Page 7 of 155 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 9: OOC

1. Default

A campfire in the dark would be noticeable for quite a ways--have ya never seen Lord of the Rings?

Would placing a bunch of torches together in a unlit campfire be lightable with a sacred flame in one round?

Having the humans camp near the horses could also help if orcs, etc come near.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    I think we risk a light. An ambush in the dark will be devastating.

(Um yes... and ive lived near some of that bush.... its quite dense in places.... so much so that its nearly impossible to walk through)

Hrothgar will also enlist some of the gauntlets and anyone else willing to help to grab whatever fallen logs/Rocks etc that are around the "camp" to be organised into makeshift barricade/cover, should it be needed. Assuming its piled high enough... that also helps block any ground observation of flame from torches/campfire.

(basically just trying to make sections of difficult terrain, between trees that would make it hard for any enemy to approach from any direction with impunity, or at least from the fort in a half-circle around the camp, it would at least work to slow them down, or make it ridiculously hard for them to get through soundlessly..... thanks to rustling leaves, snapping twigs etc.)

The horses will be hobbled at the rearmost edge of the camp ... or at least the most downwind edge of the camp..... unless you want to aid the 'enemy' into smelling them from a mile off?

Also he said you saw Tree Orcs in the fort towers.... perhaps Kal should watch from up a tree.... or Alyssa.... (possibly a couple of the gauntlets if they have anyone who will not fall out of a tree) they might be then able to spot any approach from above so to speak.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Rian will help carry brush, logs, rocks. Whatever is needed to build up the camp and obscure it from view.

4. Default

it's pretty dense here when I've gone hunting and I've noted other campfire's first by smell, then hearing and then sight. I could smell a campfire in the wild from a mile away, it's not like anything else. I go hunting up here:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ca...4d-148.9508332

5. Default

If only we could find a cave that wasn't a certain death trap

Default Chapter 9: OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    it's pretty dense here when I've gone hunting and I've noted other campfire's first by smell, then hearing and then sight. I could smell a campfire in the wild from a mile away, it's not like anything else. I go hunting up here:

You donít have to burn a fire to have a light. You could of course, or you could use a spell.

I am going to roll at night for what happens. There are truly pros and cons to a light. It would help you with watches but if someone does stumble upon you it would certainly make you easy to spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A campfire in the dark would be noticeable for quite a ways--have ya never seen Lord of the Rings?

Would placing a bunch of torches together in a unlit campfire be lightable with a sacred flame in one round?

Having the humans camp near the horses could also help if orcs, etc come near.
    You could certainly rig up something that you could quickly light. Sacred flame seems to only let you target creatures as I read it. I guess you could target some torches but since a torch canít make a saving throw, I would probably say you need an attack rolls to get the sweet spot to light them all. Otherwise you would not light all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scymon View Post
    (Um yes... and ive lived near some of that bush.... its quite dense in places.... so much so that its nearly impossible to walk through)

Hrothgar will also enlist some of the gauntlets and anyone else willing to help to grab whatever fallen logs/Rocks etc that are around the "camp" to be organised into makeshift barricade/cover, should it be needed. Assuming its piled high enough... that also helps block any ground observation of flame from torches/campfire.

(basically just trying to make sections of difficult terrain, between trees that would make it hard for any enemy to approach from any direction with impunity, or at least from the fort in a half-circle around the camp, it would at least work to slow them down, or make it ridiculously hard for them to get through soundlessly..... thanks to rustling leaves, snapping twigs etc.)

The horses will be hobbled at the rearmost edge of the camp ... or at least the most downwind edge of the camp..... unless you want to aid the 'enemy' into smelling them from a mile off?

Also he said you saw Tree Orcs in the fort towers.... perhaps Kal should watch from up a tree.... or Alyssa.... (possibly a couple of the gauntlets if they have anyone who will not fall out of a tree) they might be then able to spot any approach from above so to speak.
    It is already semi dark. You can certainly gather things and rig up what you can trap wise. You would need a light spell to do so effectively, and there is no reason to believe that 10-20 minutes of a non burning light source will be an issue given PWT. If you keep it on for over an hour or so, then youíre risking a lot more.

Looks nice and peaceful...

On the plus side... NZ Forests doesn't have bears, wolves, and other large predators .... and our most poisonous spider is a black widow.....

You're more likely to wake up with a giant weta trying to crawl into your sleeping bag.... those buggers are big... and creepy!

Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Quote Originally Posted by Scymon View Post
    Looks nice and peaceful...

On the plus side... NZ Forests doesn't have bears, wolves, and other large predators .... and our most poisonous spider is a black widow.....

You're more likely to wake up with a giant weta trying to crawl into your sleeping bag.... those buggers are big... and creepy!
    About 1.5 years ago I booked a trip to Belize for me and my wife. Our first trip away from the kids. Half of Belize is ancient ruins/jungle mix and half is beach resort. We started in the jungle and all was well until the 3rd night when my wife found an 6-8 inch long grasshopper on our bedroom curtains of our little jungle lodge. We were heading to the beach the next day.

I had to look up what a weta was but that was what it reminded me of.

Last edited by zebsen; 05-30-2019 at 02:18 AM.

Page 7 of 155 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast