Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: OOTA Chapter 5: Vorpal Sword in Hand

Malbocco shrugs at the suggested alternative to bloodshed and looks up into the inky black of the cavern's ceiling.

"I will do ashh you all wishh," Shuushar replies placidly, as if discussing lunch options instead of life or death.

Nyx gives a soft sigh at all the differing, but rather wishy washy opinions and options going about. "We're literally in their faces right now," Nyx says. "We can't take them on head on, and we probably won't be able to get away even if manage to kill some of them. Not to mention, we really need them out of our hair if we want to take care of our own business. I'm not gonna hold onto this favor forever, and now seems like a good time to call it in."

With that being said, Nyx doesn't know how to actually call for the devil they met ages ago. She closes her eyes, as if trying to focus on something, and she whispers in Infernal, "Alright devil. If you can hear me, I'm calling in my favor now. I need you to destroy the drow forces that are down below us, and give us ample time to leave the scene behind us. And I don't want anything from your end attacking us, alright?"

The first thing you notice is the temperature of the room rises. Then the smell shifts from damp earth and mold to rotten eggs. Then you hear a clicking sound as a toothy mouth appears from the darkness. It would almost be described as smiling, but the two massive tusks rising from the lower jaw break any sense of benevolent happiness that one might remotely have thought existed. The rest of the devil emerges. It walks on two clawed, lizard-like feet with inverted knees. Its nether regions are covered by a loincloth held up by a silver belt, but the rest of its reddish, leathery, wart-covered skin is bare. It has four arms - two scrawny emerging from behind the neck, and two brawny emerging from the shoulders. In the two brawny arms is a massive scythe, and emerging from its posterior are three massive scorpion-like stingers.

It speaks in Infernal, which only Nyx and Theander speak. Its voice is scratchy, but there is depth to, like it is echoing from the back of a dark cave or the bottom of a deep well. "Of course I can hear you. I am not called Durnash the Perceiver for no reason." It surveys your group. "You keep much the same company, though some have gone." It sniffs and looks at Eldeth, "And some are going. It's not been long since I offered you my aid. Most mortals save calling in a favor such as this for when they are in great distress, unless they care little for their souls. So... which are you?"

Come join us on Discord!

Nyx can feel her gut sink, but her blood boil at the same time as the devil morphs into existence. She had deliberately invoked a devil and ignored Jimjar's words, and she had a feeling if he had made a bet with her beforehand, he'd be winning it right now. Still, she had already called forth the entity, and there was no telling what he could do to them if she scorned his help now. She points over to where Jimjar had scouted towards and answered back in Infernal, "We know that we have enemies in this place, and their numbers keep growing by the day. We've managed to avoid them so far, but with how many they have now, it's only a matter of time before they find and capture us. We need to be rid of them, without any harm to ourselves."

Authentic Forum Dice-rollReligion Check - (1d20+3) (14) [17] (If Arcana can apply instead, +3. Does Nyx know anything about this type of devil, or possibly the identity of this particular devil?)
    Authentic Forum Dice-rollInsight Check - (1d20+2) (13) [15] (Asking alot here, but how "honest" is this devil? Also, can Nyx pick up anything else from the "and some are going" statement?)
    Authentic Forum Dice-roll Persuasion Check - (1d20+2) (13) [15] (If it applies)

Nyx recognizes it as a koralk devil, often called a harvester devil, though it is not the only devil to share that unofficial name. Unlike the other harvester devils (called falxugon devils), which are the stereotypical devils who make deals for souls, koralk devils are able to harvest the souls of those they kill, immediately turning those souls into the lowest kinds of devils. This makes them incredibly dangerous, but also incredibly attractive to those poor souls who long for admission to the structure of the Hells, hoping that the infernal system will be fairer to them than those here in the mortal world.

He hasn't said anything that could easily be understood to be objectively true or false, so you have no clear opinion of his honesty besides your pre-existing biases. He said he was "the Perceiver" and he sniffed at Eldeth as he made the comment... perhaps he perceived something in her that would indicate her impending departure? Though what kind of departure that would be is certainly unclear.

"So you wish me to take a life?" The devil chuckles. "I suppose you are both, then. Very well. Name the life."

Come join us on Discord!

Jimjar backs away at the devil’s appearance, moving to hide behind the cart, but unable to look away. The words were all alien, but his heart was heavy in his chest regardless. Nyx was making a bad deal and Jimjar couldn’t help but feel like if he had been better somehow then this would have never happened. It didn’t matter in the end. Jimjar could see the greedy lust in the devil’s eyes and they were transfixed on Nyx, and for everything that Jimjar had done, he was the same coward who failed his family. He didn’t have the courage to lay down the dice then and he didn’t have the courage to speak up now. He just stands there, silent, hiding, and hating himself more by the moment.

Shuushar had been feeling good about his recent decisions. Yes, he'd ended his vow of pacifism, but he'd done it to join good and strong people, brave ones with hearts that beat for Life and Hope, not Hate and Death (as so very many did down here in the Underdark).

But upon seeing the devil rise, the spiritual kuo-toa blanched visibly (not easy to do for one with scales, it's worth mentioning) and stepped backward. First one step, then two.

Violence he could accept, he'd decided after long deliberation...but could he accept this too, even if it was for the greater good? If he couldn't, what was he to do? And if he could...what did that say about him?

Malbocco rose as soon as the summoning began. His axe is in his hand, though he holds it low at his side.

He stares at the devil with his fiercest gaze, though a bead of sweat blossoms at his temple.

"She's a drow priestess... her name is Ilvara," Nyx states simply in infernal. "If she dies, her forces will be in disarray, at least for some time..."

Page 2 of 83 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast