Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: The Tor at Hightower

Soft peals of thunder continue as the storm persists outside, and Damian remains quiet and unseen as he scouts ahead to see what's new in the entrance chamber. The light makes everything blurry but he can still make out four distinct forms, each one of them quite large and sat around the fire, which to them must seem normal-sized. He can't see them very well, but he can hear their voices, and they speak to one another in Jotun, the language of the hill giants.

He returns to the group. And whispers:

"I don't think we are going that way..... the rope up might be our best shot out of here"
    Corn canít expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

"Then so be it," Yuenni says, determination overtaking the mask of shock on her face. Then, accidentally referencing a famous play once written on the other side of the multiverse, she adds, "If it must be done, 'twere well it were done quickly."

Onward and upward the young cleric thinks, accepting the fact finally that her life - whether she'd wanted it to or not - had changed forever the moment that she stepped foot into this accursed cave.

"What's wrong with that way?" Alec asks. When he gets the answer, "Oh. I see. Yes, I wouldn't advise we attempt to take on four hill giants. The good news is they probably won't head any deeper into this tomb without a good reason. They're probably just trying to get out of the rain, same as us. I still hear it out there, but it sounds much better, like it might be safe now, the biggest danger being wet clothes. I'm taking all suggestions at this point. Where do you all think we should go?"

"Well, where did that undead creature come from?" Eldon asks. "Didn't it wander out of the far eastern chamber? If so, that could mean that the chamber is empty now, right? Perhaps it's worth a look?"

"Aye its chamber should be empty now... there was another passage that branched off .... but I never explored that one. Its possible we could rest in the Eastern Chamber and simply wait for those Giants to move on once the storm passes, which would then allow us to leave as well. I would like to be sure there is nothing down that other passage though if we plan on staying. Just to be safe".

"So two of you so far vote on staying?" Alec asks in disbelief. "I was pretty certain that you'd all want to get out of here at much as I do. I'm surprised."

"But Sir Damian makes a great point, Captain," Eldon says. "That mist has me rattled. If that mist was, in fact, The Mists, then I fear that a terrible evil may have rode in upon the storms, and I am not ready to climb up into those elements yet. And besides, without finishing the exploration of the tomb, we'll never know if there isn't already a better exit. I'd feel foolish if it turns out there is an easy way out just one room over or down that southern hallway."

"And that right there is one of the reasons I keep you around, Eldon," Captain Alec says. "That big brain of yours. Damian, Eldon, you make good points. The new plan is to keep going. We're checking the room that the nasty ol' bugbear came from, and then we're taking the southern hallway. Anyone who objects, feel free to speak up."

"No. Let us explore. We have come this far; a return trip is now as perilous as continuing onward," the young cleric muses.

Damian grins like the proverbial cat who got the cream, then spins and heads for the intersection, stopping to look down along its darkened length before passing by - just in case. He whispers the command word for his Dancing Lights Cantrip to once again flare into effect.... putting them at spaced intervals down that Southern Corridor.... just to light it up so that its easier to see.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+4) (11) [15]

He then waits there for the others to catch up.**

(**ooc - unless he sees something in the darkness that requires shooting that is)

Everybody starts heading toward the chamber to the east, with Damian in the lead, followed by Alec, Ravewood, Yeunni, and Eldon. (Tokens updated.)

As Damian passes by the hallway leading south and sends some lights down that way, he manages to send them far enough that he can kind of see where the hallway ends in a doorway to another chamber down there, but he can't see into the chamber itself.

Damian reaches Bugbear Chamber first. It looks empty, save for the slab that the bugbear corpse was laying on before it reanimated. Seems like a lot of work to put a creature like that in a room with nothing of value.

Damian walks slowly around the Slab.... looking at it carefully, in case there are any markings, or potentially loose panels to it that might indicate a hidden compartment.

Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 172526272829 ... LastLast