Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Act 4, Scene 1- Picking Up the Pieces

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,365
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkisnotEvil View Post
    Authentic Forum Dice-rolltalky combat - (1d8+1d8+1d10) (2) (6) (10) [18] (A hilariously incompetent 4 total with d6 effect. The Asset is stepped up to D10, representing the lawyer's fumble making you look better.)
    "We DON'T want to listen to the Snake Society," the lawyer huffs, obviously unsettled by your accusation. "But we can't afford to even look as if we're overly favoring the Roto: It gives someone like Dynamo a perfect speaking point for our 'incompetence'." He pounds a fist on the table in anger and sorrow before resting his head in its palm. "This is politics- It doesn't matter whether we're ACTUALLY giving you handouts, they just need to fudge the facts enough to make it look like we are."

    "Then we focus on what the Roto give in this give-and-take," Philips offers soothingly, looking over the assembled lawyers, public stewards, and help staff. "They certainly have technology. Tech for resources will create a good platform to work with. We pay them for their equipment, and they teach us how to use it while repairing their ship." He looks to you as he makes his next statement, as he has heard of your public anger against Lovecraft. "There's another reason why we need new technology- Lovecraft has surely built software and hardware back doors into anything he had access to while he was the head of tech. His notes on Roto hardware will be invaluable for development." The ex-Speaker brings both hands together and weaves the fingers. "Break Lovecraft's grip on Alamaoan tech and promote extra-terrestrial relations. Two birds..."

    Effect: Speaker Philips is attempting to draw you into agreement with his plan. He could be a valuable ally- but he is also a savvy politician and may view you as a tool to improve his position in the new government. This will be a Complication (Let's Make a Deal).
    [roll1] (15 with a d8 effect)

    Doom Pool: 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 1

    Forcefox hesitates. This may not be her field of expertise but tech and science is and she's very aware of things not being as easy as all that, or as safe.
    I can't just give you roto tech. First off all, that's really not my decision to make, but more importantly handing over advanced tech is dangerous and can lead to the exact opposite of what we're trying to achieve here. What I can offer is that I personally will make myself available to root out Lovecraft's hold on the Alamaoan system AND I'm sure that I can arrange it so that some of the roto can start to teach certain humans the foundations of advanced micro-engineering, medicine and software coding. Preferably professors in those fields which you vet and who can then pass on that knowledge. That way we can all rest easy in the knowledge nothing is going to explode because we gave you the equivalent of a nuclear reactor without telling you how it works first.
    Now, as for the tech and knowledge Lovecraft stole as he tortured one of my people... That could be viewed as the result of illegal and inhumane acts of espionage against my people. The roto realize this is the fault of the last administration; part of the reason why I terminated Supreme. But it might be best not to acknowledge having that or using it too much in order to safeguard our budding relationship.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,365
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  3. #13

    Default

    "There is always room to improve, so long as you keep at it," Dorian agrees, looking back briefly at the running Blue Sparrow. On the one hand, he wasn't exactly a fan of the way Max handled that, but at the same time, she was doing more harm than good. It was better that she left. "That's the whole reason why we got ourselves involved in this battle in the first place. We can always do better... for ourselves, for others, and for the planet we live on. It's not going to be easy, but if we work hard enough, it's going to be worth it."

    "I feel like it'll be better if you sleep on this, rather than just make a decision so quickly. But if you really feel that want to go with your plan... we'll help you."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    3,690
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkisnotEvil View Post
    "Hm. I suppose it would be too much to ask your people to cooperate with a massive government effort so soon after their newfound freedom," he grumbles, and draws out a paper with a series of numbers on it. "However, you should know that we have recorded a steep increase in power awakening. Tertia will be more meta than not in two, perhaps three, generations."

    The academic report he slides across to you supports his claim through percentage increases across decades- though you have no idea whether he's forged it or not. There's no way of telling by his eternal frown, at least. "Such an increase can only be supported by a strong legal system to define what metahumans can and cannot do with their powers- otherwise, we will have your... what is it? 'Wild West'?" The General is assured in his statements, drawing out an expensive-looking cigar and preparing to light it.

    Mentor waits for you to study the paper, and then quietly looks it over himself. The contents unsettle him, and he leans back in his chair, deep in thought.

    This prompts the only thing approaching a smile the General has shown so far. "I can provide more information, in exchange for similar in the future. We study our people, yes. But by protecting group rights, we protect personal rights, and vice versa. Alamaoans tend not to understand that. It's up to you whether you'd like to take my advice now... or later. Think it over."

    Doom Pool:
    2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 1
    Enfield leafs through the report long enough to get its major points, and hands it to Mentor. "Respectfully," Gus addresses General Belousov, "I am in no position to bargain or agree to anything. But I will consider your advice, and we," he gestures to Mentor, "will bring it up with the Alamaoan government, such as it is." He smiles the friendliest smile he can muster, and looks around. "Now, I think this offer would go over better if Haulian troops were removed from Alamaoan soil, but I hope that you will stay here as our guest, General."




  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Forcefox hesitates. This may not be her field of expertise but tech and science is and she's very aware of things not being as easy as all that, or as safe.
    I can't just give you roto tech. First off all, that's really not my decision to make, but more importantly handing over advanced tech is dangerous and can lead to the exact opposite of what we're trying to achieve here. What I can offer is that I personally will make myself available to root out Lovecraft's hold on the Alamaoan system AND I'm sure that I can arrange it so that some of the roto can start to teach certain humans the foundations of advanced micro-engineering, medicine and software coding. Preferably professors in those fields which you vet and who can then pass on that knowledge. That way we can all rest easy in the knowledge nothing is going to explode because we gave you the equivalent of a nuclear reactor without telling you how it works first.
    Now, as for the tech and knowledge Lovecraft stole as he tortured one of my people... That could be viewed as the result of illegal and inhumane acts of espionage against my people. The roto realize this is the fault of the last administration; part of the reason why I terminated Supreme. But it might be best not to acknowledge having that or using it too much in order to safeguard our budding relationship.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    Reaction: Authentic Forum Dice-rollSolo+Aim to Please+Business Expert - (1d6+1d8+1d8) (1) (6) (5) [12]
    "Of course," the lawyer attempts to break any implications that he's exploiting the situation by ceding to your request (Complication Successful). "I just wanted to put the suggestion forward. For all of his evil, Lovecraft was still the foremost technological mind of the era- He's certain to have hidden away secrets he thought were beyond 'inferior minds'- that being everyone other than him. If nothing else, we need to make sure he hasn't hidden some immediate danger among his work. I don't know Roto ethics on using technology developed by the enemy, but your friends may be more willing to use the knowledge than you are."

    He offers the following, hoping that you're not planning on going up against Lovecraft alone: "Unless you want to retrieve all the information yourself, those laboratories of his are sure to be deathtraps. I'm sure there's something there that we can convince part of the standing militia to help you retrieve. Even for all of his paranoia, we know where some of his 'lairs' are: We can send engineers and soldiers to help you clear the way and pick up all of his machines. They have a degree of access and knowledge of the layout."
    (SFX: I Know People- He's offering to buy off the D8 Complication via granting you a D6 Resource (Tech or Science))
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJentleman View Post
    "There is always room to improve, so long as you keep at it," Dorian agrees, looking back briefly at the running Blue Sparrow. On the one hand, he wasn't exactly a fan of the way Max handled that, but at the same time, she was doing more harm than good. It was better that she left. "That's the whole reason why we got ourselves involved in this battle in the first place. We can always do better... for ourselves, for others, and for the planet we live on. It's not going to be easy, but if we work hard enough, it's going to be worth it."

    "I feel like it'll be better if you sleep on this, rather than just make a decision so quickly. But if you really feel that want to go with your plan... we'll help you."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None
    Gale is overeager to make a decision- anything to resolve the tension that comes with her guilt and newfound freedom. Ultimately, she relents, "I'll wait..." she sits back on the bed and closes her eyes. "I just don't want to live my whole life being afraid."

    "I won't let people hunt you down," Max asserts. "But pretending to be brave is worse than being scared sometimes."

    Your pep talk seems to be enough to quiet them- soon after, the two drift off, not even bothering to get under covers. Max stands guard near them, himself still battered from the fight and the repeated exhaustion he's recently received.

    Vlad stands by, hands clasped. "I am sure the hidden world will be interested to find out about the power shift as well. We'll have to keep our guard up for rogue magicians."
    Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    Enfield leafs through the report long enough to get its major points, and hands it to Mentor. "Respectfully," Gus addresses General Belousov, "I am in no position to bargain or agree to anything. But I will consider your advice, and we," he gestures to Mentor, "will bring it up with the Alamaoan government, such as it is." He smiles the friendliest smile he can muster, and looks around. "Now, I think this offer would go over better if Haulian troops were removed from Alamaoan soil, but I hope that you will stay here as our guest, General."
    "I suppose that's the best we can ask for now," he shrugs, cutting his cigar. "We will withdraw, having done what we went to do. Now, without the overhead of a supernaturally powerful dictator, Haulia can flourish in her proper splendor. Some of our factory heads are gearing up for major exports." Mentor raises an eyebrow, and the General responds in kind. "Come now, friend. It's not much of a stretch for Joseph Public to take the word of manufacturers that didn't sell out to the Regime. I recently test-drove a new car model directly off the line. Efficient, quiet, a good value. It's no alien technology, certainly, but it's certainly next-generation." That last statement tips off Enfield that the General knew about Lovecraft's experiments on the Roto called Green Scout. Perhaps he has some insight on Forcefox's extra-terrestrial background that even she doesn't.

    Mentor excuses himself with a mumble, stepping into a washroom temporarily and returning. K'tzir can tell that Force's mind swims with fears of Haulia- more specifically, the General- grabbing up influence in the power vacuum.


    Doom Pool: 2d6
    Scene Distinctions: Now What?, The Dream Reborn, Times Are Changing
    Next Up: Forcefox, Dorian, Gus
    Opportunities: 1
    Last edited by DarkisnotEvil; 06-13-2019 at 08:47 AM.

    Sadiyah
    :
    Investigator 3- Athelos Rising


  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,365
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Alright. That sounds like a sound plan. I will happily accept any help offered to take out Lovecraft's legacy. She nods and agrees, offering a hand to the former senator. So... What else? The objection of the roto receiving aid over humans has been remedied. We have the start of an agreement to work together to root out whatever Lovecraft left behind. We can all agree that establishing a roto embassy isn't a job for the first few months at least so we'll put that on hold. Forcefox spreads her hands and looks around the room, inviting anyone to speak up.
    Maybe this is a good photo opportunity? she offers hopefully.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  7. #17

    Default

    "There will be plenty of people who will see this as an opportunity," Haven agrees with a nod. "We must be vigilant, otherwise we will get blindsided." He looks over to Max and his condition and shakes his head. "You need some rest too, Max. You've had a long day, and tomorrow probably won't be too kind either. You need to keep your strength up."

    Spirit Haven: Dorian Black (Secret?)
    Plot Points: 2
    Stress: None

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •