Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooc

1. Default Ooc

Fine by Drav, he will ride up top and keep an eye, ear, and nose out for trouble.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mar'ro- The Unquiet Lands
    Dwemmek Dwerrowfade - World of Chaldera
    Softhands - Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Fin "Cur" Forestson - Beyond Drachenward
    Qadan Yul - Arcanis

Will respond tonight or tomorrow. Traveling back home from holidays

Sorry to disappoint, but it looks like Dariana is mortally skewered. That healing spell is all for Dom. Pretty sure she melted some goblin face before going out though.
    "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Malcolm Reynolds

4. Default

You didn’t disappoint anyone! You got hit with a crit at level 1 by the first attack roll against you. Is she actually dead-dead?

Edit: I looked it up. She’s dead, Jim.

“Massive damage can kill you instantly. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum.” It took 7 damage to get her to 0 and there was more than 7 damage remaining. It could have still happened without the house rule for max damage, but that didn’t help.

Just to be clear, the rules generally provide that critical hits get double damage dice with a single modifier. Under the normal rules, the goblin’s crit would do 2d6+2 meaning the only way Darianna would have died instantly is on a double 6 roll (6+6+2=14). In other words, there is a 1 in 36 chance (<3%) she would have died from the crit. The other 35 possible combinations would have only dropped her unconscious.

Under the house rule, crits give double damage dice and double damage modifier meaning the crit dealt 1d6+10 damage. This means Darianna was dead on a roll of 4, 5, or 6, effectively increasing her chance of instant death from 3% to 50%.

The fact that it was he first attack she faced was statistically improbable. Remember the goblin had to crit first so there was only 5% chance he crit in the first place. The odds of her dying from the first attack she faced was 2.5% under the house rule and 0.14% under the normal rules.
    Last edited by Hideous; 11-28-2018 at 05:35 AM.

To be fair, let's let the DM pronounce the death? Maybe a Fiat pulled up and took the shot instead?

If so, though, I am sad that we won't get to know the character but it was no fault of yours.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post
    To be fair, let's let the DM pronounce the death? Maybe a Fiat pulled up and took the shot instead?

If so, though, I am sad that we won't get to know the character but it was no fault of yours.
    Oh absolutely. I was just running the numbers. I hope she’s not dead, especially not so soon.

dont worry, no one is dead . she is unconscious. lol what kind of DM would i be if i killed off someone first battle? lol.

Default Ooc

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepius View Post
    dont worry, no one is dead . she is unconscious. lol what kind of DM would i be if i killed off someone first battle? lol.
    That's very gracious of you. Sorry, wasn't trying to jump the gun on your decision or stir up the ooc. Just rolling with the RAW. Absolutely excited to keep playing with all of you though.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk
    "I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Malcolm Reynolds

No worries. I actually had internal conflict on how I was going to do the damage when I saw the Crits. Let the enemies have the same way of crit damage as you lot of lower it down. I chose to just keep it a level playing field though.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Sleepius View Post
    No worries. I actually had internal conflict on how I was going to do the damage when I saw the Crits. Let the enemies have the same way of crit damage as you lot of lower it down. I chose to just keep it a level playing field though.
    Of course you are the DM and your word is law. I'm just happy to be playing in this game in the first place. That said, the house rule makes the game harder for us players, statistically speaking. When we land a crit, we are going to get guaranteed massive damage from the dice roll plus max damage and will usually kill or severely disable the monster we are attacking. But there is always the next monster, and the next monster, and the one after that. Over the course of the game, we will receive far more attack rolls against each of our characters than we will ever roll against a single monster. 5% of all rolls will be crits, meaning we will be taking massive damage 5% of the time in exchange for likely killing a single monster 5% of the time. You're already probably sick of my statistical analysis so I'll just shut up now, but trust me when I say this makes the game more "hardcore" mode for the PCs. Of course, I'm playing a barbarian so I will usually be taking half damage from normal attacks anyways, and he doesn't really care if he dies - it kinda comes with the territory...
    Last edited by Hideous; 11-28-2018 at 05:59 PM.

Page 2 of 40 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast