Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819

Thread: Mission: The crucible.

Blog Entries

"None of those things. I care for all of Mysthaven. In fact, the Red Flag is a quite integral part of this city. The situation in the Outskirts has become much more stable since they have begun to maintain order. Losing it would be very... Unfortunate. And I quite admire Vance's efforts and the manner he has gone about them. He also wasn't the one to start the White Star collapse. That accolade belongs to Ivan. As I said, I care for Mysthaven. That sentiment isn't compatible with the undead." he explains, then turns and with a wave of his hand enlarges the spheres again. "I have run simulations many times based on smaller scale experiments and it is clear that undead do indeed behave like a disease. They infect a society, and over time they spread and their influence grows. All in all they always split a society into 'priviledged undead' and lower castes of living slaves in the early stages of the infection." as he talks the spheres become darkened and the darkness seems to spread as he illustrates what he's saying. "Their influence and reach continues to spread and at one point the rate of living to undead becomes quite grotesque. At this point a culture dies. The undead have no creative abilities, they are anathema to themselves. No culture, no art, no evolution or change. The infected society becomes completely stagnant and unchanging. And as is the nature of things, stasis leads to entropy. In the end, though the undead themselves are the last to acknowledge it, they wither away into nothingness. It's death just the same, just a very long and boring one. And I'll be damned if I let Mysthaven undergo such a fate. However, there is a delicate balance to be preserved which makes giving you this information is the best way to reach what is best for Mysthaven."
    They wave the spheres back to their idle state.
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

Blog Entries

Default Mission: The crucible.

Natan's cheeks redden as the Despot's explanation of the scourge of the undead strikes a nerve. "What do your simulations say we will do with this information?"

Blog Entries

"They tell me that greed is a universal constant and is an excellent motivator. Especially when it can be justified under the guise of 'justice' or 'honor' or 'vengeance'." They reply matter of factly.
    Characters:

Campaigns:

Blog Entries

"Now back to the reason you are here." the despot switches topics suddenly. "Mysthaven has very few laws in and of itself. It relies on the parts that make up its whole to bring law and order. The laws that are there deal with basic organizational methods of guild, noble houses, religions, and free companies, as well as property laws, and tax law. However, messing with the planar integrity of Mysthaven carries extremely steep fines. As well as my displeasure though that is hardly relevant." the say, though the opposite is quite obviously true for that last statement.
    "However, I have something you can do to make up for this transgression." They keep on talking as they turn away and start inscribing glowing sigils in the air before them. "I'm a bit of a sentimentalist. Every once in a while in this city I come across some poor lost pup and I can't not help." they turn their head toward you and give a weird looking smile. "It's the eyes. They look at me with their big eyes and I just can't say no. But then what do I do with them? I can't take care of them. Can't give them the attention they need. So, if you could take in this lost foundling I'd be willing to wipe the slate clean." they finish their planar manipulation spell and open a portal to a small demiplane where time is slowed to a veritable crawl and out steps a massive drow woman, clad in solid quite spiky armor and armed with a fearsome blade. "Ida, meet your new family." they say as they motion with their long fingered hand towards the assembled members of the White Star.
    Characters:

Campaigns:

Relatively massive. Over six feet tall, likely due partially to the armor she's wearing, iridescent and adorned with spiders in traditional Drow heraldry. Her arms are exposed, showing heavy muscle, as well as shimmering dragon scales against the skin. Her hair is cut quite short, and an ornate crown adorns her head, silver eyes staring out at the group. The sword is almost as tall as she is, across her back, and two ropes at her shoulders are attached to a huge chest - probably all of her worldly positions inside the massive thing, which weighs over two hundred pounds by itself.

The fact that she's casually bearing it is perhaps the most perturbing thing of all. Looking over them, she frowns softly. "... a figure fallen becomes a Star, and takes another up in White... that makes some sense now, I suppose. A Free Company, though?" She looks toward the Despot, solemn. "I'm not sure it will be more than a temporary delay, unless all of my House were to be brought in. Political suicide at best." She doesn't seem to be distracted at all by the slow orbit of a light-blue stone around her head, either.
    Last edited by Theprettiestorc; 09-05-2019 at 05:04 PM.
    "A good speech should be like a woman's skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep people interested." -Winston Churchill

The very Prettiest Orc avatar done by the talented Letty Wilson.

Blog Entries

Tarsus looks at Ida, unfazed. "Right, then," he says, standing, "I suppose it's six of one, half a dozen of the other if we earn your ire or hers." He looks around himself as if to find the thoughts that had wandered out of his head. Upon finding none, he nods to the Despot. "Thank you for the audience," he says, with a slight bow of his head. "If there are no other questions from my team, we'll be on our way." Tarsus looks to the others and to Ida to see if there's anything pressing that would prevent them from leaving the chill of the Despot's company.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    "Now back to the reason you are here." the despot switches topics suddenly. "Mysthaven has very few laws in and of itself. It relies on the parts that make up its whole to bring law and order. The laws that are there deal with basic organizational methods of guild, noble houses, religions, and free companies, as well as property laws, and tax law. However, messing with the planar integrity of Mysthaven carries extremely steep fines. As well as my displeasure though that is hardly relevant." the say, though the opposite is quite obviously true for that last statement.
    "However, I have something you can do to make up for this transgression." They keep on talking as they turn away and start inscribing glowing sigils in the air before them. "I'm a bit of a sentimentalist. Every once in a while in this city I come across some poor lost pup and I can't not help." they turn their head toward you and give a weird looking smile. "It's the eyes. They look at me with their big eyes and I just can't say no. But then what do I do with them? I can't take care of them. Can't give them the attention they need. So, if you could take in this lost foundling I'd be willing to wipe the slate clean." they finish their planar manipulation spell and open a portal to a small demiplane where time is slowed to a veritable crawl and out steps a massive drow woman, clad in solid quite spiky armor and armed with a fearsome blade. "Ida, meet your new family." they say as they motion with their long fingered hand towards the assembled members of the White Star.
    "Actually, we can do it to thank you for the information you have provided us with, although it is really for our benefit to gain another member, especially if she is capable.", Oparal pauses, then continues,

"However, when dealing with the planar bleed, we were acting in your interest. We could have simply cut off that part of Mysthaven, but we were told you do not like when that happens, so we attempted and succeeded at stopping the bleed. Deification of Lamashtu was simply a consequence of us trying to stay alive against the horde of celestials trying to kill us all. If they succeeded, that part of the city would be lost to the Heaven. Not to mention that we prefer staying alive. If you stretch the definition of causality, you could say that we have caused a birth of a god, but then you could also say a fireman caused the death of fire victims because he chose to save the other ones. I refuse to be forgiven for a crime we are innocent of by any reasonable standard. It is a matter of principle.", she explains.

Blog Entries

"Oparal Aernelóth." the despot says dispassionately as he looks the arcanist up and down with his black eyes. "Then don't be forgiven. It matters naught to me. Hold your head up high and proud, and should you ever come to an end and there is nothing to sustain you except salt and vinegar see how much your hubris aids you then. Fare. Well." they conclude in their ever flat voice.
    Characters:

Campaigns:

Blog Entries

Oparal shakes her head wordlessly as she leaves. Unwilling to admit when it is wrong and then calling her prideful... No matter, it is not her obligation to correct personal flaws of every being they come into contact with, Lavinia was by her side once again and that was all that mattered.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819