Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 189

Thread: Mission: The crucible.

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,284
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Mission: The crucible.

    Synn decided to walk with the active members of the White Star to the location they had abandoned recently. It's early in the morning and the streets are quiet still with a slight chill in the air. The sky is open and cloudless and it promises to be a glorious spring day.

    At a safe distance from the former orphanage stands a robed mage, hands held midair as if he was some kind of mime. Synn raises an eyebrow and walks up to the catfolk wizard.
    "Hey Gutzget. What's going on?" She asks. The black furred catfolk turns to her and smiles thinly in recognition.
    "Oh hey Synn. Protective barrier. Planar bleed."
    "Oh." is all Synn replies.
    "That's what you get when you lot abandon the job. Good to see you're gonna fix it at least." he continues. Though Synn doesn't like what he's saying she doesn't object and merely returns to the assembled White Stars.
    "Right boys and girls. Planar bad things 101. Events have weight. Extremely emotional events affect planar barriers. Even more so when mixed with magic, especially divine magic. Nobody knows why divine magic in particular. You have such an event and some magic and leave it to rest and it warps planar barriers making resonant planes bleed together. This can happen with happy events but only rarely. Guess what kind of event caused this instance.
    2 solutions: First is, cut out the affected part of the plane and surrender it to the bleeding plane. The Despot doesn't like parts of Mysthaven being sacrificed, it's small enough already. Second, go in and find the thing keeping the bleed going and resolve it. Easier said than done most times. Once resolved I can excise the piece of the invading plane and merge it with this one, normalizing it. Better hop to it, I'll stand by here and watch until it's time to act. Either when it's resolved or when the planar bleed becomes to bad and I have to cut away the area."
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Arkansas, Central Time
    Posts
    2,443
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Sarvine raises an eyebrow at the sassy catfolk but doesn't have the attention to spare to throw it back at him.
    "Anything happen while you were doing this? Anything go in or out of the building, any magical signatures appear, that sort of thing. Or have you just been standing here staring at a wall for a few hours?"

    A little recon never hurt anyone, and against planar things it would be doubly useful.


    “Defend the weak, protect both young and old, never desert your friends. Give justice to all, be fearless in battle and always ready to defend the right."

    —The law of Badger Lords”
    Brian Jacques, Lord Brocktree

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Tarsus had walked with the unit, dressed in uniform, armed and armored. "That's probably my fault," he admits. "It's my… mother in there." He struggles with the word, never having been a truly good fit for their relationship. And now thought of it is freighted with grief. "Or what's left of her," he sighs. "The White Stars will do what we have to, as we have always done, but it's probably a good thing I won't be joining you." His eyes dart to Tsukohari, the only person present who already knew. "On this mission or any other. The Company needs my efforts elsewhere—questions that need answers."

    "I have arranged for additional support for you, and I asked him to meet us here," Tarsus explains, looking around. "Wanted to avoid any, uh, golem troubles."

    "And here I am," a voice announcement in suave tones a few paces away from the team, and approaching. A young-ish looking man wears the White Star uniform. He is of average height and slender build, and atop his head he wears a wide-brimmed black hat. His elegant features, pale skin, and the trace of blunted fangs behind his smile betray his vampiric heritage. Strapped to his chest is a sheathed dagger, from his hip hangs a bolt case and across his back is slung an exquisite looking crossbow. The dhampir approaches with a smooth stride and tugs at his uniform, and smiles at Tarsus. "It's not a perfect fit," he says to the cleric, "but it's manageable." He looks to the others, "Ah! My manners. Hello! I'm Natan Pendrot—I'm a good eye and a sharp shot, and I look forward to working with all of you."
    Last edited by theScrappy; 05-03-2019 at 07:49 PM.




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,593
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Oparal has noted in the Company's ledgers that Tarsus has failed to purchase any equipment for himself: "Maybe that would be for the best, I trust you will join us in the next mission when you are adequately equipped."

    Her lensed eyes focus on the new arrival, which she, as always, didn't trust, before she continues: "Speaking of getting equipment, what is in it for the Company to deal with this situation? In terms of financial incentives, of course."

    She also notices the crossbow: "Natan, is it? I know an exceptional weapon when I see one and that", she points at it, "is quite something. We should talk later, provided you survive."





  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Natan smiles in recognition. "Oparal, yes?" He offers a handshake. "I'm not worried. It's our Captain who bears all the risk in our current state," the sharpshooter replies. "Tsukohari-san," he says bowing his head briefly but stiffly, "I stand ready to serve the Company."

    Tarsus clears his throat. "The financial incentive is that we don't get blacklisted by the Usurer's Guild for bailing on a job," he explains to the company wizard. "And I won't be joining you on this or any other mission for the foreseeable future. I'm no longer on combat duty; I'm more useful elsewhere."




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    3,593
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    Tarsus clears his throat. "The financial incentive is that we don't get blacklisted by the Usurer's Guild for bailing on a job," he explains to the company wizard. "And I won't be joining you on this or any other mission for the foreseeable future. I'm no longer on combat duty; I'm more useful elsewhere."
    "Oh, we got a job to deal with this? A paid job? Very well, then, let us get this over with.", she nods, "I was not aware that was going to be a permanent arrangement. May your efforts be useful to the Company.", she concludes.

    Quote Originally Posted by theScrappy View Post
    Natan smiles in recognition. "Oparal, yes?" He offers a handshake. "I'm not worried. It's our Captain who bears all the risk in our current state," the sharpshooter replies. "Tsukohari-san," he says bowing his head briefly but stiffly, "I stand ready to serve the Company."
    Oparal's paranoid senses are tingling: "You've been studying us?", she waves his hand away, there were too many contact poisons in existence she knew about to risk exposure, "Sorry, I don't do handshakes, but the gesture is appreciated."





  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Posts
    6,284
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhoulRising View Post
    Sarvine raises an eyebrow at the sassy catfolk but doesn't have the attention to spare to throw it back at him.
    "Anything happen while you were doing this? Anything go in or out of the building, any magical signatures appear, that sort of thing. Or have you just been standing here staring at a wall for a few hours?"

    A little recon never hurt anyone, and against planar things it would be doubly useful.
    Gutzget chuckles at Sarvine's questioning.
    "Who do you think is keeping this here barrier up huh princess?" He remarks and gives Sarvine a big wink. Synn facepalms as she mumbles something under her breath.
    "You guys are up for a surprise, so come on don't dilly dally and hop to it." He continues.
    As you walk through the barrier at his urging you are confronted with the illusionary component of the shield because inside the shield it doesn't look like Mysthaven at all anymore. Nor does it look like an orphanage. Instead it resembles a large ruined cathedral built from black marble with pink veins. The sky is a thunderous tempest as night and day struggle to get the upper hand. The source of this is Sarenrae's winged soldiers doing battle with all manner of winged beasts: manticores, chimerae, harpies, etc. Not ten feet from you a harpy crashes to the ground as a hound archon impales her on his spear. He looks up at you and yells a battlecry:
    "For the Everlight!"
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollinitiative - (1d20+4) [13]
    Characters:
    - Executor Divine Katharina Durmond - Rise of the Runelords
    - Freya 'Forcefox' DeVos - Power Corrupts
    - Tycho Boughbreaker - Fall of Melior

    Campaigns:
    - Against the Shadow - Pathfinder Midnight campaign
    - Chronicles of Misthaven - Pathfinder Homebrew campaign

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    3,455
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default Mission: The crucible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    As you walk through the barrier at his urging you are confronted with the illusionary component of the shield because inside the shield it doesn't look like Mysthaven at all anymore. Nor does it look like an orphanage. Instead it resembles a large ruined cathedral build from blavk marble with pink veins. The sky is a thunderous tempest as night and day struggle to get the upper hand. The source of this is Sarenrae's winged soldiers doing battle with all manner of winged beasts: manticores, chimerae, harpies, etc. Not ten feet from you a harpy crashes to the ground as a hound archon impales her on his spear. He looks up at you and yells a battlecry:
    "For the Everlight!"
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInitiative - (1d20+6) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInitiative - (1d20+6) [11]

    Natan swings his crossbow up and over his shoulder, his eyes stay locked onto the archon even as the weapon's butt brushes against the rear brim of his hat, searching for weaknesses; gaps in its armor. The heavy weapon's mass barely produces so much as a lean in the man as he he deftly produces a bolt from his case and loads it, winding the crank impossibly fast. With a heartbeat's pause to raise the butt to his shoulder, Natan fires one round at the archon and quickly surveys their surroundings to identify suitable cover to conceal his further movements.

    Standard action
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollAttack: point-blank shot, deadly aim, weapon focus, studied target - (1d20+18) (3) [21]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollDamage: point-blank shot, deadly aim, studied target - (1d10+10) [14]

    Move Action
    Study Target

    Free action?
    Search for cover
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+14) [17]
    Last edited by theScrappy; 05-06-2019 at 02:38 AM.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    766

    Default

    Elsa preferred dramatic arrivals, arriving fashionably late was acceptable, arriving late to war was not. The shock of the transition and the sudden attack of her compatriots alarmed her terribly.

    "Nethys preserve us it talks! Wait, IT TALKS!"

    The magician wished terribly that she'd bothered with planar studies. Magic was her fascination, but the lack of breadth in reading was obviously to her own detriment. She had no idea what this creature was, but it could talk. Raising her wand, Elsa tried to defuse the situation before people got hurt.

    Focusing her mind on the most peaceful thought she could imagine, Elsa channeled the power of that thought into the magic of her spell while gently intoning the words, "Harmony, Unity, TRANQUILITY!"

    Elsa Tarolandashe
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInitiative - (1d20+6) (20) [26]

    Move Action:

    None

    Standard Action:

    Cast "Calm Emotions"
    Will Save DC 19
    Everyone in a 20' radius around Elsa
    Last edited by Doc-Holiday; 05-05-2019 at 01:44 AM.

  10. #10

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInitiative - (1d20+2) [22]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollKn. Planes - (1d20+5) [20]

    Having been largely silent until now, especially with new revelations of how Mysthaven works, Tarsus replacing himself with the night hunter, appraising him and the catfolk, and now the scene before them, Tsu seems largely unphased by the Hound Archon murdering something in front of them. She puts her shield arm out, however, to stop her party, and with Elsa popping a spell, she calls out.

    Mode: DRP

    "Hold! Everyone hold! Celestial, we have come to break the stalemate, so that this area may be restored and you all may return home victorious over these beasts. Do we have accord?"
    Last edited by Theprettiestorc; 05-05-2019 at 10:21 AM.
    "A good speech should be like a woman's skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep people interested." -Winston Churchill

    The very Prettiest Orc avatar done by the talented Letty Wilson.








Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •