cool huh? There's a meeting here and I intend to attend so if you could announce me and show me where it's at that would be great. Don't worry, I'm unarmed, not that that would matter to me.
    The Roto nod, before hurrying back to their work as busily as they were before. It seems that you've become the de facto second-in-command, despite having been only recently introduced. Perhaps it's because they've recognized your unusual power, or just because of your confidence.

    As you approach the guard, he undergoes a slow-motion reassessment of reality. Even with the relative awareness of metahumans, he's shocked that you were effectively able to materialize in front of him, and moves to grab his sidearm before realizing you're not a threat and apologetically standing at attention. "Uh, the meeting is on the second story, Ma'am. Second door on the right- should be labeled 'Ballroom'.."

    The area is pretty, but it's obvious the decorations were the last thing anyone at an emergency meeting was thinking about. Most of the guests are in at least some kind of formalwear, but the atmosphere is one of desperation rather than schmoozing. There is an entire hastily catered lunch that few people have touched for anything other than ice water and liquor. One table is filled with lawyers desperately working through paperwork. Two aides are bringing armfuls of new forms that are scanned, stapled, and signed in swift succession. After that amusing alliteration, a former senator tries to get everyone's attention. "Most of the paperwork for the new census has been signed. We can't really proceed with number-based elections until after we have a full count of the constituents. For those of you new to these meetings- most, I'm sure- I am Senator Philips, former Speaker. Or just Mr. Philips now. And since one of our only nonhuman participants is here, I'd like to begin by addressing extraplanetary relations. I'm sure Lady Liberty will be here soon."

    "Are you serious?" one of the lawyers gets up and throws the stack of papers he's holding to the ground. "Is this about the Roto? We're already spending engineers we don't have to get their ship working so that they can leave. We don't have the time or living space or resources to accept people from off-planet. For goodness's sake, we can barely house humans!" He appeals to the other members present. "She can be a go-between, sure. But she's not starting an embassy until after WE have our footing. Cure thyself or however the phrase goes. The last thing we need is grounds for an interstellar war- the Snake Society would jump all over that and kill this government before it even begins. The time for bold sweeping statements is over. This government needs a few baby steps to get off the ground. I've never really been a conservative man, but I know too far, too fast when I see it."

    If you want to raise this to a mechanical combat as well as an RP one, the Lawyers are Frustrated, Desperate, and Legalistic. Pushing your intentions using Emotional or Mental Stress will essentially pit you against a Mob.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    It's been a long day for Dorian. Even after the rescue of the two Force children, he was still busy with keeping them in safety. The world was now, predictably, in turmoil after Supreme's violent overthrowing. And the standoff between Max and Blue Falcon was going to be one of the major problems if he didn't take charge of the situation. He didn't want to break things so suddenly, but it would be best if someone they tentatively trusted lead the conversation.

    "We all need to talk," Dorian speaks up after a few tense moments. "Gale. Nuclear. You too Max. I wish Mentor was here for this conversation, but his mind needs to be elsewhere for this." He takes a small pause, as if to collect himself, before diving right into the conversation. "Supreme was a man of many atrocities... Being trained to fight on his behalf was one of them, especially from such young ages. I am truly sorry that you all had to suffer under his rule. Unfortunately for all of you... this isn't the only thing he's done to you. He's also lied to you by telling you that you were his children."

    Dorian hesitates. "None of you are related. Max, you're not even related to Mentor... Gale, you are not related to Nuclear. As far as blood is concerned, you are not family. Supreme and Relentless are not your parents. I'm sorry."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 1
    Stress: None
    "I already knew that," Max admits, a statement that confuses everyone else present.

    "When did you- Why didn't you tell me?" Vlad hastily picks up the empty tea cup he dropped.

    "Pheromones," Blue Falcon concludes. "Am I right?"

    "Yes. I pick up more than you think I do. I just choose to forget or ignore it. It's rude, and I could be wrong." To answer Vlad, he shrugs. "You never asked. Besides, I didn't have actual confirmation of it until now."

    Nuclear begins trembling, his eyes filling with tears. "I don't even know what real parents would be like..." The elder 'Force' quits his moping immediately to support the young boy, placing him on his lap. Blue Sparrow sits back, looking at the crying child with a deep sympathy that you haven't seen from her before.

    Gale seems relieved to find out she's not related to Relentless or Supreme. "I...What do we do now? I don't know anything about what normal people do day to day, but I'm sure it's better than training to fight criminals." She pleads to Vlad, "Can you use magic to give us a new home? I don't know how that would work... There must be someone who would want us, right?"

    The sage is unsure about the question, and considers it. "I could try to find someone. I don't want to try and trick anyone into being your new parents, because that could put you back to square one if things go wrong."

    "What if we asked to forget?" she pushes. "We could just be a pair of kids up for adoption." Gale looks to you for support. She evidently thinks that a fake life would be better than the one ahead of her with the identity she has.

    Doom Pool: 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 0
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 06-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,393
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    The first thing Forcefox does after entering the room is head for the food. She loads up a plate and starts stuffing her face in typical roto fashion. Meanwhile she observes and listens. When Philips says his piece and the lawyer objects she gulps down the last of her food and stands up straight. Oh boy. What was I thinking?
    She swallows hard. Suddenly she's very self conscious about her pink outfit, clashing hard with the suits.
    Alright. Let me start by saying I understand your concerns. I hear you and I understand where you're coming from. I grew up here. Alamoa is my home too.
    Now about the engineers: We are very grateful for their assistance. But it's clear to me that you need their expertise more than we do. So by all means, assign them to where you need them most.
    As far as space and resources go... The roto aren't asking for much. And I'm sure we can work out a satisfactory way of repaying Alamoa; you know for stuff we haven't earned by ridding you of a totalitarian dictator and associated sociopaths. We're not looking for handouts, or being a drain on Alamoa's resources. In fact, if we can cooperate I'm sure both humans and roto can benefit from a close relationship.
    Speaking of sociopaths... The Snake society concerns you? They are without their leader, who was basically a extra dimensional being possessing John Smith. Short Circuit or whatever his name is is in custody. Sharpshooter has been given a serious slap on the hand... That extra dimensional being called itself a demon by the way. And you want to listen to them? Why did I even eliminate Supreme?

    Forcefox sighs and rubs her forehead for a moment, gathering her thoughts.
    Look, the roto aren't many. Only a handful and we're small so we don't take up much space. Just give some time, before anybody does anything rash. Just let things settle down. Set up a government and diplomatic corps. Smooth things over with Haulia. Give everybody some time to recuperate, you all owe me that much.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,393
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    3,708
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkisnotEvil View Post
    The General is at least age 70. It's obvious that he should have retired years ago under any other conditions but has retained his position through sheer competence and experience.
    "So." he begins coughing with vocal cords worn out from screeching, smoking, and stress. "I spend the last third of my fairly long life attempting to kill that damn alien freak bastard pyschopath monster dictator scum using the latest in Haulian technology and spycraft. The Adamant project proves promising. And then you manage to disassemble my assault and end him in record time."

    "Yes," Mentor shrugs his shoulders. "I admit it seems a bit anticlimactic. But it's for the best. I was under the impression that you wanted to re-negotiate new term between the nations, and I'd be happy to..."

    "I don't believe it for a second," Belousov interrupts, grinding his crooked thumb into the tabletop. "Very clever. A nice power play. Supreme hands his legacy on to someone more respectable in the eyes of the public so that the transition is smoother. A little chaos to make it look genuine. But then everything gets back in order, and nothing turns out to have actually changed." The attitude of the guards outside the room becomes notably more hostile.

    Mentor's eyes are flickering back and forth in disbelief, considering why that conclusion, before stopping. He sits back, defeated, realizing that that's exactly the way the general would reasonably see things. "That's not true. But nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise, is it?"

    "No. It's not." He turns to you, adjusting his dress uniform and straightening his tie. "But let's hear things from one old man to another. I know enough about you that you don't think you can trust us. That's fine, because I don't trust you Alamaoan bastards any more than I can throw you with my bad back. We don't need trust, persay. We need an agreement. Specifically, a unilateral policy on metahumans. I myself am one. Registration and classification is the only way to ensure that everyone's on the same page. It'll also help us find rogue aliens." The General is, of course, under the impression that both of you have extraterrestrial origins. He does not seem to care if that statement offends you. "An exchange of information on metas is the least you can do to get us on board with this new world order. You're a spy- no enemy of gathering intelligence for the right cause."
    He is going to be hard to convince of anything due to his paranoia and deep-seated bias, even without his relative immunity to superpowers. An investigation on superpowers might be good to raise awareness and soothe fears about secret monsters among Tertia. More likely, though, it could prove invasive of privacy and heavy-handed, a misstep for a people that just got over a tyrant. Haulia does not seem to have this cultural block, due to their group-oriented mentality.



    Doom Pool: 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 0
    "Our founding principles guide us a bit on data collection," Gus replies with a smile. "Or at least they did, when we had founding principles. I'm not opposed to registration. It's important information to know, especially in light of what's out there," he explains, "but it's all just talk, now. There can be no agreement until Alamaoa is rebuilt. It's the kind of thing that you could maybe sell the population on, but it'll be delicate and you need the right salesman. You're right to be afraid, though, General. The aliens I met were not evil, but terrifying nonetheless. The only reason I survived the encounter at all is because I'm metahuman. And I've got their vague memories of other aliens. Some who are evil. If our planet—this beautiful blue speck—is to be prepared for what's out there, we've got to all be on the same page."

    "I can't promise you any information because I don't know what regime loyalists might have done to government databases. I can't promise that we'll be sharing much more than topline statistics until I know what the Alamaoan public will tolerate." Plus there's the risk of giving the Haulians information that makes Alamaoa vulnerable to a first strike. "And everything—everything—that I just said is true, whether I trust you or not. And you're right—I don't. But I promise that, as attaché to the Kala'thuumian Ambassador to Tertia, as metahuman, and as a loyal Alamaoan, I will do everything I can to foster a dialogue between your people and mine."

    He doesn't bother trying to read anything more than Belousov's body language, remembering that he's up against a wiser, weathered version of Silence.

    Enfield: Gus Green (public) / K'tzir (public)
    Plot Points: 1
    Trauma: D6 Mental
    Last edited by theScrappy; 06-04-2019 at 04:37 PM.




  9. #9

    Default

    "It's... an option, yes," Dorian says with a nod. "But, it's not without drawbacks... alot of supers often discover their powers through severe emotional stress and trauma, and I know the case is the same for you, Gale." He bows his head slightly. "Even if you forget that you have your powers, your body will not. And should an event come to pass that requires you to defend yourself... your body will act on its own, and could cause severe damage without intending to."

    He sighs and shakes his head, "Even going through that, it won't stop people from trying to hunt you down... especially those who have the means to track you technologically. I have no doubts that Lovecraft would be more than happy to get his hands on you, and I shudder to think to what end." He pauses, thinking for a moment. "We'd have to completely erase your powers from you in order to ensure your safety, if that's even possible. Vlad is powerful, and I may even be able to assist, but that would be an incredible effort for something that might not work in the end."

    He pauses once more. "We are not well equipped to take care of you two, it's true. Especially with how rapidly the world is changing right now. But if you'd let, I'd throw my entire being into making sure you two are better off than you are right now. Regardless of your decision."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    The first thing Forcefox does after entering the room is head for the food. She loads up a plate and starts stuffing her face in typical roto fashion. Meanwhile she observes and listens. When Philips says his piece and the lawyer objects she gulps down the last of her food and stands up straight. Oh boy. What was I thinking?
    She swallows hard. Suddenly she's very self conscious about her pink outfit, clashing hard with the suits.
    Alright. Let me start by saying I understand your concerns. I hear you and I understand where you're coming from. I grew up here. Alamoa is my home too.
    Now about the engineers: We are very grateful for their assistance. But it's clear to me that you need their expertise more than we do. So by all means, assign them to where you need them most.
    As far as space and resources go... The roto aren't asking for much. And I'm sure we can work out a satisfactory way of repaying Alamoa; you know for stuff we haven't earned by ridding you of a totalitarian dictator and associated sociopaths. We're not looking for handouts, or being a drain on Alamoa's resources. In fact, if we can cooperate I'm sure both humans and roto can benefit from a close relationship.
    Speaking of sociopaths... The Snake society concerns you? They are without their leader, who was basically a extra dimensional being possessing John Smith. Short Circuit or whatever his name is is in custody. Sharpshooter has been given a serious slap on the hand... That extra dimensional being called itself a demon by the way. And you want to listen to them? Why did I even eliminate Supreme?

    Forcefox sighs and rubs her forehead for a moment, gathering her thoughts.
    Look, the roto aren't many. Only a handful and we're small so we don't take up much space. Just give some time, before anybody does anything rash. Just let things settle down. Set up a government and diplomatic corps. Smooth things over with Haulia. Give everybody some time to recuperate, you all owe me that much.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDesperate+Mob 4d6 - (1d4+4d6) (2) (2, 2, 1, 2) [9] (A hilariously incompetent 4 total with d6 effect. The Asset is stepped up to D10, representing the lawyer's fumble making you look better.)
    "We DON'T want to listen to the Snake Society," the lawyer huffs, obviously unsettled by your accusation. "But we can't afford to even look as if we're overly favoring the Roto: It gives someone like Dynamo a perfect speaking point for our 'incompetence'." He pounds a fist on the table in anger and sorrow before resting his head in its palm. "This is politics- It doesn't matter whether we're ACTUALLY giving you handouts, they just need to fudge the facts enough to make it look like we are."

    "Then we focus on what the Roto give in this give-and-take," Philips offers soothingly, looking over the assembled lawyers, public stewards, and help staff. "They certainly have technology. Tech for resources will create a good platform to work with. We pay them for their equipment, and they teach us how to use it while repairing their ship." He looks to you as he makes his next statement, as he has heard of your public anger against Lovecraft. "There's another reason why we need new technology- Lovecraft has surely built software and hardware backdoors into anything he had access to while he was the head of tech. His notes on Roto hardware will be invaluable for development." The ex-Speaker brings both hands together and weaves the fingers. "Break Lovecraft's grip on Alamaoan tech and promote extra-terrestrial relations. Two birds..."

    Effect: Speaker Philips is attempting to draw you into agreement with his plan. He could be a valuable ally- but he is also a savvy politician and may view you as a tool to improve his position in the new government. This will be a Complication (Let's Make a Deal).
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSolo+Aim to Please+Business Expert+Shot At Lovecraft Stunt - (1d6+1d8+1d8+1d8) (6) (3) (7) (8) [24] (15 with a d8 effect)
    Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    "Our founding principles guide us a bit on data collection," Gus replies with a smile. "Or at least they did, when we had founding principles. I'm not opposed to registration. It's important information to know, especially in light of what's out there," he explains, "but it's all just talk, now. There can be no agreement until Alamaoa is rebuilt. It's the kind of thing that you could maybe sell the population on, but it'll be delicate and you need the right salesman. You're right to be afraid, though, General. The aliens I met were not evil, but terrifying nonetheless. The only reason I survived the encounter at all is because I'm metahuman. And I've got their vague memories of other aliens. Some who are evil. If our planet—this beautiful blue speck—is to be prepared for what's out there, we've got to all be on the same page."

    "I can't promise you any information because I don't know what regime loyalists might have done to government databases. I can't promise that we'll be sharing much more than topline statistics until I know what the Alamaoan public will tolerate." Plus there's the risk of giving the Haulians information that makes Alamaoa vulnerable to a first strike. "And everything—everything—that I just said is true, whether I trust you or not. And you're right—I don't. But I promise that, as attaché to the Kala'thuumian Ambassador to Tertia, as metahuman, and as a loyal Alamaoan, I will do everything I can to foster a dialogue between your people and mine."

    He doesn't bother trying to read anything more than Belousov's body language, remembering that he's up against a wiser, weathered version of Silence.

    Enfield: Gus Green (public) / K'tzir (public)
    Plot Points: 1
    Trauma: D6 Mental
    "Hm. I suppose it would be too much to ask your people to cooperate with a massive government effort so soon after their newfound freedom," he grumbles, and draws out a paper with a series of numbers on it. "However, you should know that we have recorded a steep increase in power awakening. Tertia will be more meta than not in two, perhaps three, generations."

    The academic report he slides across to you supports his claim through percentage increases across decades- though you have no idea whether he's forged it or not. There's no way of telling by his eternal frown, at least. "Such an increase can only be supported by a strong legal system to define what metahumans can and cannot do with their powers- otherwise, we will have your... what is it? 'Wild West'?" The General is assured in his statements, drawing out an expensive-looking cigar and preparing to light it.

    Mentor waits for you to study the paper, and then quietly looks it over himself. The contents unsettle him, and he leans back in his chair, deep in thought.

    This prompts the only thing approaching a smile the General has shown so far. "I can provide more information, in exchange for similar in the future. We study our people, yes. But by protecting group rights, we protect personal rights, and vice versa. Alamaoans tend not to understand that. It's up to you whether you'd like to take my advice now... or later. Think it over."
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    "It's... an option, yes," Dorian says with a nod. "But, it's not without drawbacks... alot of supers often discover their powers through severe emotional stress and trauma, and I know the case is the same for you, Gale." He bows his head slightly. "Even if you forget that you have your powers, your body will not. And should an event come to pass that requires you to defend yourself... your body will act on its own, and could cause severe damage without intending to."

    He sighs and shakes his head, "Even going through that, it won't stop people from trying to hunt you down... especially those who have the means to track you technologically. I have no doubts that Lovecraft would be more than happy to get his hands on you, and I shudder to think to what end." He pauses, thinking for a moment. "We'd have to completely erase your powers from you in order to ensure your safety, if that's even possible. Vlad is powerful, and I may even be able to assist, but that would be an incredible effort for something that might not work in the end."

    He pauses once more. "We are not well equipped to take care of you two, it's true. Especially with how rapidly the world is changing right now. But if you'd let, I'd throw my entire being into making sure you two are better off than you are right now. Regardless of your decision."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None
    Gale draws back a bit, unsure of what to do. "I-I don't know for sure if I want my powers or not. But if there's any way for me to not be the person I was before-to forget everything I did while I was Gale Force, I'd like that."

    "I have little life experience," Max says, "But trying to escape who you are is a bad idea. What you need to do is change. The hard part about that is that there are some people who will never believe you and never forgive you. You can't let that stop you from becoming a better person." He points at himself, boosting Nuclear's position on his lap. "Maybe someday someone will kill me for doing something that they didn't like. But if they do, I'll die a better man than the cowardly child I was four years ago."

    "Hmph. I wonder if you would have forgiven Supreme had he chosen to do the same thing," Blue Sparrow uncrosses her arms.

    "He didn't, so I didn't. Now either start helping the abused orphans or shut your smug trap and brood elsewhere, Blue Falcon." Max snaps back, breaking Blue Sparrow's composure. She quietly excuses herself, and you can hear running.

    Doom Pool: 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 1
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 06-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •