Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: A Dinner Date of Deception

Crokoglup blushes a darker shade of green as Galaga's pinky brushes his webbed little finger, but he doesn't pull away. All three grippli listen to your short speech as they settle into the booths.

"There's no need to be modest," Ogwopocroooooak says. "I'm sure as a wealthy heiress your manners are much better than mine, at the very least, although I have tried my best to pick up as much humanoid etiquette as I can."

Crokoglup suddenly picks up his menu and buries his face in it, studying the specials of the night intently. Although you two had earlier agreed to disclose that you weren't an heiress after all, he doesn't seem eager to broach the subject.
    Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 02-19-2019 at 02:36 AM.

Blog Entries

"Heavens know that I haven't! I eat with my hands whenever I can. It is sanitary as long as you have the right technique and keep your hands clean, something easily done." She vaguely mocks a prestidigitation pass to make her point. "Still, I do seem to recall that bringing up topics such as personal finances is considered by some to be quite unappetising, quite literally! That is not my case, and I will happily speak about my wealth with you if you choose to purposely breach etiquette with me. We can speak, what's the word, philosophically about it and still behave, though." With that, and a nonchalant shrug, she gives the floor. Her little finger angrily hooks Crockoglup's. The food on the other tables seems to intermittently distract her.

There's a tense silence at the table for a few seconds. Crokoglup peeks at you gratefully over his menu. Riiiiiiibirii looks awkward, and starts shuffling through his own menu. Ogwopocroooooak stares at you appraisingly. Then, in the sweetest of tones, Ogwopocroooooak says, "You're right, of course. I didn't mean to be crass. Let's talk about something less unappetizing."

Riiiiiiibirii clears his throat, producing a large ribbiting sound that causes some of the goblins a few tables away to give you irritated looks, and tries to change the subject.

"Well, now, you said your second strangest meal was at Laghara Academy, Galaga. I have to know, what was the first one?"

By now all three grippli have their menus open and are browsing them while you all talk, but are clearly still listening to you.

Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 02-20-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Blog Entries

"I got polymorphed into an arachnid by an amateur magic practitioner and stuck in that form for several weeks due to miscasting. Without going into details, my first meal in that form was lamb. A lamb. I needed to liquify its fleshy tissue before being able to swallow and digest it. All the bleating and squirming didn't help," she recalls, sighing with faint nostalgia. "Once you become proficient at it, it loses its novelty. I missed texture and chewing, but I believe my palate gained range, so to speak. Climbing was-- Ooo, crickets!"

Crokoglup squeezes his eyes shut in a grimace. Riiiiiibirii goes pale. Ogwopocroooooak laughs a croaky laugh and says, "Really? Almost the same thing happened to me when I was a second year student! I got into a fight with a graduate student and she turned me into a goliath frog. It was few days before somebody finally found me in the jungle, and in the meantime I ate so many live, wriggly things-."

"Excuse me, I need to go moisten my nose," Riiiiiiibirii croaks. He hops away towards the bathroom. Ogwopocroooooak sighs.

"I forgot about his weak stomach," she says guiltily. "I hope he hasn't completely lost his appetite."

Just then a waiter comes to take your orders. Ogwopocroooooak gets the tea and stuffed trout for herself and the honeysuckle nectar and roasted grub for the currently absent Riiiiiiibirii. Crokoglup requests a glass of water and some prawn curry, along with a basket of roasted crickets for the whole table.

"And you, madam?" the waitress asks you, pencil poised over her notepad.

Blog Entries

Galaga giggles at this, but it sounds like a hiss. "One could think we both are trying to have all the food for ourselves, Ogwopocroooooak."

"Oh, the crab curry, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Alcazar QZR View Post
    Galaga giggles at this, but it sounds like a hiss. "One could think we both are trying to have all the food for ourselves, Ogwopocroooooak."
    Ogwopocroooooak laughs at this remark. She seems to be warming up to you. Once the waitress has ducked into the kitchen to relay your dinner orders, the grippli asks you,

"Tell me, Galaga, what are your plans after graduating from the Academy? Of course Crokoglup wants to be some sort of guide-"

"An Ease-Comfort-and-Safety Ensurer for Journeys Across All Terrains," Crokoglup interjects, with the impatient tone of somebody who's had to make the distinction a thousand or so times before.

"Yes, that," Ogwopocroooooak says. "Are you interested in something similar, or do you have other careers in mind?"
    Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 02-26-2019 at 07:30 PM.

Blog Entries

"Career?" She asks in mock disbelief. "I know that us humanoids look quite similar to each other and it might be hard for you to tell us apart, but I am no human, despite my rounded ears. I am a samsaran. A samsaran’s life is not a linear progression from birth to death, but rather a circle of birth to death to rebirth and... and..."

Five-second pause.

"Fine. I will tell you. I plan to stay in Laghara and shape it into my imag-- Into, into... something more than a mere Academy. Mind, I am aware that there's some research taking place, sure, but the place is mostly concerned with preserving passing down knowledge. Like an enhanced library. I propose an enhanced la-bo-ra-tory! A Community of Masters and Scholars. We shall call it... University. So... Finally answering your question, researcher and scholar. Maybe mercenary battlemage on the side, to make ends meet."

Crokoglup gapes at you in bewilderment and a tiny hint of fear. Ogwopocroooooak, on the other hand, nods approvingly.

"Ah, youthful ambition," she says. "A magical university would certainly be something."

"Can we rewind to the bit where you said you wanted to make Laghara into your own image?" Crokoglup asks. "I don't mean to be rude, but that sounds like the type of thing that mad mages say before they attempt violent coups. You aren't planning a coup, are you?"

Ogwopocroooooak clucks her tongue reprovingly. At least, it would be a cluck if a human did it. Coming from a grippli tongue it sounds much more squishy.

"What an accusation, Crokoglup. Anyways, why do you seem so surprised? I think you should know what your mate's future career plans are by now. Why, Riiiiiiibirii and I were discussing my mayoral designs and his doctoral studies on our very first date."

"W-well," Crokoglup stammers. "Well, we were busy talking about other things. Like... that Galaga's favorite constellation is the Pegasus. And she likes hexagons. And... well, we talk about many things, don't we, honey-grub?"

Blog Entries

"We do, Crokoglup. We do. We've spent most of our time together talking, my sun. And still... Just because you see us trying to accomplish ambitious, beautiful things in life as we meaninglessly sail across the galaxy, that does not mean that you have to do the same. I am just like the pegasus constellation, love: arbitrary and insubstantial, because we treat the sky as a dome and ignore depth and the stars only make a complex polyhedron if you connect them, not a two-dimensional winged equine. And, yes, I do come up with these... little schemes that may be as successful as I think they will be or they may be even more. Those are things that I cannot control yet, Crokoglup. But do you see my point? What is a planet in the vastness of the multiverse? Just let us not deny who we are. If your fate is becoming Master of Sports in...our University or destroying my phylactery, time will tell. Just do not pretend to be someone you are not. And no, I am not planning a coup, I will be elected once they understand I am the only choice. What is sanity, even? Ogwopocroooooak, help me out here."

She has the look of having gone over this before... But when? She doesn't know, but she's going through a very intense deja-vu.
    Last edited by Alcazar QZR; 03-02-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: typos

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast