Page 73 of 155 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 9: OOC

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    How close can I get in stealth before I can be heard? I would like a range.
    I don't think there are ranges for when something like this comes up:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...rception-range

A lot would depend on background sound. If it was dead quiet, you could hear a dry twig snap at 300 feet, but if there was a party going on in the fort, you could play bongo drums as you advanced and likely not be heard.

Given they are on high alert and not going to be making a ton of noise as a general rule, you aren't sure if you could make enough noise to be heard at the edge of the woods. Probably not, but there is no way to know for sure.

I know I'm being vague, but your character would know either if whatever noise he's making might travel all the way to the fort or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    I mean in relation to the perimeter of the fort.
    The road itself is ~10 feet of path cut through thick forest. Where the fort is now, once was a resting area built by travelers. The ogres/bugbears/orcs have "upgraded" it to a fort and are the only reason that there is a clearing 300' on each side of the fort (which is only 200' to the north, not 300'). In short, there are no nearby clearings that are any larger than 10-20' in size that are naturally occurring, excluding the road and cut area that you've seen. You could always make one, but it would take time and certainly wouldn't be quiet.

This is part of the challenge. There is no easy path around the fort without adding days onto the trek given the surrounding area. The woods could be avoided altogether, but most caravans wouldn't want to pick an alternate route any where near a fortified enemy stronghold. There is always a risk of a patrol/ambush.
    Last edited by zebsen; 07-19-2019 at 03:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    We definitely leveled. The original players were only 725xp away. I did a rough calculation and we would have gotten the xp against the very first encounter that was 6 v 6 (the GG were fighting a second group). Add in all the other monsters and I can't see any way where we didn't level to 7.
    The original encounter would be 400 EXP each (2400 experience divided by 6) if I just do 6 on 6. That's 3 CR 1/2 (100 EXP) and three CR 3 (700 each) creatures.

The most recent one is much harder to calculate. The total experience was 13 CR 1/2 (1300) plus two ogres (CR 2 or 450 each). That's 2200 exp, but if I divide it by all parties (12 GG and 6 of you), that's 122 EXP each.

So, that's 522 EXP.

Someone mentioned a difficulty multiplier, but that's just for balancing encounters, not to apply to rewarded experience as best I can tell:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...r-not-to-split

Also, the dead get an experience share by that above link as well.

If you can show me where I messed this up, I'll gladly rethink it, but I don't see any more experience that I'm missing here.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    The original encounter would be 400 EXP each (2400 experience divided by 6) if I just do 6 on 6. That's 3 CR 1/2 (100 EXP) and three CR 3 (700 each) creatures.

The most recent one is much harder to calculate. The total experience was 13 CR 1/2 (1300) plus two ogres (CR 2 or 450 each). That's 2200 exp, but if I divide it by all parties (12 GG and 6 of you), that's 122 EXP each.

So, that's 522 EXP.

Someone mentioned a difficulty multiplier, but that's just for balancing encounters, not to apply to rewarded experience as best I can tell:

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questi...r-not-to-split

Also, the dead get an experience share by that above link as well.

If you can show me where I messed this up, I'll gladly rethink it, but I don't see any more experience that I'm missing here.
    I will comment on my own post here.

I can sense this fort battle is not highly rewarding at this point. I've likely screwed up the rules on cover/concealment/etc. There were more enemies than you can manage. In order to make a standard orc/ogre/bugbear battle more bearable, I opted to go with custom monsters from a supplement. Yes, some of their abilities are too powerful and aren't reflected in the CR.

My point is that I'm not trying to be a dick about ~200 EXP. If it will help appease things, I don't mind awarding you a level by saying the CRs are under-rated. Hopefully that will help smooth things over.

I have been working on what would eventually happen with the fort (assuming you take it), and hopefully the rewards will be worth it. For what it's worth, the fort has been the least amount of fun that I've had DMing this game so far. It wasn't what I was hoping for. Some of it, I was expecting you to handle differently. Most of it is simply my fault for not planning it better.

5. Default

That was my mistake. I was wrong. According to the DMG you do not increase the xp award despite the increased difficulty of the battle.

That said, I think the CR would increase as these enemies had a dexterity of 16 and the bugbears had poison arrows. The ogres had a very nice buff with an AC of 16 which is 5 points above a standard ogre. I think that would be enough of an xp increase to get the original players over the threshold for level 7.

I can sense this fort battle is not highly rewarding at this point. I've likely screwed up the rules on cover/concealment/etc. There were more enemies than you can manage. In order to make a standard orc/ogre/bugbear battle more bearable, I opted to go with custom monsters from a supplement. Yes, some of their abilities are too powerful and aren't reflected in the CR.

My point is that I'm not trying to be a dick about ~200 EXP. If it will help appease things, I don't mind awarding you a level by saying the CRs are under-rated. Hopefully that will help smooth things over.

I have been working on what would eventually happen with the fort (assuming you take it), and hopefully the rewards will be worth it. For what it's worth, the fort has been the least amount of fun that I've had DMing this game so far. It wasn't what I was hoping for. Some of it, I was expecting you to handle differently. Most of it is simply my fault for not planning it better.

6. Default

Don't forget that the enemies which survived gained XP from killing the Golden Gauntlet! The catapult must have leveled up...
    Last edited by Hideous; 07-19-2019 at 05:18 AM.

7. Default

Taking crap from pissed players is part of a DM's job

I think the basic reason why some of us--or maybe just me are aggravated, is that I'm trying to play a game on set rules, so when I go into a scenario with certain preconceived notions as to what basic rules are being used and when they get changed or explained in a different manner and I'm punished for that because I should have expected the unexpected, then it kinda pisses me off. I know the rules for cover, so when it was explained in such a different manner and you stuck to that new interpretation after we were already stuck in, it pisses me off. It makes me feel like it's the DM versus the players and it's made to make us feel inferior or that the DM wants us to lose. I've known Mike for a bit, and I can truly say that in no way does he run his game like that, ever. However, it sure does suck when it feels that way

This has been a tough battle because of the terrain. No one likes difficult terrain and I think we, or I, just couldn't wrap my head around a forest that didn't provide cover unless you tried to hide. Anyways, lets see what our full frontal charge, guns ablazin', attack does in the morning.

8. Default

Hearing ranges! Found this on the 5e DM's screen!

Audible Distance
    Trying to be quiet 2d6 x 5 feet
    Normal noise level 2d6 x 10 feet
    Very loud 2d6 x 50 feet

So I would say someone trying to use Stealth would be trying to be quiet and invisible wouldn't be detectable until 2d6x5'

Also, I think perception checks against Invisible targets are made at disadvantage, attacks too, whereas the invisible person makes attacks at advantage--no advantage on stealth--which I think is crazy, but that limitation on the hearing checks kinda makes up for it.
    Last edited by Luopo; 07-19-2019 at 07:37 AM.

9. Default

From the DM's screen--Whats the weather like?

d20 Temperature
    1-14 Normal for the season
    15-17 1d4 x 10 degrees Fahrenheit colder than normal
    18-20 1d4 x 10 degrees Fahrenheit hotter than normal

d20 Wind
    1-12 None
    13-17 Light
    18-20 Strong

d20 Precipitation
    1-12 None
    13-17 Light rain or light snowfall
    18-20 Heavy rain or heavy snowfall