Thread: D&D 5e Ongoing Princes of the Apocalypse Looking For New Player(s)

Default D&D 5e Ongoing Princes of the Apocalypse Looking For New Player(s)

Two years ago I started a Play-by-Post campaign of Princes of the Apocalypse on here and we had 5+1 players. Three players left or disappeared, so there's only 3 left.
    Recently a chain of bad decisions let to one of the PCs to die (and another one is still in danger).

The player who lost his PC is going to create a new PC now and as per my rules, all new PCs always start at level 3 with 900 XP.

I felt like this is the perfect time to give others the chance to join in as well.

Information:

System: D&D 5e
    Medium: Play-by-Post

Requirements to join:
    - You are able to post at least once per day; there will be XP penalties for missing your turn in combat and if you miss a day too often you might get kicked from the game (of course I'll first talk with you about it)
    - You need to be able to provide a character sheet with a level 3 character (don't worry too much about the adventure hook, we'll work that out together when your application gets accepted), see rules below
    - You do not know the Princes of the Apocalypse campaign OR you were a player before but your DM disappeared before you got very far (below level 4 and I might even be able to integrate your old character into the story)
    - I'm a DM that's very strict on the rules and combat-oriented, so if you're the type asking for house rules like "I thought of this really cool race I want my PC to be" or if you prefer playing roleplay-heavy Pen&Paper without combat, then you're definitely wrong here; if you enjoy sticking to the rules and love dungeon crawling, then you're very welcome
    - Despite my combat-focus, you still should have the time and motivation to be invested into the campaign and write more than just "I follow the others" and "I attack X", some levels of role-playing make it more enjoyable for everyone

Rules:
    - You can use anything that's in the PHB, you can also use the BasicRules if you don't have the PHB, but then are limited to the races, classes and subclasses listed there
    - In addition, anything in the Princes of the Apocalypse Player's Companion can be used: https://media.wizards.com/2015/downl...sCompanion.pdf
    - No rolling stats! Point-Buy Only! You can use this calc for convenience: http://1-dot-encounter-planner.appsp...alculator.html
    - HP assuming you rolled average (rounded up) for level 2 and level 3 (1d6 -> 4, 1d8 -> 5, 1d10 -> 6, 1d12 -> 7); any MaxHP increases after that will be rolled
    - Starting gear and gold granted by class and background
    - No variant rules
    - No house rules, but there are a bunch of rulings (nothing game-changing so you don't need to read them now but if you are interested, click on button below)

Edit: Oh yeah for your information, our current group is (assuming nobody else dies in the current situation):

Human "Way Of The Open Hand" Monk Level 5
    Half-Elf "Patron: Fiend" Warlock Level 5
    Human Tempest Cleric Level 3 (new character of existing player)
    Last edited by Rya.Reisender; 08-09-2018 at 05:23 PM.

how would you feel about someone who never played 5:e?

I don't mind as long as you fulfill all requirements. That of course involves you having read and understood the D&D 5e basic rules which you an access here: http://media.wizards.com/2015/downlo...yerv3.4_PF.pdf and being able to create a (mostly error-free) character sheet (as I have to judge applicants mostly by how well those are done).

Putting together an half-orc battlemaster.

Two questions: Starting HP? And starting gear/gold?

EDIT: Minus gear and hp, here's the Character Sheet.

I have played PotA but never got past 3rd level. We were investigating a caravan that had gone missing, if I recall, but no real revelations yet.

As far as the character, I used the "Customize a background" guidelines to swap cobbler's tools instead of a gaming set (didn't seem to fit his backstory) and Animal Handling instead of Intimidation (since I got it from racial).
    Last edited by LordFluffy; 08-09-2018 at 04:26 PM.

I added our current group to the opening post.

Quote Originally Posted by LordFluffy View Post
    Putting together an half-orc battlemaster.

Two questions: Starting HP? And starting gear/gold?
    Starting HP is assuming you rolled average (rounded up) for level 2 and 3. So for a 1d10 class with +2 CON it's: 12 -> 20 -> 28 (assuming no special HP bonus)

Gear/gold based on class and background.

EDIT: Minus gear and hp, here's the Character Sheet.
    Will check in detail later, but noticed a type that is says Constitution +11 instead of +1.

I have played PotA but never got past 3rd level. We were investigating a caravan that had gone missing, if I recall, but no real revelations yet.
    Do you remember much of it and is that character still the same as you played? If yes, feel free to tell me the "story so far" via PM. Otherwise we can assume you don't know much, but it's still nice for me to know what you know because we might work out a background story from it.

As far as the character, I used the "Customize a background" guidelines to swap cobbler's tools instead of a gaming set (didn't seem to fit his backstory) and Animal Handling instead of Intimidation (since I got it from racial).
    Yes, that's allowed.

Gear an HP updated, pm sent.

Decided to let LordFluffy / Barlus Gruffhollow join.

Willing to take another player. Will leave that open until Sunday, so people have the whole Saturday to prepare a character sheet.

@Krivak - Still interested?

Won't have time to make a character until Sunday I'm afraid.. Working. I will apply for next time and maybe I have learned all the rules by then.

Alright, no more applications, so I'm closing this here.

@Krivak
    Once you feel confident with the rules and want to join in, feel free to drop me a PM. But keep in mind that I really require the players to bring the time and dedication to post properly daily. (I realize that learning the rules and making a character is more work than doing a post --- but you should be aware that "I can't post much because I'm busy working" wouldn't cut it, so make sure you have enough time to join before sending me a PM.)