Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chapter: 8.47 Balancing the Scales

Default Chapter: 8.47 Balancing the Scales

Hrothgar leaves the Minotaur's weapon shop and heads to the Balanced Scales Trade Guild building. He is unsure what, if anything, will be in there, but that was where Silvart had mentioned him as having a chance of maybe finding something magical. His needs we simple.... but the cost.... it might be too great.

Still nothing ventured ... nothing gained.
    Last edited by zebsen; 05-05-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

Hrotghar sees a large red bricked three story tall building in the center of the city. An image of properly balanced scales takes up almost half of the front of the brick surface leaving little doubt as to whether it's the correct building. As Hrothgar approaches the building, he looks up and sees a large gold domed top to the building, which itself was probably worth tens of thousands of gold if not more. The plainsman couldn't fathom why someone would waste the gold on something like that, but shrugged as he entered the large double doors.

Entering inside, Hrothgar felt immediately out of place. The plainsman's attire was simple, but a handful of merchants wore extravagant cloaks with lapels and jewels. Hrothgar noted that even the receptionist lady was outfitted in what looked to be almost a ball gown. She smiles faintly at Hrothgar, but he could easily tell that she was being polite. Looking around, he found bust statues of famous members of the guild, rich thick red rugs lined most of the walkways, and large chandeliers hung overhead. The receptionist desk directly in front of him looked equal parts welcoming and blocking at the same time.

The ladies accent was much different than his as she asked, "Can I help you?" She continued smiling at him.

Looking around, not really impressed with so much wealth on display.... considering the large part of the City lying in ruins that they had passed through.... However the woman is pretty, so Hrothgar smiles back, also politely.

"I was directed here by an apprentice of the Tower as a possible place to enquire about items with magical properties. Specifically with a mind to obtaining such items. As you can see my needs are simple. I don't need Heavy Armors or Great-Swords.... but perhaps there are potions or jewels that have such effects. And perhaps you know of a merchant who would sell such things".

The lady was likely pretty. It was hard to tell with a very liberal amount of numerous facial products and things the Hrothgar had little knowledge or use for. Certainly after her lengthy beautification ritual, the finished product looked pretty darn good. The starting product was anyone's guess. She batted her clearly elongated eyelashes and looked at a pair of merchants that were talking with wine glasses by a bust of some halfling figure. She loudly cleared her throat with no response. The second time though, one of them looked her way and noticed Hrothgar. He excused himself from his friend and walked over to meet Hrothgar.

He was wearing what was clearly a wig and smoking a pipe. He was likely in his fifties, and wore elegant attire. He carefully removed the pipe and smiled at Hrothgar. The receptionist politely said, "This gentleman would like to talk to someone about purchasing magical items..." She smiled kindly at Hrothgar, and her gaze went up and down on the plainsman.

The man nodded and said, "Ah yes, clearly someone from Mistmoor, am I right? Of course I am. Well, certainly if there was such a market for these things, you've come to the right place. So, young lad, we do periodically offer some items to the general public as you mention. I won't lie to you though, the selection is somewhat limited and the mark-up is steep. If you'd like, I can check and see what is available."

He realizes that he hasn't formally introduced himself and said, "Sorry, where are my manners. I am Henri. And you are?"

Knowing she was gazing at his impressive body, he subconsciously flexes his muscles just for her eyes. When her eye catches his he will give a wink. He then turns to focus on this new well decorated Merchant.

"Well meet Henri. I am Hrothgar." (he extends his hand in greeting) I am travelling with the Sentinels from Alliance and assisting them with their mission. And yes I would still like to look at those items. Perhaps something will be within my reach, and if not, then at least I will know how much to save up for such things."

Henri accepts the handshake and nods. He motions to his colleague that was holding his wine glass and says, "Fetch the security mage. He wishes to see the high end merchandise."

He says, "It will be a moment, Hrothgar." The receptionist's eyes wander to the plainsmen for a few minutes before a red robed female sorcerer comes into the room from the back. Henri says, "You'll have leave your weapons behind, but Vellona here will take good care of everything, I assure you."

An eye slightly twitches at the mention of disarming, no warrior likes having to disarm himself in strange places, but Hrothgar simply nods. First he places the two Hand-axes on the desk. Before un-slinging the Glaive.

As lays the polearm along the desktop as well, he says with a flirtatious smile "Careful, Vellona. They are quite... sharp."

Returning to a somewhat serious look, he addresses Henri:

"Perhaps I can get a glass of that wine as well while we wait?"

Henri looks at Hrothgar oddly. He wasn't expecting the plainsmen to be a wine drinker. He shrugs and walks over to the bust that he was standing near. Opening the cabinet below, he pulls out a glass and a bottle of red wine. He brings back a bottle and shows the vintage to Hrothgar - it was a 10 year old bottle of wine from Etoile. He pours him a bottle.

Hrothgar's long weapon is longer than Vellona is accustomed to accommodating, and it doesn't fit in her small weapons closet. As she walks to and from with it, Hrothgar stares at her shimmering dress. It's hard to tell her weight with all the ruffles and sequins, but she looks fairly thin. He notes that she walks in shoes with 2 inch heels on them. Although he had heard of these previously, he thought these things were a joke given how impractical they were. Having witnessed them now, they were certainly impractical, but Hrothgar began to understand their uses better, as Vellona's one visible calf in the side slit dress certainly looked more alluring.

After walking back and forth across the small reception area, Vellona finally lays the polearm delicately across the floor behind the desk. As she begins to chat with Hrothgar about Mistmoor, a red robed Tower wizard appears in the back and motions them forward. As Henri walks with Hrothgar, he introduces Ishira, a red robed wizardress who is a retrainer for the guild. All of them sip wine as they pass by several patrols from the Golden Gauntlet. They reach a rune covered door at the end of the hall, which causes Ishira casts a spell at. The door opens revealing a spiral stone staircase the descends downward. As they descend, Hrothgar wonders exactly how secure the basement is this close to the sea, but as they descend a spiral staircase he notes the walls appeared massively thick and lined with panels that he suspects are made of lead.

They reach one more door at the bottom that Ishira again unlocks revealing a small 10 by 10 foot vault of sorts. Inside the room are eight depressions of various sizes in the walls. Four of the depressions have items inside them, while the other four are empty. All of the depressions have a clear, glasslike barrier in front of them. Behind two clear barriers are bracers, a third is a tattered blank sheet of paper. The last one contains a thin cord, similar to Brandon's magical belt.

He murmurs "Impressive".

In truth he hated wine, but he had drunk it before.... although perhaps not one so full of flavour as this one. It was more to calm his nerves at having been disarmed and lead into such a strange place.

He glances briefly at each of the alcoves, his eyes are drawn more to the bracers and the belt than the tattered paper. A minute passes, then he looks enquiringly at Henri and Ishira, awaiting the Merchant to begin his sales pitch that would at the very least tell him what it was he was looking at, yet alone their prices.

Ishira takes over the conversation, knowing more about the magical items than Henri. She looks at the first two sets of bracers and says, "The first might be best suited to you. They offer defense to those that forgo armor. The current price for them is 20,000 gold. The second set is more rare. We don't fully understand them, but they are more suited to a caster and enhances casting power somehow. Right now, we're asking 50,000 gold for them. The paper is intriguing in that it is a map that will give details today about any one unique item that can be detected. The current price for it is 7500 gold. The cord is for aid of those that heal others. Again, we're not sure on specifics, but we are asking 50,000 for it as well."

Henri watches Hrothgar carefully. Seeing some level of shock on his face, he replies, "If these fees seem steep to you, I would state that these are the only magical items known to be for sale within the realm. Our brokerage fee for such a unique service is substantial, as I'm sure you can... respect. Having said that, there are ways of endearing yourself to the Balanced Scales that could certainly lower our fees, however the existing owners certainly will still demand compensation." He shrugs and adds, "Any questions?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast