Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turn

Default Turn

I assume this is a 5 day turn for a work week. Please ask any questions. I expect a lot of spells here. If you want to play anything out let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default Kalthanar

1. The immediate priority is to have Brandon request assistance with the legend lore scroll so that it can be cast on True Courage in the special room.

2. Can Kalthanar use the scroll himself? Can Brandon use the help action to improve his chance?
    Last edited by Spellblade; 05-06-2019 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spellblade View Post
    1. The immediate priority is to have Brandon request assistance with the legend lore scroll so that it can be cast on True Courage in the special room.

2. Can Kalthanar use the scroll himself? Can Brandon use the help action to improve his chance?
    My original intent was to have Kalthanar use it. As I originally read the DMG version of scrolls, the whole "any creature that can understand a written language can read the arcane script on a scroll and attempt to activate it" really confused me. I realize that this is contradicted in the PHB, where only Vort can use it. I keep debating making a house rule here, but I would rather not set a precedent that could imbalance things regarding spell scrolls. Kalthanar casting legend lore isn't game breaking. Opening the door for Hrothgar to cast a scroll of Meteor Swarm is the larger challenge (yes, this is an extreme example for humor only).

To use the help action here, someone would need to be able to read it. Only Vort could do so, so the "help" action is out.

So, after thinking about this for a bit and not liking my options your choices are:
    -having Vort read the scroll. His spell casting ability isn't high. He could use the ring to help, but there is still a decent chance that it would fail.
    -paying someone else to read it for you. I'm not sure how much to charge here. For guaranteed success (Kyricus), I think 100 gold is fair since it only takes minutes of his time. You're paying for his level. For someone at lower level (but that would need a roll to invoke the scroll), it would be 50 gold for successful use. No fee if they fail.
    -to use the chamber specifically, the service is 100 gold per use. An (additional) arcana roll is needed to get the vision. Failing the arcana roll still uses 100 gold and still lets the scroll function normally, but doesn't give a vision.

Let me know what questions you have, and how you want to do this.
    Last edited by zebsen; 05-06-2019 at 03:15 PM.

4. Default

Could Kyricus cast Rary’s Telepathic Bond so that Kalthanar could share the vision?

Could Kyricus cast Rary’s Telepathic Bond so that Kalthanar could share the vision?
    Yes. It's an extra 100 gold. He could link as many Sentinels as possible this way. Or you could try to save coin and have Vort try it and just pay for the Rary's spell.

6. Default

Vort won't do it. He's sulking because no one has asked him to do it, preferring Brandon or even paying Kyricus to do it, so he will refuse.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen View Post
    Yes. It's an extra 100 gold. He could link as many Sentinels as possible this way. Or you could try to save coin and have Vort try it and just pay for the Rary's spell.

Quote Originally Posted by Luopo View Post
    Vort won't do it. He's sulking because no one has asked him to do it, preferring Brandon or even paying Kyricus to do it, so he will refuse.
    I think this is all OOC questions to weigh options. Brandon would know that he couldn't do it. Wes is clearly trying to figure out what his options are. I don't think that the intention is to avoid Vort. As a DM, that certainly wasn't my intention. I am trying to figure out how much to charge someone to read a scroll for 5 minutes of time that only a high level NPC can read effectively. Perhaps I'm undercharging for this, but there aren't many guidelines on how much 5 minutes of time for a high level NPC would be worth. Regardless, I can't see how this would spill into IC, but if you chose not to cast it, I understand.

8. Default

So it will be 300gp for everything combined?

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen;[URL="tel:1258304"
    1258304[/URL]]Yes. It's an extra 100 gold. He could link as many Sentinels as possible this way. Or you could try to save coin and have Vort try it and just pay for the Rary's spell.

So it will be 300gp for everything combined?
    As I think about this, you're asking Kyricus to read the scroll (100 GP), but actually memorize a spell that he wouldn't otherwise memorize (Rary's). I think it's fair to charge more for that. 250 GP sounds right. Then 100 GP for the chamber.

So, I'm thinking 450 GP for this.

I'm open to thoughts on this pricing level.

Lastly, for Brandon to get a second casting (on the doorknob), he would need to pay:
    250 gold for the legend lore (that his background will negate)
    250 gold for the Rory's if he wants to witness it
    100 gold for the divination room.
    Last edited by zebsen; 05-06-2019 at 05:10 PM.

10. Default

It’s a little steep but I don’t want to pay full price if the vision fails.

Quote Originally Posted by zebsen;[URL="tel:1258321"
    1258321[/URL]]As I think about this, you're asking Kyricus to read the scroll (100 GP), but actually memorize a spell that he wouldn't otherwise memorize (Rary's). I think it's fair to charge more for that. 250 GP sounds right. Then 100 GP for the chamber.

So, I'm thinking 450 GP for this.

I'm open to thoughts on this pricing level.

Lastly, for Brandon to get a second casting (on the doorknob), he would need to pay:
    250 gold for the legend lore (that his background will negate)
    250 gold for the Rory's if he wants to witness it
    100 gold for the divination room.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast