Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: OOTA Chapter 5: Vorpal Sword in Hand

Theander seems to lose almost a foot of height as he crouches down, almost shrinking to hide from the devil. His fearful eyes watch it carefully as he quietly stammers out a rough translation of Nyx and Durnash for the others. He then looks at the devil, as if he were about to say something to it, but when he opens it there only comes a soft squeak. He coughs as if to clear his throat and tries again, "And what c-c-cost would we b-bear, Perceiver?"

Durnash smiles and chuckles at Theander. "Clever mortal. I owe you a favor. Slaying this drow fulfills my debt to you. If I have to slay others to defend myself as I fulfill my debt, you will be in my debt."

Come join us on Discord!

As Theander translates the demon's words, something seizes in Jimjar's gut. Debt. No more debt. Not to creatures like this. His face breaks out in a cold sweat and his body shakes uncontrollably as he stands from behind the cart. "Hey, devil!" he tries to shout as his voice cracks. "No deal for me. I won't be in debt to you."

^You would deny me the fulfillment of my debt, little mortal?^ The same scratchy voice is now in Jimjar's head, but he can understand it. ^That is not wise.^

Come join us on Discord!

Jimjar's face is twisted in terror, but he has broken in this way before. He won't allow himself to break again. "I deny you the ability to put me in debt, devil. I reject any bargain or gamble that would allow you to put me in your debt."

^That is not your decision to make alone, little mortal.^

Come join us on Discord!

Jimjar shouts back, "It absolutely is! Fulfill your debt? Fine! But, you will not do anything that places me in your debt. I won't be a debtor! Not again and not to you!"

Malbocco mutters in common, "Gruumsh's eye, this devil is a disappointment."

Shuushar can't believe he's saying this, but the words fall from his scaly lips regardless: "It ishh too late. The deal hashh been made and the devil hashh been shhummoned. Our feelingshh on the matter are no longer relevant. For better or worshhe, thishh path ishh our path. Let ushh walk it together."

Turning to the devil, the kuo-toa gulps and adds, "I ashhk you, powerful one, to do your beshht to shhlay the drow prieshhtesshh in shhecrechhy and shhilenchhe. We do not wish for any more liveshh loshht than ishh nechhesshhary, nor do we wishh to be in your debt, ashh debtshh mushht be repaid, ashh you well know. We thank you for your shhervichhe thishh day."
    Last edited by Ra-thalun; 07-26-2018 at 02:58 PM.

Jimjar is horrified at the words coming out of Shuushar. "N..N..No!" He shakes his head and clutches his stomach as if he was in pain. "No, none of you get to speak for me."

He grits his teeth and winces as he steps away from the kuo-toa. "You say that you are in debt to all of us. I presume that pot was split evenly among us. I forgive the portion of that debt owed to me. You owe me nothing, devil." His voice rises in strength, "Our business together is finished and I want nothing more to do with you. If you need to act to resolve your debt to the others, that is between you and them. I decline any of your services or deals. I refuse even the possibility of being in debt to you. Is that understood and satisfactory, devil?"

Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast