Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ToD Episode 6: High Road, Low Road

Default ToD Episode 6: High Road, Low Road

You spent yesterday shopping and taking care of necessities around the city. Ignatius secured you a position as additional guards on the caravan - surplus to what's strictly needed, in case you need to abandon the group to follow your mission. The Lords Alliance is equally interested in ensuring the cult is dealt with permanently, and agree with the overall mission.

You woke up this morning and went to join the caravan. A middle aged human man greets you enthusiastically. "Ardred Briferhew! Nice to meet you! So glad you're coming along! It's gonna be rainy and dreary. Probably lots of undead will be about, once we get into the mere. All the more reason to hit the road soon! Let's get a move on!"

You recognize several faces among the travelers. And they seem to recognize you as well... and they don't seem happy about it. You notice that Rezmir isn't with the group this time, though. Another face you recognize belongs to the gnome, Jamna. "Looks like we're going to be traveling together some more!" she says. "Guess everyone wants to see this trip through to the bitter end. Or, hopefully, the end won't be bitter at all." When she gets a moment of privacy with you, she adds, "Rezmir and the red wizard took a few guards and went ahead yesterday. Must've been in a rush. I couldn't very well tail them by myself into the wilds. Wouldn't be good if they caught me by my lonesome."

It doesn't take long before the overenthusiastic and hard-working Briferhew to get everyone loaded up and headed out onto the road once more. You are guards this time, but have no leadership position. Briferhew is the man with final say-so on everything about this trip, and boy does he say a lot. He seems mostly congenial and good-spirited, if a bit talkative.

The first few days are uneventful. If you wish to RP a little and interact with Jamna, Briferhew, or anyone else, you are welcome to. Let me know when you're ready to move along.

Come join us on Discord!

"Well met, Andred! We're happy to help. Have you made the journey through the Mere before?" mal asks the man pleasantly.
    --------------------------------------------------------

(OOC: Rel, as soon as the trip begins in earnest, Illimistra will want to use her shadowstep ability and natural need for less sleep to scout ahead to try to find Rezmir, the red mage and their allies. Is that doable and, if so, what rolls and/or plans do you need from me to make it work?)

Illimistra, at the outset, nods at Andred, introduces herself, and then retreats further into her cloak, as is her usual wont.

That said, she does seem to have a bit more a spring in her step this morning than is common for her.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-thalun View Post
    (OOC: Rel, as soon as the trip begins in earnest, Illimistra will want to use her shadowstep ability and natural need for less sleep to scout ahead to try to find Rezmir, the red mage and their allies. Is that doable and, if so, what rolls and/or plans do you need from me to make it work?)
    A need for only 4 hours of sleep/trance does not negate your need for 8 hours of rest. Pushing to catch up with them would tire you out. (http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/feat...september-2015)
    Last edited by Rellott; 12-21-2018 at 09:51 PM.

Come join us on Discord!

Quote Originally Posted by Severalis View Post
    "Well met, Andred! We're happy to help. Have you made the journey through the Mere before?" mal asks the man pleasantly.
    "Oh, yes, my good man! Several times! It's a little bit dangerous, but that's why we've got you here! The work has to get done! I'm so glad you're interested in the trip! Stick close to me and I'll be sure to point out everything worth noticing along the way! Lots of interesting stuff!"

Come join us on Discord!

Vala kept silent along the introductions.
    She kept her eyes peeled for anything suspicious as they travel, be that outside or inside the caravan.
    Her face was stern & serious as always, but she was in unusually good spirits this morning,
    to the point that she even removed her cloak's hood at some point to enjoy the winter's sun on her face.

"Well i'm glad we've got such an experienced guide to lead us through! What kind of threats, other than undead, of course, should we be on the lookout for as we travel?"

Mal will pick the mans brain a bit, and also spend a decent amount of time getting Andred warmed up to him and building as friendly of a relationship as possible during the early introductions. After debacle that was the last leg of this journey, he wants to ensure that the people around our group actually trust us.

Quote Originally Posted by Severalis View Post
    "Well i'm glad we've got such an experienced guide to lead us through! What kind of threats, other than undead, of course, should we be on the lookout for as we travel?"

Mal will pick the mans brain a bit, and also spend a decent amount of time getting Andred warmed up to him and building as friendly of a relationship as possible during the early introductions. After debacle that was the last leg of this journey, he wants to ensure that the people around our group actually trust us.
    "Well, with all the rain that's coming, slippery and muddy roads are an obvious concern! It's no fun trying to haul a heavy wagon out of the mud! Then there's fallen branches. Sometimes they just naturally fell on the road, and sometimes a group of bandits dropped it there. Aye, there are a few bandits on the road. Hopefully they'll think twice about attacking us! Then there's all sorts of swamp critters... you've got your bullywugs, lizardfolk, snakes, giant frogs, giant toads - there's a difference between frogs and toads! Did you know that? Let me explain..." and then he proceeds to clarify the finer points of difference between not just regular frogs and toads, but their giant versions as well, for about 30 minutes.

Come join us on Discord!

"Interesting! I'll be sure to stay vigilant then!" Mal will enthusiastically participate in the conversation until a natural end and will make his exit.

He will then find Vala. "You're surprisingly spry today. Looking forward to our jaunt in the swamps?"

Vala was walking along with them, keeping herself in earshot of their conversation.
    She wanted to be prepared for whatever pops ahead of them, even though she knew that most of what the man said was probably exaggerations.
    "Hmm..?" When Mal approached her, Vala was looking around, deep in her thoughts, and failed to acknowledge him immediately.
    "Oh.. yes. I mean.. buh.. just don't mind me. I'm still at the inn.. It was very nice to escape all these, even for a day."
    Vala replies and looks around like she was looking for someone; that either she couldn't find or just spotted and was ok with just that.
    "Let's get back to work." She finally says and quickens her step, examining the entire length of the caravan.

((OOC: Vala checks for the following:
    - Number of Guards (group excluded)
    - Caravan's Population (guards & group excluded)
    - Existence & number of armed & combat able caravaneers (guards & group excluded)
    - Number of easy (for her) to detect Cult members
    - Existence, number & position of vehicles that she could climb atop, to get advantageous position for combat/scouting
    - Caravaneers/Wagons of interest (may that be dinner cart, salesmen willing to trade on the road, priests/healers or anything else)
    - Caravaneers with spare/back up horses that they are willing to rent/lent, in case the need arises.

Have we been told how many days this trip would last? ))

Page 1 of 46 12311 ... LastLast