Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooc

That’s very true. That last attack definitely made me realize it lol. I’m probably going to be tweaking it a bit as we progress.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepius View Post
    That’s very true. That last attack definitely made me realize it lol. I’m probably going to be tweaking it a bit as we progress.
    Can I ask why you want to deviate from the standard rule? Just curious, really...

i have been in too many games where you crit and end up rolling 2 1's or something. To me a "critical" hit is a massive hit and should grant full damage. I have always tinkered in my games with crit damage but then I saw a youtube series called "D&D with high school students". The teacher (the DM) had this alternate system for damage when involving crit hits, so I thought I would adopt it into this game.to me it makes sense, you crit, you get your full damage dice, plus whatever you roll for damage on the dice. Makes crits all the more realistic for what it is.

4. Default

i have been in too many games where you crit and end up rolling 2 1's or something. To me a "critical" hit is a massive hit and should grant full damage. I have always tinkered in my games with crit damage but then I saw a youtube series called "D&D with high school students". The teacher (the DM) had this alternate system for damage when involving crit hits, so I thought I would adopt it into this game.to me it makes sense, you crit, you get your full damage dice, plus whatever you roll for damage on the dice. Makes crits all the more realistic for what it is.
    Thanks for the explanation. I think crits used to do max damage (without rolling additional damage dice) in one or more of the prior editions (maybe 3.5e? 4e?).

Yeah I think back then that’s how it was. I think I may open this discussion up to everyone. What do you all think is fair for enemy crits? 5e rules? Something modified? I’m going to use my method for you guys which is the max damage plus a dice roll. But I’d love to hear your guys thoughts on enemy crits. Max dice damage? Roll 2 dice damages? I’m also trying to think of ways to streamline for posts so I’m not flooding it with just constant rolls.

6. Default

Yeah I think back then that’s how it was. I think I may open this discussion up to everyone. What do you all think is fair for enemy crits? 5e rules? Something modified? I’m going to use my method for you guys which is the max damage plus a dice roll. But I’d love to hear your guys thoughts on enemy crits. Max dice damage? Roll 2 dice damages? I’m also trying to think of ways to streamline for posts so I’m not flooding it with just constant rolls.
    I always thought it was cool to do a wound table for crits. Instead of doing extra damage, you roll a dice to determine the location of the critical hit and apply the penalty. For example, you could roll a d6 (or a d100 or whatever really) and say a 1 corresponds to a head wound. Until the next long rest, the character has disadvantage on Intelligence and Concentration checks. A 6 could correspond to a leg wound, meaning the PC might have -10 speed and disadvantage on Dexterity saves. There are all kinds of cool possibilities you can dream up and its really freeform without the risk of outright killing the PC from massive damage.

Haha I forgot about those wound tables!

Go for it. Good idea. As long as you maintain it I have no problem

As far as I'm concerned, I have no preference on the crit thing. I like the fact that I'm still in it, but I was also perfectly okay with going out like a redshirt with 'Butterflubble' as my last word.
    "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Malcolm Reynolds

Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast