Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 179

Thread: [IC 2] Warren Peace

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    1,942

    Default [IC 2] Warren Peace

    Everyone's getting tired. Everyone. But it's still an unfamiliar wilderness and anything could come prowling up to check out their roadside campsite during the night.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Palmerston North, New Zealand
    Posts
    4,717

    Default

    As Damian finds a tree to lean against, he offers a suggestion of:

    "Perhaps Ravewood, and Yeunni for first watch, then Gallant with either Alec or Eldon, then myself and whomever else 3rd. Gives us a person who can see to some degree in the darkness for the hours in which most nocturnal things go creeping and the firelight - if we have a fire for the first set at the very least".

    Even as he says the words a small yawn leaves his lips.
    Last edited by Scymon; 07-19-2019 at 04:56 AM.
    Corn can’t expect justice from a court composed of chickens.

  3. Default

    Gallant nods in agreement, his mouth too filled with his rations to offer a verbal response.

  4. #4

    Default

    Yuenni nods and agrees, letting the others settle while she walks the campsite's perimeter. While she didn't really know much of adventuring parties and watch orders, she figuring it best to be useful whenever possible (It was The Way, after all) so she did her best impression of what she imagined one would do while keeping watch.

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollPerception - (1d20+5) [6]

    It, uhhh, doesn't go great.

    But once others rest, and assuming she sees no troubles, she'll sit next to Ravewood after an hour or more of pacing and ask, "So, Mr. Ravewood...tell me, does that experience we all just had in the cave rank as the maddest experience you've ever lived through? Or is it possible you've seen worse than that?"
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 07-20-2019 at 05:02 PM.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    Watch order is set and everybody but Yeunni and Ravewood goes to sleep. Yeunni makes really awkward poses as she patrols the camp's perimeter, like placing one foot up on a log and one hand on her hip while the other shields her brow from sun that just isn't there. She looks like she's trying to spy land from the bow of a ship. But she has the best watch partner possible for this kind of situation because Ravewood doesn't say anything about it. He doesn't even seem to find it odd.

    Snores begin to ring out from the tents, and it's clear that everyone was so exhausted they all fell asleep immediately. Yeunni returns to the fire and asks Ravewood her question. He stares silently at the fire for a while. Yeunni begins to think he's going to be in one of those moods where he just doesn't speak at all for a long time, but then Ravewood finally answers.

    "I've seen worse. Much worse. I take it you three have never been in an adventuring party before? Worked solo? Me, too. Here's the thing about adventuring as a group - you can take on bigger challenges. You can earn greater rewards. You always have someone watching your back. But what they don't tell you is that bad things still happen. No matter how hard you try, someone in the group will be killed in some way or another. And the remaining people in the group have to see that. It is we that have to watch it happen time and time again. If they aren't crushed by a trap ceiling, they're torn to literal shreds by some beast ... or spirited away by some damned unexplained fog. That's thing thing about working as a group that you three are going to have to get used to. It is a constantly revolving door. Eldon and I aren't even original members. We're just the oldest. We lose at least one person a month. We lost two members at Torvaldshire just three weeks ago - Artess and Zendia. I miss them. I hope you three can end that pattern. The only person who is an original member of the captain's party is the captain himself. He has had to watch so many people die, I don't know how he even carries on. I suppose it's because he reasons that all of those people would probably have died even sooner if they'd continued adventuring alone, and any time they spent in our group was extra time. I don't know for sure. I don't talk to him about it. But, yes, to answer your question, I have seen worse. And you should be prepared to see worse, too."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    After Ravewood thoroughly spoils conversation, the rest of first watch is quiet, uneventful, and slightly awkward, at least for Yeunni. In usual fashion, Ravewood doesn't seem bothered by any of it.

    Second watch begins. Yeunni and Ravewood retire, and Gallant and Eldon take their place. The night has become rather noisy at this point, all the nocturnal insects and animals having begun their nightly shift and making their various sounds, but Gallant and Eldon can still hear something coming up the nearby road, and they can see two orbs of dim light coming up the road as well.

  7. Default

    Gallant has no reason to assume whatever is nearing them is hostile, and the party needs rest, so he won't wake them yet. He waves a hand at Eldon, gesturing him to wait for a moment. He first peers into the darkness, trying to make out the sources of the light through the various shades of gray offered by his darkvision.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollGallant Perception - (1d20+2) (3) [5]

    If he can't make anything out, he'll search the border of their small camp to see if there are any animals hiding in the shadows cast by the campfire.
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollGallant Perception - (1d20+2) (18) [20]

  8. #8

    Default

    Yuenni's last thoughts before drifting off to sleep are of loss, death, despair...and, incongruously, a deep-seeded Thrill that she didn't know existed within her.

    The cleric's secret smile on her lips remains even as slumber finds her.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Italy, Texas
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    Eldon holds still when Gallant gives him the signal. Gallant squints but can't tell what's coming down the road. However, he is able to clearly see the area around camp and is sure that no animals are hiding in the shadows.

    "Hm," Eldon muses. "There's a wagon headed this way." Apparently he can see it just fine.

    Sure enough, a wagon rolls up and slows to a stop at the campsite. An older gentleman sits in the driver's seat with his pet dog. Two lanterns hang from the sides of the wagon, and they give off very little light.

    "Well, a very pleasant early morning to you gentlemen," the driver says, somewhat quietly since he isn't sure if there are others sleeping in the tents. "Didn't expect to find people out on this road, or at this hour."

  10. #10

    Default

    Authentic Forum Dice-rollYuenni Perception to Hear and Wake Up - (1d20+5) [21]



Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •