Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: [IC 1] The Tor at Hightower

After letting the rest of the group know that the room is safe, Damian begins walking around the slab, studying it. Alec and Ravewood enter around the time that Damian notices that the slab actually has a false top. It's just one big, solid piece of stone sitting on top of another to make it look like a single slab, but it's probably hollow inside now that it's been discovered that the top is a separate piece. It will be a hell of a thing to move, though, big and heavy as it is.

Damian will relay to the others about the false top... and theories on whether its empty or not... and leave it up to the others as to whether they want to try and shift the lid.
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

3. Default

Gallant nods as Damian shares his discoveries.
    "The way I see it, we're stuck here right now, so we may as well search every corner of this hell-forsaken tor. It's not like we don't have the time."
    He glances at Yuenni.
    "I'm not sure if the other magic users would have a better way to do this, but might we be able to lift the top if we tried together? We'd have to do it carefully, though, so we don't drop it and alert those giants by the fire."
    Last edited by HorseyFatback; 06-17-2019 at 12:21 PM.

"I could shrink it to make it lighter," Eldon says, "but it would shrink from the outer edges and then possibly fall into the base, which could damage whatever is in there and also make a loud noise, which, as Gallant pointed out, we want to avoid if we can."

"Lets see if there is something in there first at least. If there is, then we can work out how to get the lid off without making too much noise. If its empty it can just be left as it is."

He retrieves his Crowbar and a several of the pitons from his pack. He indicates to Gallant (or anyone big and strong really) to wedge the bar in slowly and to lift the edge.... giving him the time to wedge one of the pitons in under the lid, repeating this at each end - two to a side. The result should be a lid that's elevated above its setting by at least an Inch all around its edge.

Once the Lid is "lifted" and on the pitons, he will summon a dancing light to appear inside the vault space, he mentally adjusts it to be dimmer in brightness than usual. Once that's in place he retrieves the mirror from his thieves tool kit and he peers in through the gap to see what he can see.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception if required - (1d20+4) (14) [18]

"Ravewood, are you feeling like you're back at your full potential?" Alec asks. Ravewood nods in reply. "Good," Alec says, "then we'll start with you. Wedge that crowbar in for Damian. Once he's got a piton in, I want you to stay there and be ready to catch the lid if it should just so happen to inexplicably tip one way or another or start sliding around or something. We're taking no chances. I'll take another corner and so will Gallant and Yeunni. We'll handle this as a group. Eldon, don't feel bad."

"Not at all, Captain," Eldon smiles. "I'd be a terrible choice for this kind of thing."

With everyone helping out, Damian's plan works. It is, indeed, hollow in the center. Damian can see several different bundles of old, tattered cloth inside, each bundle acting as a protective wrapping for what he assumes are various items of different sizes.

After relaying what he sees -

"Well there is definitely something in there, as too whether its worth the effort .... I leave that up to you Captain"

"But if you mean to lift the lid off I would instead recommend that we just turn it instead.... and allow the thing to just rest across the top rather than in place - It will give us the room to reach in, while saving us the effort of lowering and re-lifting the thing".

"Well done, Mr. Damian," Yuenni says, genuinely impressed. She turns to the other magic users.

"Can we detect if these ragged bundles contain magical items?"

She then begins hauling out the bundles one by one, opening them for the group to see.

Turning the lid is quiet enough and Damian gets to collect his crowbar and pitons back.

Once the bundles are all unwrapped and laid out in a row, the party finds themselves looking upon the following:
    A small vial of purple liquid.
    A large, golden acorn.
    A ring made of ivory.
    Four wooden carvings almost the size of and definitely in the shape of horse legs.
    A small, brass cone with a hole at the tip.
    A dusty old tome with the word "Knowledge" written across the cover but filled with ten blank pages.

All of the items radiate slight magic.

"Wow this place is filled with such wonders, I wonder then why it hadn't been cleaned out already.... when you consider the Hobgoblins came in through the roof".

"Eldon, do you have time to maybe identify some of these things, my father once told me that most spellcasters can do as such.... oh....and the ones we picked up before, It would be silly if there's been something we could have used, especially against that Zombie thing....."

His voice trails off as he begins repacking the pitons and crowbar back into their spots in his pack, along with the mirror to his kit.

Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast