Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 230 of 283

Thread: Chapter 9: The Xanthar Stronghold

  1. #221
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Seeing the ogre drop and the various arrows etc flying into the fleeing orcs, Hrothgar laughs clearly enjoying the utter chaos happening all around him, his smile is only dimmed by the stone from the catapult careening into the GGs. He rears the horse waving his glaive like a demented felon....obscenities following from his lips that would impress even the stauchiest dwarf, all directed at the ears of the headhunter and his witch. As Brandons second fireball finds its mark, he gives one last roar of promise before turning his horse back to the forest and its beaconing cover.

  2. #222

    Default

    Alyssa continues to gallop forward. She draws back her bow and targets the fleeing orcs. One of her arrows connects, killing the fleeing orc. Her second shot misses its mark. She manages to be next to Brandon.

    Kalthanar grits his teeth. The casualties were mounting. He once again sacrifices accuracy for damage. The high elf aims for the exposed head of the ogre manning the catapult. One of his shots connects to the neck area of the ogre causing him to jump with a mixture of surprise and pain. With the aid of Reorx, Kalthanar’s second shot also connects doing more damage to the stunned ogre.

    Vortigern smiles in satisfaction as he sees both of Kalthanar’s shots connect. He then prepares a bolt of his own from Vera. When he pulls the trigger, he hears a snapping sound from Vera. Looking down, his fears are confirmed, as Dr Boom’s experimental spring has snapped, rendering his beloved crossbow at least briefly useless.

    Brandon spurs his horse back towards the fort once more, and charges forward 50 feet. He drops his last fireball right over the edge of the middle of the southern wall at the ogre's eye level. The blast ripples around the wall of the fort, capturing both ogres. The wall and what little can be seen of the catapult catch fire and immediately begin to burn. One to three foot flames dance from the center of the wall, further obscuring the ogres behind them. Brandon then begins retreating again.

    He then turns and spurs his horse back in the direction of the forest once more finishing 20’ south of where he was seconds ago.

    Seeing the ogre drop and the various arrows etc flying into the fleeing orcs, Hrothgar laughs clearly enjoying the utter chaos happening all around him, his smile is only dimmed by the stone from the catapult careening into the GGs. He rears the horse waving his glaive like a demented felon....obscenities following from his lips that would impress even the stauchiest dwarf, all directed at the ears of the headhunter and his witch. As Brandons second fireball finds its mark, he gives one last roar of promise before turning his horse back to the forest and its beaconing cover.

    Rian turns and also begins retreating back to the forest.

    The remaining Golden Gauntlet fire one last volley at the lone orc, but their minds are clearly elsewhere as only one shot connects. They wheel their horses around and charge south for the safety of the forest.

    Behind the fort, the witch can be heard praying to some unknown god or goddess. Seconds later, water is heard pouring on the catapult and some of the wall. Vortigern recognizes the miracle as create water. Steam rises in the air and some of the wall, mostly the center area, seems lessened.

    Seeing the damage that Brandon is doing, the bugbears rise up and fire at Brandon. Despite the distance, both shots connect with him. The shots are too much for him, and he slumps in his horse, nearly falling out.

    Seeing the sorcerer down, the orcs spread their shots out. Rian’s armor protects him from a shot, while Galmund and Hrothgar take minor damage.

    The enemies again retreat out of sight, and this time the ogres duck down as well, leaving a lone orc moving back to the wall as the only visible target briefly.

    OOC: no map tonight. Sorry.

    Hrothgar -5 HP con save DC 14 or be poisoned.
    Brandon: dying, and definitely poisoned.

  3. Default

    Alyssa rides after Brandon and closes the distance to the dying sorcerer. She calls upon Habbakuk and touches a glowing hand to his person.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollHeal - (1d8+2) (5) [7]

    OOC: cast cure light wounds. EDIT - Alyssa will urge her mount forward back to the forest assuming her spell gets Brandon up again.
    Last edited by Spellblade; 07-16-2019 at 12:33 PM.

  4. Default

    Kalthanar holds his shot until the moment the bugbear archers appear.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollSharpshooter - (1d20+10-5+1d4) (16) (4) [25]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage - (1d8+15) (4) [19]

    OOC: ready action to shoot the most wounded bugbear when it appears (or the wounded ogre by the catapult or finally the orc archers). If nothing leaps up again then shoot the fleeing orc.

  5. Default

    The Golden Gauntlet dig their heels into their mounts as they hellride for the protection of the forest.

  6. Default

    Rian also pulls his mount up next to Brandon and uses lay on hands to channel all of his healing power into his comrade.

    OOC: Lay on Hands for 30 HP and then urge his mount back to the forest.

  7. Default

    With half a dozen arrows sticking out his back, legs, and chest, Brandon is suddenly healed and his eyes blink open. He sees Rian and Alyssa turning and spurring their horses in retreat, and he joins them. It’s not until they reach the cover of the trees that Brandon thanks them.

  8. #228

    Default Chapter 9: The Xanthar Stronghold

    As the Sentinels and Golden Gauntlet retreat to regroup from the zone surrounding the fort, Kalthanar kills another bugbear that pokes his head up to attack.

    Learning from their dead comrades, the fort inhabitants seem to concentrate on throwing water and dirt onto the wall section from behind it, attempting to put it out. The sounds of the catapult can still be heard as it is being readied again for another launch.

    The lone orc in the death zone reaches the wall and throws himself over the edge of it, taking minor burn damage from the smoldering area that he touches.

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by zebsen; 07-17-2019 at 04:41 PM.

  9. Default

    Vortigern, disappointed in the integrity of his crossbow, slings it over his shoulder, then mounts his horse nearby. Motioning Bernie to follow him, Vort follows along after the GG and retreats farther into the forest to avoid any future ranged attacks.

  10. #230

    Default

    Rian says, "Let's use the retreat of the Golden Gauntlets to try and draw the denizens of the fort out once more." The paladin says, "Make their retreat noisy. We hide and ambush any that come out to follow. We don't attack until they're more than half to us. Or we retreat or we retreat and return."

Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •