Thread: Chapter 8.47B - Rebalancing the Scales.

Default Chapter 8.47B - Rebalancing the Scales.

Three days after their arrival in Xanthar, Hrothgar decides to return to the Balanced Scales.

As he approaches the Front Desk once more, he hopes that Vellona is once again seated there.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Hrothgar walks into the same desk area, but is disappointed that he doesn't see Vellona there today. A businesslike man in a suit sits at the desk. He looks up at Hrothgar when he visits and says, "Welcome to the Balanced Scales. Can I help you?"

A disappointed look briefly crosses his face before returning to his usual demeanor.

"Ah yes, I would like to speak to Henri if he is available. We viewed some items a few days ago and I wished to ask a few more questions about them."

He looks around for a moment. "and I was hoping to catch Vellona, I hope she is ok?"

Default Chapter 8.47B - Rebalancing the Scales.

The greeter shrugs and says, ďItís one of her days off.Ē He motions to one of the other wondering upper class merchants who goes to fetch Henri. While he waits, the greeter again stows Hrothgarís weapon on the floor.

After several minutes, Henri appears and offers Hrothgar some wine and motions the plainsman to follow him through some of the art exhibit. He says, ďWhat brings you back?Ē

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"I wanted to enquire more into those bracers. Mostly I was curious as to how long they had been for sale thus far vs how often someone might enquire about such things. For example if they have been sitting there for a long time, the owner may be willing to negotiate. I understand that you can't reveal who is the actual owner of them. And while I obviously don't have the gold for the item now. I'm sure that you are aware by now that The Sentinels are planning on removing a certain fort that is causing such grief and that we are the reason the Tower no longer burns. So we are already showing the makings of a lot of goodwill towards Xanthar. Perhaps you would be willing to consult with the owner about coming to some sort of arrangement or at least see if the owner is willing to hold the item for a set period of time, to give me the time to find the gold. Say.... a Year."

Henri says, "The bracers are relatively new as far as magic items go. Around a month, I believe."

He thinks on what Hrothgar said and replies, "You've mentioned some deeds that you accomplished, and I will be honest that I mostly wrote them off. We don't get a lot of traffic for our high end merchandise, but when we do, people will tell us anything they want to try to negotiate. I recently heard 'I need the map to locate the lost treasure of a dragon and can pay you 10 times what it's listed as now upon return'. The stories get more intriguing as the city becomes more isolated by powerful forces." He pauses and says, "However The Miser listed a contract about scouting the fort to the east, and mentioned the Sentinels. This intrigued me a bit, as he is an incredible businessman, and he's offering a lot of coin just to scout something for you. He obviously believes that at least part of your teams exploits are credible."

He pauses and says, "All negotiating for something like this is done via the Miser. Having said that, I can certainly offer to not sell the item to anyone else until your fort assault is completed. At that point, you could likely negotiate as well as anyone with him regarding some kind of deal. Of course... dying or failing to complete the task would... place the bracers back on the market." He smiles a bit at Hrothgar.
    Last edited by zebsen; 05-15-2019 at 01:24 PM.

Hrothgar laughs at the map story. "Oh aye, on his return... that would be rich for he would have no reason to return. And yes I can appreciate the difficulty in believing what I say, If I had not been there, I would struggle to believe it myself."

He offers his hand to shake, "But thank you Henri, I would appreciate it greatly if you could at least keep the Bracers reserved until the fort assault is done. I certainly hope we do not .... fail to complete the task, or die.... that would rather put a crimp in ones plans."

As he begins to make his way back towards the front desk to reclaim his weapons. He does add a bit more "I think I rather offended Vellona last time I visited. When you see her next please, pass on my apologies. I often forget my manners and speak before I think. My Cousin is often berating me for it. As it is, I would have offered to buy her dinner or at least a drink to make up for my crudeness, but it seems that it is her day off."

Henri and Hrothgar shake hands and part ways.

The man nods and smiles but says nothing more as Hrothgar departs. He doesn't deliver the message to Vellona because if anyone was getting her into bed, he was certain it would be him and not that foreigner.