Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Dinner Date of Deception

Default A Dinner Date of Deception

Sunday, August 13, 1852
    2:30PM
    The second year common room, located on the third floor of he dormitory building, looks remarkably like the first year common room. There are several closed windows. A variety of sofas, loveseats, and cushy chairs, some of them arranged around small round tables. Hallways leading to the bedrooms. An anxious looking grippli boy in tuxedo pants and no shirt pacing in front of the unlit fireplace.

Actually, the half-dressed grippli is unique to this particular common room.

The grippli doesn't seem to notice you entering. He has a red silk shirt in one hand and a ruffly white tuxedo shirt in the other. He's looking from one to the other and muttering to himself.

"Too fancy... or not fancy enough? What's she wearing? ... like the Patel wedding all over again... stupid humanoids and their stupid clothing... maybe with a pocket watch? No... no... a cummerbund!"

Blog Entries

The aspiring conjurer stands tall and confident, arms akimbo.
    "Crokoglup? Hello! My name is Galaga, and I am your date! Fill me in!" "Dates!" Discarding the heroic pose, she slouches, puts an arm around her waist and rests the elbow of the other arm on it with a sudden ruminative air. "What I meant, of course, though, is that I would be your date if you were Crokoglup. Yet not really, since you do not want a date, but someone who pretends to be your date, correct? May I inquire as to why? When will the date take place? Do we need to rehearse lines? What do I need to know about you? I am a humanoid." "Patel? Patel!"

The grippli gives a croak of surprise and whirls around to face you.

"I didn't anybody would actually answer my flyer! Oh, thank Chiuta. And thank you! I really need a date tonight. A fake date, that is. I don't like lying, you know, but my older sister, Ogwopocroooooak is visiting and she's always overshadowing me; she graduated top of her class, she's running for mayor in our homemarsh, she's the grub of our parents' eyes... and today at lunch she announced that she's engaged now, and she's bringing her fiance to dinner tonight, and she wouldn't stop talking about how smart and driven and slippery her precious fiance is, and before I knew it I... I'd blurted out that I was bringing a date too."

Crokoglup gulps nervously before continuing.

"She laughed at me for a good minute, then told me she would have heard if I was dating any of the Grippli here. There aren't many of us at the Academy, you know, so we all know each other. So... I told her I was courting a Humanoid. That we'd been together since the first day of school. And that my 'date'... that is, you were a wealthy heiress and one of the most intelligent students at the Academy. Anyways, we're supposed to meet her in town, at The Riverside Cafe, at six this evening. Apparently it's a fancy place, so we'll have to wear fancy clothing."

"As for what you need to know about me, my name is Crokoglup. Which... you already knew. Yes. From the flyer. Please excuse me, I'm anxious and scattered. Let me think... we've only been 'courting' for a week, so you don't have to know too much... my name is Crokoglup and I hail from Riverbend. Lovely city. Made mostly of large ponds and canals, inhabited mostly by grippli and lizardfolk and merfolk. My parents are fishers. They aren't very wealthy; I'm here on a scholarship, and Ogwopocroooooak was too, before she graduated. What else, what else... I'm here studying Sorcery. My favorite food is coconut curry fish. And, not to boast, but I'm quite good at cross country hopping. I finished third at the regional race this last summer. That's third out of the two hundred and six participants. I have the trophy on my desk in my room. Not that you would have been in my bedroom, of course! But I would have brought the trophy out to the common room to show you if we really were dating. I could still show it to you now, if you want. Not to show off. Just so you know what it looks like if Ogwopocroooooak questions you. She will question you, you know. She won't outright interrogate you, but I'm positive she'll sneak in some questions to trip you up. You'll have to be a quick thinker. Do you think you can?"

Blog Entries

"Oh, I see. I see." She nods and makes encouraging noises as she takes all that in. "Out of two hundered and six? II must see that trophy..."

She seems to have a minor revelation. "Crockoglup? What if, in order to avoid the telling signs of a liar in my tense, fork-tongued exchanges with Ogwopcroooooak, I do not pretend to be a your date!? Let us date! We plan our breakup later. Come, follow me the library, that we may discuss my studies and objects of my curiosity. We should also establish my sizable wealth as a lie on your part. And bring your trophy, if you please. How long do we have to know each other? My favourite colour is saddle brown, my favourite constellation is the Pegasus and was born in 1st December, 1792... What should be the appropriate term of endearment?"

OOC: Sorry about taking so long to post, boss!!

Crokoglup's eyes widen and he leaps backwards, landing just inches away from the fireplace.

"A real date? I... I... I... I'm sure you're a lovely person, Galaga, but... I don't know... you're sure we can break up later? I've never courted anybody before and, to be honest, I'm not sure if I'll like it or not."

Blog Entries

"We certainly can, and most likely will, Crokoglup, dear! Granted, we both must agree on commencing the, erm, dating process, but it can be rescinded unilaterally. I will be a very unobtrusive girlfriend, now can we..." She gestures towards the library for a more intimate understanding of each other's intellectual pursuits and proclivities.

"Well, alright," Crokoglup says, still sounding doubtful. "Let me fetch my trophy."

He hops away to the boys' dormitories. He returns a couple minutes later, wearing a shirt with his pants and holding a wooden statuette of a generic grippli with a crown on its head. The trophy is a foot tall, nearly half the size of Crokoglup.

Your new boyfriend follows you to the library, which is absolutely packed with students. They seem to have been driven inside by the rain. Most of the tables are taken, but you find two places with room for you and Crokoglup: a little wooden table with two wooden chairs near Ms. Huynh's desk at the front of the room, and a plushy two-person sofa closer to the back of the room.

"Well, I suppose we should sit down," Crokoglup says. "Unless you wanted to look at books or walk around or anything first."

Blog Entries

Galaga takes Crokoglup's hand and leads him to the back. "Let us sit here on the sofa so that we may better know each other. Be ready to take notes: These last few months I've been..."

(Ten minutes later)

"... And that's why I decided to become your girlfriend. Do you like honey? I do. I most enjoy hexagons too!"

Crokoglup follows you to the sofa, his clammy, webbed-fingered hand clasped in yours. On the sofa he takes fastidious notes about your recent history. He continues writing a few seconds after you've finished talking, then shakes his hand in front of him.

"Ow. Writer's cramp. You were saying... oh, yes, honey. And hexagons. I'm more of a dragonfly and oval-that's-nearly-a-circle man myself. My last few months haven't been as interesting as yours. Besides the cross country hop I spent most of my summer holiday studying. Since I've been back at school I've also been... mostly studying. And soaking in the pond in the garden. Gerard Scott -one of my roommates- keeps telling me I'm boring and I'm never going to meet any women, but he's never been on a date in his life so I don't think he's one to talk. Oh! Speaking of dates, can you give me advice on what to wear tonight? I haven't grasped all the nuances of clothing yet. I have some casual outfits for school things, but I'm still not sure what you're supposed to wear on dates, and I have to wear something because clothing is 'required' in humanoid cities. Do you think a tuxedo and a bowling hat will suffice?"

Blog Entries

Galaga squints. "Oh, it is tonight then! How exciting! I think one of my roommates might be of help in this regard, her name is Lialda and is an Enchantress in training. She is beautiful by humanoid standards but I believe..." She makes a long pause. "Yet I might be wrong, that monogamy is still the preferred form of relationship. We should ask her about that matter as well. If that's not necessarily the case and she does not find herself otherwise engaged (oh, there is interesting polysemy happening there), she may join us as well, further increasing your status in the eyes your sister! Come with me, boyfriend. Let us settle this. Oh, I should also mention that I only own this very set of clothes and my nightgown. They are of prime quality, mind you, but my lack of variety has been frowned upon by more sartorially-minded humanoids in the past." She stands. "Come, let us find Lialda and prepare for our date."
    Last edited by Alcazar QZR; 10-02-2018 at 02:12 PM.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast