Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Caged Carbuncle

Lacking any instructions regarding how the machine works, Owl takes a moment to thoroughly examine it, including checking to see if it is actually magical (Detect Magic). If it is magical, she will attempt to Identify how it works.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollSpellcraft to Identify properties - (1d20+23) [33]

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

The machine seems to be a mixture of magic and mechanics. You detect a heating spell inside the machine, and find that pressing the blue button causes the machine's nozzle to suck up water, the green button heats it, and the red button turns the machine off.

As Dr. Bianchi's Patent Pending Water Removing Device pulls the water from the small pond, steam billows out of the whistling chimney atop the contraption. The pond is soon completely empty and clean as a whistle -an ornamental whistle, that is, not one that people actually put in their spitty mouths. The only task that remains is to add fresh water to it and return Charles to the cage. Alas, you see no source of fresh water in the office.

The lack of a water source is no inconvenience for Owl. She simply calls upon her magic to Create Water in the pond. Once she has done that, she puts Dr. Bianchi's Patent Pending Water Removing Device back where she found it; then she brings the crate back into the cage, locks the door, and releases Charles. "There you go, Charles. All cleaned up, and a pond full of fresh water." She picks up the little lizard and puts him back on the branch she first saw him on. "Now, I've got to go, but maybe I'll see you again." She very carefully picks up the crate, unlocks and opens the door, and steps out - all while keeping an eye on Charles. When she is clear of the cage door she closes and locks it. Then she puts the crate back where it was and leaves the office, remembering to lock the office door.

------------

Charles seems to resign himself to his situation, slumping over his branch and making no moves to escape. You fetch Professor Ainsley, who examines your work and deems it worthy of the promised fifty points extra credit and a handwritten note excusing you from class for one day this year (not usable on examination days).

"Don't get into too much trouble while you're using it," he says. "Some of the other professors don't think I should be giving these out in the first place. I'd appreciate it if you didn't go proving them right."

"Don't worry, Professor," Owl replies. "I'll probably use it just to get an extra full day of study before an exam."

------------

"How incredibly sensible," Professor Ainsley says. "I'll leave you to enjoy the rest of your weekend, then."

He waves goodbye to Charles, locks Idowu's office, and takes his leave, leaving you alone in the hall.

Owl goes looking for her classmates.

------------

It doesn't take you long to find your classmates, and by 3:00pm you have heard from other students that Galaga and Lialda have gone to your shared room to pick out clothing for a date, Irfan has braved the rainy weather to go look for somebody in the gardens, Dorsard was spotted grabbing a flyer from the notice board and heading into town a little while ago, and Feilim has ran into the woods while shouting at passerby that he's looking for ghosts and is impossible to fool or prank in any way.

Owl decides to return to her room and see what Galaga and Lialda are wearing for this date she's heard about.

------------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123