Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Caged Carbuncle

Default The Caged Carbuncle

Sunday, August 13, 1852.
    2:30PM
    Your flyer tells you to go to Professor Ainsley's for instructions and a key to Professor Idowu's office. You find Ainsley in his own office, stirring a cup of tea idly while he reads a newspaper. The door is propped open with what appears to be a fruitcake. He glances up as you enter.

"Owl. Is there another water elemental on the loose?"

"No, sir. I'm here about cleaning the carbuncle cage."

------------
    Usually online 8 a.m. - midnight CST

Ainsley nods.

"Excellent. I don't mind feeding that thing, but cleaning its cage... I wish Professor Idowu would ask his students to take care of his creatures when he's gone, instead of leaving it to us teachers. Don't tell him I said that. And, uh, don't think that just because I'm criticizing your professor that you can show him any less respect. I shouldn't be saying anything bad about him anyways. He's a fine professor and a fine man. I'm getting off topic. Here."

He pulls two keys and a sheet of paper out of a desk drawer and hands it to you.

"Keys to Professor Idowu's office and the carbuncle's cage, and instructions on the carbuncle's care. You can ignore the bit about feeding; I've done that already. You just need to clean the cage. Come get me when you've finished, so I can take a look. Oh, and please don't lose the carbuncle. Professor Idowu wouldn't be happy."

Last edited by RealWittyAlias; 09-04-2018 at 02:01 AM.

"Don't worry, Professor. I'll be careful." Owl takes the keys and instructions, then leaves the room. Out in the hall she reads the instructions, and reviews what she knows about carbuncles.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollKnowledge Arcana - (1d20+13) [14]

------------

You know that carbuncles are reptiles about three feet long. They slightly resemble large chameleons, except that they have a red horn protruding from between forehead. The horn looks like a red jewel. A ruby, perhaps, or a red diamond. In reality it's simply a reflective growth similar to a fingernail. A very shiny fingernail. This horn crumbles to worthless dust within hours if removed from the carbuncle.

You also know that carbuncles eat fruit and insects, are incredibly shy, and have mild telepathic abilities.

After reviewing the instructions, and her knowledge of carbuncles, Owl proceeds to Professor Idowu's office and unlocks the door. Without hesitating she opens the door, slips in, closes the door, and locks it. Then she looks around the office, hoping to quickly spot the cage with Charles inside.

------------

The key turns easily in the door, allowing you to unlock and then relock it with a soft clicking sound each time. The office is a large, high ceilinged, square room filled with cages and tanks and shelves, with a small desk crammed into the corner to the right of the door.

Most of the animal enclosures are empty and clean. At the far end of the room, however, is a glass enclosure eight by eight feet wide and fifteen foot tall. The floor of the enclosure is covered with dirt and palm leaves, with a shallow pool of clean water off in the back right corner. There's a canopy of leafy tree branches criss crossing over each other in the upper parts of the cage. You can just see the tip of a scaly tail hanging from a lower branch in the back of the enclosure. Presumably the rest of Charlie is hidden behind the leaves. There's a glass door in the center of the cage's front wall.

In front of the glass enclosure is a small wooden crate, large enough to hold little Charlie while you clean the cage. There's also cubic device the height of a sofa. The device is made of metal, with a long flexible tube coiled up on one end of it and what looks like a little brass chimney on the top. "DOCTOR BIANCHI'S PATENT PENDING WATER REMOVING DEVICE" are emblazoned on the front of the machine in a needlessly curly script.

"Hello, Charles," Owl greets the lizard as she approaches his cage. "My name is Owl, and I'm here to clean your room." She has no idea if Charles can really understand her, but it doesn't hurt to be polite. Standing outside the enclosure, she takes a moment to make sure that the tail is still attached to the lizard, then picks up his crate and moves to the cage door.

Authentic Forum Dice-rollDiplomacy if needed - (1d20) [11]

------------

(It would actually be Handle Animal, but you have the same modifier for both so it doesn't matter!)

The tail flicks up into the foliage. A reptilian head pokes out of the leaves and regards you with the bulging eyes set on either side of the shining red horn on its head. Charlie stares at you warily as you pick up the crate.

As you approach the door you feel something. It's a feeling of curiosity, but it doesn't quite feel like you're feeling it. It's foreign. Not from your own mind, but gently nudging it in an attempt to get your attention. You also catch a faint scent -a memory of a scent, really- of chalk and tea and sugar. It smells like Professor Ainsley's office.

"Yes, Charles, I was just in Professor Ainsley's office." Owl carefully unlocks the enclosure, slips in with the crate, and closes the door again. She then sets the crate down and opens it. "I suppose I probably smell a bit like his office right now, don't I? Now, can I put you in the crate, Charles? I promise you'll only be in there long enough for me to clean your room." She watches for the carbuncle's reaction, not sure if he is going to come down or if she needs to take him off the branch.

------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast