Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Chapter 1:Haunting Of Harrowstone

Default Chapter 1:Haunting Of Harrowstone

“Oh of course, what ever you feel best and feel free to take your time. We are no here to rush you, only provide our help while we are here.” Mikial attempts to comfort her and recover from his terrible comment just prior.

He takes a sip of his wine as he waits for Kendra to return with the case.

“Mmm ah.” He responds, quickly swallowing the wine. “Qui, Ken and I will be able to help with that. As current members of the university we could easily find his other colleagues he worked with at Lepidstadt.”

OOC
    I’m assuming since us three just came from there and each of us would either know these individuals or at least of them or maybe one each. Willing to make a roll for it if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default

Ruthis nods slowly at Kendra's answer.He takes quick, slightly-embarrassed looks between the six people around the table.' Well,' He says at last,' You guys want to have a look inside the chest?' He looks down at his feet and continues in something like a mumble to himself in the elven language,' I mean, in front of his daughter?'. He passes a quick look to Qui the half-elf, and the Tiefling, 'He's got a smackish look like a scholar about him...maybe he understands too?' he thought, remembering it's eloquent speech in the recent skirmish.

Oh no... No no no. The face of a disappointed woman, what black magic was this? "N-no! Two is of course enough, no even one would be... I-I don't even need a room I can fit in a closet! I've even slept on the top bookshelf in the University's library during exams to maximize study time as I don't have unlimited yet but I am working on a spell-" He assured hurriedly having said anything to wipe away that look, before retreating sheepishly and allowing the others to steer the conversation back on track. Poor Ken may have some hard times in the future if he doesn't build up a resistance.

Although Ken's awkwardness could certainly be explained by his fairly sheltered upbringing, one had to wonder what in Ruthis past made him believe the Teifling would be able to carry out any sort of subterfuge. "Why do you expect there will be something she shouldn't see?" Ken answered earnest and concerned... I'm common... Aloud.
    Last edited by No Body; 06-14-2019 at 01:36 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Regina Thorn: The Savage : The Fallow Hills Frontier

Ken: The timelordgod : Carrion-Crown

Kosj: the Plague: One Shot Wonders

Wanna blades in the dark? PM me looking to put together a game.

Looking for a 5E game to call her own - Xanice Gemviper

4. Default

Ruthis shakes his head slowly at the tiefling.....how could he understand a language but not speak it?
    He takes a few short steps towards the small chest, inserts and twists the key, and very slowly opens it.

The key easily fits the lock and turns smoothly. You carefully open the lid a crack, releasing faint odors of dried lavender and cedar balls and the more powerful smell of musty vellum. Having satisfied yourself that there is no hidden mechanism around the lid, you fully open the chest.

Inside, you see a stack of books. On the very top is a small brown, oilskin book, only about the size of your hand. Underneath it is a much larger book with a rich purple cover. You can see along the edge of the stack that there are several other books under the purple one.

6. Default

Ruthis nods to himself as he picks up the small brown oilskin book and examines it's contents.

Default Chapter 1:Haunting Of Harrowstone

Mikial stretches his neck to peer in the chest in order to catch a glimpse of the contents and possibly catch a title on one of the spines.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollperception - (d20+5) [6] that’s a natural 1. I must be sitting opposite of Ruthis and on the lid side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MTpaladin; 06-15-2019 at 02:08 AM.

Qui reached in the chest soon after Ruthis and collected the purple-covered book, flipping through the pages experimentally.

Ruthis:

It doesn't take you long to figure out that this book was Petros' journal. It goes back about eight months but the majority of the entries are of relatively little interest to you, accounting for the day-to-day thoughts and activities of the Professor. However among the latter entries you find some passages that seem worth your attention.

20th Roda (26 days ago)Serious discovery today. While out walking, I came across signs of recent activity from the cult called The Whispering Way. What could have attracted their interest in this area I cannot guess.

23rd Roda (23 days ago)
    Whatever the Way seeks, I am now convinced that their goal is connected to Harrowstone. In retrospect, I suppose it all makes sense. The stories they tell about the ruins in town are certainly chilling enough. It may be time to investigate the ruins but with everyone in town already being so worked up about them, I'd rather not let anyone know about my curiosity. There's plenty of folks hereabouts who already think I'm a demonologist or a witch or something. Ignorant fools.

27th Roda (19 days ago)
    It is confirmed. The Way seems quite interested in something someone who was held in Harrowstone. But who specifically is the Way after? I need a list of everyone who died the night of the fire. Everyone. The chapel must have such a list in their records.

29th Roda (17 days ago)
    I see now just how ill prepared I was when I last set out for Harrowstone. I am lucky to have returned at all. The ghosts, if indeed they were ghosts, for I did not think it prudent to investigate further, prevented me from transcribing the strange symbols I found etched along the foundation. Hopefully in my next visit I will be more prepared. Thankfully the necessary tools to defend against spirits are already here in Ravengro. I know that the chapel used to store them in a false crypt in the Restlands at the intersection between Eversleep and the Black Path. I am not certain if the current clergy even know what their predecessors have hidden down below. If my luck holds, I should be able to slip in and out with a few borrowed items.

30th Roda (According to the narrative Kendra gave you this entry must have been written mere house before her father died)
    This evening I return to the prison. It is imperative that the Way does not finish. I regret that I have none to assist me but my caution has already cost me too much time. I'm not sure what will happen if I am too late, but if my theory is right, the entire town could be at risk. I must go prepare for tonight. As I have no time to commit all my suspicions to paper, I shall leave this journal in my chest where it will be sure to be found should the worst come to pass.

Qui:

You pick up the large purple book. The book has a padded leather cover which feels very comfortable against your fingertips. The back cover wraps right around the side of the book to halfway over the front cover. Where the two covers meet, you see a brass scarab set with a single eye on its back. In the centre of the eye is a small intricate lock, the keyhole of which seems to be for a key with a strange hexagonal shaft. While examining the lock you notice a note stuffed between the overlapping covers.

The note reads:
    Deliver to Judge Embreth Daramid, Lepidstadt. Handle the exchange discreetly.

Three books remain at the bottom of the chest. One is jet black, one beige, while the last is a very poor quality book just barely clinging to its shabby grey cover.
    Last edited by StillClimbing; 06-15-2019 at 06:43 AM.

10. Default

Leda's curiosity gets the better of her, and she too reaches quickly into the chest to pull out the jet black book, wondering what secrets it holds.

Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast