Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Song of Fire and Dice [D&D 5e]

1. Default A Song of Fire and Dice [D&D 5e]

Ho there! Are you a Game of Thrones fanatic? Are you counting down the days until the final season starts? If so, this is the game for you! This is a "homebrew" campaign set George R. R. Martin's fantasy world shown below. However, it is set in a time long before the Starks and Lannisters and Baratheons are at each others throat - a time when the Targaryans still rule the Seven Kingdoms with their dragon allies and magic flourishes and humans live alongside elves, dwarves, and the like.

What system are you using (D&D 3.5, PF, WoD, etc.)? D&D 5th Edition.

What medium(s) are you using (PbP, MapTool, etc.)? Play-by-Post. Please be able to post at least once a day. Applications will be judged in part based on the player's total number of posts and post average (both of which can be found on your profile page). That said, newer players will not be automatically rejected based on a lower total post count so do not be afraid to apply. If real life gets in the way of posting, your character will be NPC'd. If it happens too frequently, you will be warned before being asked to bow out.

What house rules does the game have? I am a fan of the flanking rules as well as the human variant. Otherwise, I go by the RAW ("Rules As Written"). The one exception to this is initiative. We will use side-based initiative meaning all of the PCs will take their turns together and then all of the NPCs will go.

What restrictions are there on source material? Official Wizards of the Coast source material only please: PHB, SCAG, XGE, etc...

How do players create their characters? Start at level 1. Roll 4d6b3. No rerolls. Starting equipment per class and background.

What other restrictions and/or requirements are there? None really. If you aren't sure something is allowed, just ask and I will try to respond ASAP. Otherwise, if something is iffy when I review your application, I will let you know and we can work on it together.

RECRUITMENT WILL CLOSE ON CHRISTMAS DAY, DECEMBER 25, 2018. My goal is to have the game up and running a day or two later.

Quote Originally Posted by Rellott View Post
    What sort of adventures would we be going on here? Is it player driven? Sandbox? Tailored by DM to the players? Pregenerated scenarios? What sort of theme or hook might be useful to latch onto here? What region of the world will we be starting in?
    All great questions. I'll start with the last one since it's the easiest. My thought was to start the players in Westeros which is relatively safe south of the wall. Eventually, the players will travel across the Narrow Sea to Essos and, if all goes well, start exploring some of the mysterious third, southern continent which may or may not be home to a Cthulu-type entity.

As for the storyline, the campaign is set about 300 years before the Game of Thrones books. The Doom of Valyria has just transpired and Aegon Targaryan I is currently in power and rules the Seven Kingdoms, mostly thanks to his three "pet" dragons.

As for the adventures, I haven't written anything up...yet. The campaign will certainly have some major arcs which will be revealed as the players explore Westeros. Obviously, not everyone is going to be happy with the new change in management, and the White Walkers and the Night King are also scheduled to make an appearance at some point. Summer can't last forever. Winter is coming...

In an effort to help everyone refine their character concepts, here is some background on the different religions and sources of magic in the world.

Last edited by Hideous; 12-19-2018 at 04:56 PM.

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [16]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [11]

Heller Karstark originally hails from the North, but he travels all over Westeros acting as a bounty hunter. The Last Karstark is known throughout the lands for many reasons. First, he naturally intrigues people as the final living family member of a once large and respected House. Heller does not intend to let the Karstark name die with him, though. This he swears by the Old Gods themselves. Second, his track record as a bounty hunter speaks for itself. Rarely does he fail to bring in his quarry, dead or alive. His professional reputation often precedes him. Finally, the metal mask he wears at all times never fails to draw attention. Its emotionless visage hides a gruesome, terribly burned and scarred face underneath. The mask, coupled with his bounty hunting skills, has earned him the title of The Iron Reckoning. Since the beginning of Targaryan rule, Heller has noticed a marked decrease in work for himself, which is not good. He has recently lowered his standards, and travels the land in search of any job he can find.

In the days of Heller's great-grandfather a rare illness spread through his family at their keep, and only people around the age of twenty or younger had immune systems strong enough to survive it. All of the wisdom of the elders was suddenly gone and all of the property, assets, and influence of the Karstark house was suddenly in the hands of children. They quickly did what children do best and made so many bad decisions that, in just three generations, they had wasted the entire family fortune and lost nearly all of their land and possessions. Those who didn't give up and renounced the family name, moving to other lands to live as commoners, found themselves trying anything they could to regain some of their lost wealth and acreage. Often times, these plans ended up being tricks, causing House Karstark to lose even more money, or sometimes someone even died, causing the family numbers to further dwindle. It reached a point where they even stopped having children because they knew they couldn't afford it. The last child to be born was Heller, and now that he's grown and everyone else has died, he's working to get his family's money, lands, stronghold, and reputation back.

Default A Song of Fire and Dice [D&D 5e]

Not committing to anything, but I’m interested in this game concept and if I get some strong motivation I might make a full application. What sort of adventures would we be going on here? Is it player driven? Sandbox? Tailored by DM to the players? Pregenerated scenarios? What sort of theme or hook might be useful to latch onto here? What region of the world will we be starting in?

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [14]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) [15]

Come join us on Discord!

4. Default

What sort of adventures would we be going on here? Is it player driven? Sandbox? Tailored by DM to the players? Pregenerated scenarios? What sort of theme or hook might be useful to latch onto here? What region of the world will we be starting in?
    All great questions. I'll start with the last one since it's the easiest. My thought was to start the players in Westeros which is relatively safe south of the wall. Eventually, the players will travel across the Narrow Sea to Essos and, if all goes well, start exploring some of the mysterious third, southern continent which may or may not be home to a Cthulu-type entity.

As for the storyline, the campaign is set about 300 years before the Game of Thrones books. The Doom of Valyria has just transpired and Aegon Targaryan I is currently in power and rules the Seven Kingdoms, mostly thanks to his ability to control dragons.

As for the adventures, I haven't written anything up...yet. The campaign will certainly have some major arcs which will be revealed as the players explore Westeros. Obviously, not everyone is going to be happy with the new change in management, and the White Walkers and the Night King are also scheduled to make an appearance at some point. Summer can't last forever. Winter is coming...
    Last edited by Hideous; 12-13-2018 at 01:40 AM.

Blog Entries

Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6b3) (2, 1, 2, 4) [8]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6b3) (4, 2, 1, 2) [8]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6b3) (5, 4, 4, 3) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6b3) (6, 2, 1, 2) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6b3) (2, 4, 2, 6) [12]
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollStats - (4d6b3) (6, 4, 5, 3) [15]

ouch ...

Van Granham
    Once a Proud and glorious man with a promised future that was quickly destroyed by Milk of the poppy. Now a dark soul that does anything for the shinny coin.
    Once he belonged to the House of Granham up in the north.. But was thrown out when his problem with the poppy was discovered and he shamed his families name with dept. His younger brother Yle took his place as the next head.. And he was banished from the lands. As he couldn't afford the expensive drug anymore he turned to gamble and beer as his body craved something in replacement.. The drug Poppy had although already destroyed a part of the mind and the side effect could be seen as such people take a step back . Running from the dept collectors and the pain of his pass, he continue living.

Last edited by Krivak; 12-13-2018 at 04:01 PM.

6. Default

In an effort to help everyone refine their character concepts, here is some background on the different religions and sources of magic in the world.

7. Default

Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) (6, 4, 5, 6) [17]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) (4, 5, 2, 1) [11]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) (2, 6, 4, 5) [15]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) (6, 6, 1, 1) [13]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) (4, 4, 2, 1) [10]
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll(4d6b3) (3, 3, 2, 4) [10]

It would be a shame to let these stats go to waste, so I'll see what I can cook up in terms of character story.
    Last edited by theskyvalker; 12-14-2018 at 03:43 AM.

I think I'm gonna pass. I'm kinda overbooked on games anyway, and try as I might I can't figure out what sort of character I want to make that would fit in to the world. Good luck!

Come join us on Discord!

9. Default

I think I'm gonna pass. I'm kinda overbooked on games anyway, and try as I might I can't figure out what sort of character I want to make that would fit in to the world. Good luck!
    *sad face*

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast